Jackman or Polak?

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Who's the better defenseman? Also if you could have had the exact Gunnarson deal with Jackman there instead of Polak would you?

Was going to post in polls section, but decided it would be better here.

anlongo13

Aug 6, 2014
Ottumwa, IA
Absolutely I would trade either player for Gunnarsson. He is a great fit for the Blues. That is in no way a knock on the other two. I am a big Polak fan, and I think Jackman is a great fit for his third line role.

As for the poll question, Polak over Jackman.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
Who's the better defenseman? Also if you could have had the exact Gunnarson deal with Jackman there instead of Polak would you?

Difficult to say, Jackman is a much smarter hockey player, but I kind of preferred Polak's physical strength back there. Jackman is as mean as they come, but he cant outmuscle bigger forwards. I doubt Toronto would have wanted Jackman as much, older, more expensive, one year closer to free agency.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Who is the better defenseman? All things considered, it is Polák today. Jax is starting to wear down, I think he is still a good option on the third pairing (with the right partner) and I expect he'll take the discount needed to stick around next season.

Would I have traded Jax instead of Polák in that deal if possible? Yes.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Jackman is more expensive and on his last legs. So, The blues probably would have been a little better off trading jackman for gunnarsson. But that probably really won't matter much in the long run, as The Blues will probably upgrade with younger, cheaper and better defencemen over either of those 2 costly 3rd pairing D-men.

TorontoMapleLeafsFan*

I would prefer having Roman Polak as he is younger, tougher and is more aggressive then B.Jackman. Also Roman Polak is a right-handed defenseman in which a lot of teams need.

Last edited by a moderator:

RR10*

Polak easily. He's younger, tougher, harder to beat, better along the boards and protecting the net, better at clearing the puck out of the zone. Never liked Jackman, he is bad positionally and makes lots of boneheaded plays/mistakes.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
At this point, Polak is the better defenseman. Jax is starting to slow down. I would have traded Jackman instead of Polak in a heartbeat, but I have a feeling the Leafs would never have accepted that. As it stands, I'm still happy with the trade. I'd rather have Gunnarsson and Jackman than Polak and no Gunnarsson.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Polak was horrible last year and despite his strength he wasn't imposing. At least Jax can agitate. If anything needs to happen this offseason, we need to find some beef on the bun that lays people out.

The Grouch

Jan 31, 2009
Jackman is currently the better player, but it's close. In terms of career it is Jackman for sure. He has outplayed Polak in every season since Polak entered the league. However, Jackman is getting older and Polak(who is 5 years younger) is still in his prime. I still like Jackman for this season and possibly next, but I expect Polak will eventually surpass him, as he should.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
As an avid Polak fan, Jackman is the answer here.

Better all around and smarter. Polak might start to look better here as Jackman ages, but overall Jackman will have been a better defenseman than Polak becomes.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
If I'm getting the Roman Polak from last year, I'll quite happily take Barrett Jackman. The only thing I'll say for Polak is that it would be nice having another RH defenseman. I liked Polak but never thought he was better than Jackman.

But Carl Gunnarsson is much better than both.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Jackman was the right answer for this year. Also, can the dude get a little love for hitting two overtime playoff winners? I know it was a sad ending, but those were clutch shots that might have looked more heroic under different circumstances.

But he's also dropping off rather precipitously. I am not sure he should be projected into the line-up after this current contract expires, regardless of whether he takes a discount. On the bottom pairing this season, he's a great fit.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
So easy choice. Roman Polak. Any time any place Roman is much better player. Even last year Polak was more secure d-zone then Jackman and I found also Roman got better legs, hard hitter, decent on blueline and he got that I.Q to push in the net when there is opportunity. These games what I have seen Jackman doing when he is going o-zone corners, I have start my sec clock when he is going to loose it and we have situation where slow as **** defender is o-zone and somebody have to take his spot on defence.

Actually I don't see any areas where Jackman is better, maybe 'leaderships', but we have enough people for that.
After this year Jackman is going to be even more slower and out of synch. How long we are going to support this vet? I know he got big history on blues, but how much more Petteri Lindbohm will give us next season? We could use Jackman easily as a 7-8th d-man.

fcpremix88

Mar 9, 2007
Tampa
I'm the only one to pick even? I figured you got Polak's youth, speed, and strength vs Jackman's experience and grit. Both are top-notch 3rd pairing guys and can play in the top 4 in a pinch.

Jeeper

Mar 30, 2009
St Louis "Area"
Jackman, but it's close. Polak never did look right after he was injured...no more "don't open the Polak door" stuff...

Jax knows his role, a stay at home defenseman...although I wish he'd unleash a few more shots from the blueline...he's got a cannon, he just doesn't use it enough. I'm happy enough with him on the third line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad