Jacob Markström - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

thepoeticgoblin

Dec 16, 2011
Sweden
Still hoping he remains a Canuck. Should see action in the upcoming back to back but after that Miller will be back and Marky can go back go Utica and fight for the Calder Cup.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
Doubt that.

Any player that can't be sent down without clearing waivers has little value when you need to send him down and he actually clears.

When players have been available for nothing, and no one bites, their value has been pretty much set.

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011
Any player that can't be sent down without clearing waivers has little value when you need to send him down and he actually clears.

When players have been available for nothing, and no one bites, their value has been pretty much set.

You think he's going to be sent down this season??

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
You think he's going to be sent down this season??

It's all based on Miller's return. When he comes back ready to play, Marky goes back down. So depends on Miller now and later on just how long both teams last in the playoffs.

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011
It's all based on Miller's return. When he comes back ready to play, Marky goes back down. So depends on Miller now and later on just how long both teams last in the playoffs.

Miller's not expected to return till the playoffs.

We got good AHL goaltending for a season and will likely lose him for nothing in the summer. Don't know if I would call that a "steal"

RFA in 2015. Canucks could very well sign him and keep him in Utica. He'll be 26 next year.

No reason to lose him for nothing in the summer, or in the new season. He's been remarkable in his stint in Utica, and hopefully showcases himself to back up Lack fulltime in a year or two, or if Lack is traded, with his higher return value, then Miller's backup next season, or two.

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011
Just a hunch, but I think it's either the NHL or back to Sweden for him next season.

I doubt that. There's nothing for him there. Your hunch is as good as mine though, so you may very well have a hunch that is correct. If it's the NHL then he's on the path to that with the Nucks in a year or even, which would still make him only 27. With a year or two under his belt with Rollie, there's time for him to become what I and others expected him to become, albeit earlier.

thepoeticgoblin

Dec 16, 2011
Sweden
There have been rumors in the swedish press about SHL-teams approaching both Marky and Jokie. I would think Markström - who is having a strong season all in all - would prefer to stay in NA but it's still up in the air. I would prefer him staying with VAN. If he keeps this up, have another strong camp - then he might be the real backup at the next trade deadline. It's not the time to lose patience when your shot in a proper organization is around the corner.

Him leaving for Europe is definitely a possibility though, but it all depends on the interest around the league of course.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Markie is the next Devan Dubnyk somewhere in the NHL...while Miller is trending towards Ilya Bryzgalov-Tim Thomas territory...but of course we who who JB will keep:huh:

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
There have been rumors in the swedish press about SHL-teams approaching both Marky and Jokie. I would think Markström - who is having a strong season all in all - would prefer to stay in NA but it's still up in the air. I would prefer him staying with VAN. If he keeps this up, have another strong camp - then he might be the real backup at the next trade deadline. It's not the time to lose patience when your shot in a proper organization is around the corner.

Him leaving for Europe is definitely a possibility though, but it all depends on the interest around the league of course.

I wouldn't blame Markstrom or Eriksson if they looked elsewhere. I would assume that Markstrom would be able to find at least a backup role in the NHL somewhere next season and Eriksson could see some good offers overseas.

This goalie situation is going to be really interesting to follow

E D

Winger Super Squad
Feb 13, 2012
Canadia
I can see Markstrom pushing for a roster spot somewhere in the NHL next season. Don't know if it'll be here or somewhere else, but I can still see him being a capable NHL starter in a few years time. He's put up the numbers at the AHL level consistently. At some point that HAS to translate to the NHL level..... right? Hopefully whaatever is preventing him from reaching that goes away next year.

thepoeticgoblin

Dec 16, 2011
Sweden
Just run Lack and Markstrom next year. Please. Trade Miller. For the love of all that is good.

I would love it - but I doubt it. It's not that I don't think the organization values Marky, it's just that there is too much prestige invested in Miller.

In other news, Marky picked up two individual awards for his season and was voted to 2nd All-Star Team in the AHL this weekend.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
I would love it - but I doubt it. It's not that I don't think the organization values Marky, it's just that there is too much prestige invested in Miller.

In other news, Marky picked up two individual awards for his season and was voted to 2nd All-Star Team in the AHL this weekend.

When prestige takes precedence over priorities (like maximizing cap efficiency) you're in for a bad time.

But yeah I think egos being too big is a possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad