Value of: Jacob Josefson

SchneidsAndHynes35

Feb 24, 2013
Josefson is currently a 25 y/o bottom six center....good defensively, nice skater, injury prone and just hasn't put it all together since being taken in first round in 2009.

He was just extended as an RFA but he'll have to prove his worth to Shero.

What do other teams think of him -- would you take a flier on him for a low risk dman

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
We'll swap you Lander, our 25 year old, Swedish, bottom 6, defensive center who's not injury prone, has great leadership, and shown flashes of offensive upside, but had a tough year last year.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Both these players have more upside than they've shown and new surroundings would benefit them both.

Anaheim needs bottom-6 forwards, we'll take them both off your hands cheap.

Last edited:

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
JJ has next to no value. Better to stick him on the 4th line and let him kill penaltys with the Devils than trade him for an extremely late round draft pick, cause you're not getting anything more than that.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
Dallas has 8 Dman atm and don't have a 4th line center, although we have 13 forwards atm. We do need another guy to kill penalties

Any interest in Jamie Oleksaik for JJ?

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Both these players has more upside than they've shown and new surroundings would benefit them both.

Anaheim needs bottom-6 forwards, we'll take them both off your hands cheap.

No. Jacob Josefson doesn't have any upside. He's a lovable guy, so a lot of Devils fans give him a free pass, but he's a utility forward. Responsible defensively, good in shootouts. But he can't score five on five. He's literally one of the worst even strength scorers in the entire league. He had two points even strength last year. TWO. Better than Tuomo Ruutu I suppose, but yeah. Little to no upside there.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
I forget exactly what the stat is, but it's something along the lines of Jacob Josefson being literally the least productive 5v5 forward in the NHL.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
I forget exactly what the stat is, but it's something along the lines of Jacob Josefson being literally the least productive 5v5 forward in the NHL.

This is true. Almost all his points come on the PP.

If you need someone to play 4th line, PP, PK, and shootout, he's your man. If not, he's useless.

Devils are better off keeping him and then letting him walk next year if they don't want him any more than trading him for a 6th rounder.

MoonDragn

Mar 28, 2007
Maryland
No. Jacob Josefson doesn't have any upside. He's a lovable guy, so a lot of Devils fans give him a free pass, but he's a utility forward. Responsible defensively, good in shootouts. But he can't score five on five. He's literally one of the worst even strength scorers in the entire league. He had two points even strength last year. TWO. Better than Tuomo Ruutu I suppose, but yeah. Little to no upside there.

JJ is the key cog in our PP and really useful on our PK. I don't think it is worth trading him away.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus

He showed that he had more upside during the WC:s 2015.

Also, NJ isn't the right place for him. Seems like it isn't the right place for any Swedish forwards for some reason.

Would like to see what JJ could do in Arizona for instance. Or in NYR during their semi-retool.

Hally BlackWood

Jul 31, 2010
Thunder Bay
These guys are a dime a dozen. Every team has one of these guys. Toronto has Holland can probably have him for a bag of pucks. No room on the team for him anymore.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Dallas has 8 Dman atm and don't have a 4th line center, although we have 13 forwards atm. We do need another guy to kill penalties

Any interest in Jamie Oleksaik for JJ?

What's the story with Oleksiak?
Other than being huge I don't know much about him

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
What's the story with Oleksiak?
Other than being huge I don't know much about him

He needs time to develop but is playing for a team with no time to wait for him behind another player of a similar age who needs the same development time but also won't be getting it. He needed a bit of consistency IMO but instead went from Northeastern to Saginaw to Soo to Dallas under Gulutzen to Cedar Park under Desjardins to Dallas under Ruff between 10-11 and 13-14. Hasn't really caught up to guys who cann't be beaten by being tall yet.

His value as a cheap guy already on the roster who has some experience has far outweighed the possible returns to this point. Right now Josefson wouldn't be playing for us either so I don't see much of a point for this kind of deal. If you don't have somebody worth playing now, a 3rd would be a good return for him IMO and maybe you can turn him into a regular NHLer but Josefson doesn't really do anything for Dallas.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
He needs time to develop but is playing for a team with no time to wait for him behind another player of a similar age who needs the same development time but also won't be getting it. He needed a bit of consistency IMO but instead went from Northeastern to Saginaw to Soo to Dallas under Gulutzen to Cedar Park under Desjardins to Dallas under Ruff between 10-11 and 13-14. Hasn't really caught up to guys who cann't be beaten by being tall yet.

His value as a cheap guy already on the roster who has some experience has far outweighed the possible returns to this point. Right now Josefson wouldn't be playing for us either so I don't see much of a point for this kind of deal. If you don't have somebody worth playing now, a 3rd would be a good return for him IMO and maybe you can turn him into a regular NHLer but Josefson doesn't really do anything for Dallas.

Thanks for the info

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island

Also, NJ isn't the right place for him. Seems like it isn't the right place for any Swedish forwards for some reason.

Would like to see what JJ could do in Arizona for instance. Or in NYR during their semi-retool.

I don't think the Rangers have any room for him.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg

If the World Championships meant anything- especially when it came to Team Sweden- Lander and Moller would be NHL stars. Instead, they're just as disposable as Josefson.

Josefson is what he is at this point. There's not a whole lot of mystery left with that player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad