Jacob Markström - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I just don't get why Markstrom hasn't been given at least half the starts—Miller is so ****ing average that there's no competitive edge putting him in over Markstrom.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If this team implodes down the stretch there will be no excuses for not rotating the goalies at the very least....with Miller less than 50-50 at being resigned, why wouldn't you do this anyway?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I just don't get why Markstrom hasn't been given at least half the starts—Miller is so ****ing average that there's no competitive edge putting him in over Markstrom.

You have to blame Willie Wonka for this one....he's convinced Miller is "one of the best in the league (he isn't) and treats him the way Linus treated his 'security blanket'....I'm convinced that if Markstrom played more and got into a groove, he'd be at least as good as Miller, and probably better.....but won't happen with this coach.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
You have to blame Willie Wonka for this one....he's convinced Miller is "one of the best in the league (he isn't) and treats him the way Linus treated his 'security blanket'....I'm convinced that if Markstrom played more and got into a groove, he'd be at least as good as Miller, and probably better.....but won't happen with this coach.

Even if he wasn't at least you know where you stand. Marky is supposed to be a key part of the rebuilt team, we know next to nothing.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
Even if he wasn't at least you know where you stand. Marky is supposed to be a key part of the rebuilt team, we know next to nothing.

You wouldn't know from 40 or 50 games, either. Goaltending is very hard to predict, there's a long list of goalies that had a good 40 or 50 games and never amounted to much after that. I was really hoping that Markstrom would grab the net from Miller but that just hasn't happened. An unproven Markstrom is cheaper and shorter term, though, so it's not all bad. I hope they sign him for 2 or 3 years at 1b money and find someone for him to compete with for the net with Demko honing his game and providing depth in the minors.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
You wouldn't know from 40 or 50 games, either.

We'd know a hell of a lot more.

If he breaks down under load for example.

If he stinks the place out, you take action.

Goaltending is very hard to predict, there's a long list of goalies that had a good 40 or 50 games and never amounted to much after that. I was really hoping that Markstrom would grab the net from Miller but that just hasn't happened. An unproven Markstrom is cheaper and shorter term, though, so it's not all bad. I hope they sign him for 2 or 3 years at 1b money and find someone for him to compete with for the net with Demko honing his game and providing depth in the minors.

They already signed him. $3.66m x 3 years, starting next year. So either we go into next year blind with him as the undisputed #1 or we try to cover our butts and sign a mediocre $4-5m veteran. It's a mess.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
VQYL7Id.png

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
They already signed him. $3.66m x 3 years, starting next year. So either we go into next year blind with him as the undisputed #1 or we try to cover our butts and sign a mediocre $4-5m veteran. It's a mess.

I don't see it as a mess. $6-8M in capspace spent on goaltending is quite reasonable and I think in today's NHL, it's important to have a quality backup goalie who can carry the load if need be. Look at what happened to the Habs last year when Price went down. And how many of us saw going into the season with Lack and Markstrom as starters as a mess? Markstrom + proven NHL goalie would be superior to that combo on paper.

The reality is that an established above average #1 goalie who has the proven ability to play 60+ games costs more than $4M a year in cap space. When Markstrom was extended it was easy to see that the Canucks would need to acquire someone to team with Markstrom for at least a year or two until Demko is hopefully ready. I don't anticipate the Canucks signing a goalie (unless he's Miller) who makes more than Markstrom. I anticipate the Canucks going with Markstrom and signing a good goalie to a 1-2 year contract to push and to team up with Markstrom.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
He had a poor game tonight but it's laughable how Miller continually gets a pass for being far less consistent.

His history is playing better with more work. Miller plays better with less work.

Pretty simple that he should be getting more starts.

thepoeticgoblin

Dec 16, 2011
Sweden

I'm not that good with "advanced stats" but my read of that is that he's performing quite well?

I want to see him thrown into more games. Bad game last night but overall, he continues to mirror Miller's performance with way less starts and rhythm. He usually excels with a heavier workload too. Trial by fire down the stretch, please.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Markstrom is another guy who desperately needs to get away from Willie in order to enhance his development, and hopefully this happens by next season....just play Markstrom and Demko next year....what's the worst that can happen?....another 28th place finish?....they're accomplishing that with Miller in goal.:shakehead

thepoeticgoblin

Dec 16, 2011
Sweden
Markstrom is another guy who desperately needs to get away from Willie in order to enhance his development, and hopefully this happens by next season....just play Markstrom and Demko next year....what's the worst that can happen?....another 28th place finish?....they're accomplishing that with Miller in goal.:shakehead

He had his chance. He blew it.

:sarcasm:

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Why in the hell did we re-sign Markstrom for 3 years $3.66MM if we're not going to play the guy and give him a chance?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Why in the hell did we re-sign Markstrom for 3 years $3.66MM if we're not going to play the guy and give him a chance?

Because Willie has a totally skewed sense of 'accountability'.....Miller flat out cost the Canucks at least one point, and maybe even two points in Boston but he gets a pass; Markstrom let's in a couple of softies against the Blues, and he rides the pine.

thepoeticgoblin

Dec 16, 2011
Sweden
Because Willie has a totally skewed sense of 'accountability'.....Miller flat out cost the Canucks at least one point, and maybe even two points in Boston but he gets a pass; Markstrom let's in a couple of softies against the Blues, and he rides the pine.

Yup. Marky greatly outplays Miller in December, then plays 6 in 6 weeks because Miller got hot.

Willie is just bad. But he's trying to keep his job and he believes (wrongly IMO) that Miller is better than Marky.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Yup. Marky greatly outplays Miller in December, then plays 6 in 6 weeks because Miller got hot.

Willie is just bad. But he's trying to keep his job and he believes (wrongly IMO) that Miller is better than Marky.

Then Jimbo needs to deal Miller and force his coach to suck it up and play Markstrom....they're a lottery team anyway, so what does it matter?

thepoeticgoblin

Dec 16, 2011
Sweden
So, Benning came out and said that it'll be up to Willie to decide whether Marky plays more down the stretch or not - so I'm assuming he won't (as I believe Benning pushed for the 50/50 to end last season).

So. We have 20 games left, and Marky will miss at least 3 of those. So what's the split for those 17? Best case scenario is at least an 10-7 split in Marky's favor, but more likely we will see a 10-7 (minimum) in favor of Miller. Marky played in 33 games last season (30 starts) and is at 26 GP (23 starts) this season, and we all know that 10-11 of those has been at backends of back to backs, and a handful of other starts has been results of injuries to Miller. All this after extending Marky to a 3x$3,67M contract.

Point? We will be exactly where we started this season when we wrap it up. We don't know if Marky can be a starter, and it looks like Miller will be brought back. Will Miller accept $4M or less or are we going to spend a ridiculous money on our goalies next year?

Tl;dr we wasted a year of development for Marky, now how do we move on from here? I think the handling of the goalies is so telling for our reluctance to fully commit to rebuilding - which I believe Benning still hinted at even after making rebuild-like moves this TDL.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Just so confused why we gave Markstrom a big money extension without giving him the chance to show what we have.

Miller is going to be 37 years old next year. If he's not taking a 1 year $2MM to be Markstrom's mentor then it's a complete waste.

thepoeticgoblin

Dec 16, 2011
Sweden
Just so confused why we gave Markstrom a big money extension without giving him the chance to show what we have.

Miller is going to be 37 years old next year. If he's not taking a 1 year $2MM to be Markstrom's mentor then it's a complete waste.

I used to see it as Jim valuing Marky higher than Willie - but the complete lack of pushback on the deployment has left me wondering. Marky's agent must have pulled a number on Jim, as he is almost overpaid for how we use him now? Of course, his new contract doesn't kick in until next season though.

Miller is not accepting $2M. I think he'll get at least $4M. I just hope it's a one year deal, and none of that NTC-nonsense (as no other team wants him).

Edit: final complaint - Marky has played SIX games in 2017. Six. And that's after a very impressive December where he completely destroyed Miller performance wise. Six games! :lol:

Last edited:

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011

Won't be the first time or the last a coach goes against management's wishes.

Intent from both sides is pretty clear given their actions.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Markstrom is another guy who'll thrive under a different coach next year....and if that coach is Travis Green, he'll be even better....but if Willie insists on playing Miller three out of every four games in the last 20 meaningless games, then Jimbo needs to step in with an executive order.

With Miller likely gone as a UFA in two months, we still have no idea whether the team has a legitimate starting goaltender for next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad