Jackets trying to get the 3rd OA Pick (For Anisimov, Rychel, and 8OA?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC 2m2 minutes ago

Don Maloney also said today he's getting offers making him consider moving down from number 3. My guess: one of those teams is Columbus.

Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC 1m1 minute ago

Blue Jackets are looking for one of the top D, and Jarmo Kekalainen is not afraid to be aggressive.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
What if anything would you trade outright for the pick?

I don't know if we have enough depth to trade a whole lot but if some package of Anisimov, Cam, Rychel, 2016 #1, 2015 2nds, Anderson, Prout, Calvert, Connauton could be put together I'd have to really consider it.

Having Hanifin/Provorov & Werenski could solidify the D for years to come. Or one of the top D plus a good player at 8 would also be nice.

Our best bet though may be to be the team swapping spots.

I don't know if we have the guns to pull off this kind of trade. Friday should be interesting at least; disappointing at worse and tremendous at best.

I'd do any combination of the guys/picks you mentioned. I'd rather do that than trade up with our 8th. Having the top D (in our opinion) and then one of the other 2 or a guy like Rantanen would be great.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
In today's Cannon Fodder, AP talked about Rychel, the #8, and #38 (?) to AZ for #3, speculating that the Yotes would at least have to listen.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Getting 3 without trading 8 would be like Wennberg + Rychel + Milano + more. I don't think we'd be interested in gutting our forward pool to stock our D pool. Getting one of Hanifin/Provorov is good enough for me.

I highly doubt it would take anything close to that.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite

Agreed. Arizona doesn't even know who they want to take and could trade as low as 10 and still draft someone good and pick up a couple more great assets. I don't think they're asking for a king's ransom.

EDIT: sorry, forgot we were talking about trading out of the first round completely.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009

Trading from #3 overall to outright trading out of the first round? It took 40 goal scoring Jeff Carter for 8th overall and Voracek. Draft picks in the top 10, let alone top 3, have huge value. Especially this year.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Maybe I'm not understanding correctly. If we're suggesting 8th overall + for 3rd then it won't take the kings ransom to get up. Maybe like Rychel and a 2nd like mentioned above, but if we're trying to get 3rd without dealing 8? It's going to take a boat load.

CBJSlash

Aug 13, 2003
The Bus
Visit site
Without a doubt in my mind, it's Jarmo. Love it!

I have to think that the Yotes would be hesitant to drop out of the 1st round entirely. Would love to the player they are offered. I'd be willing to wager RNH or Eberle and Boston and Hamilton would be possible.

Last edited:

CBJfan4evr

Mar 8, 2008
New Albany
So who needs D and has a young player to move move that picks in the top 10. Multiple teams with offers. Gotta be a team 6-10. Were one of them, My Money is on Colorado as the other.

Draft preview on Colorado from Today's Slapshot website

Organizational Strengths

Semyon Varlamov is a workhorse in goal and is signed at a reasonable $5.9 million per year through 2018-19. Having a stable situation between the pipes is crucial in today’s NHL, and this is not a concern for the Avs in the foreseeable future.
Nathan MacKinnon, Gabriel Landeskog and Matt Duchene are as good as it gets when finding three forwards to build an offense around. They are lightning fast, fun to watch, and extraordinarily talented young blue-chip players. Ryan O’Reilly is terrific as well, though he might be the trade chip the Avs use to fortify other areas of team need.
Tyson Barrie and Erik Johnson give Colorado a strong pair of defensemen to build their blue line around, though this is an area which needs some solidifying if the Avalanche can bounce back in 2015-16.
GM Joe Sakic enters the off-season with more than $10 million under the NHL salary cap with no high-priced UFAs or RFAs to worry about. This gives him apt wiggle-room to improve his team through trades or the free-agent market.

Organizational Weaknesses

The Avalanche desperately need more depth on their blue line. Outside of Barrie and Johnson, there are no names which strike fear into the heart of the opposition. When Johnson went down with an injury in 2014-15 the remainder of their defense was clearly overmatched by the talented forward corps of divisional rivals like Chicago, St. Louis and Minnesota. Is O’Reilly the chip which can attain them a much-needed talent infusion on the back end?

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Maybe I'm not understanding correctly. If we're suggesting 8th overall + for 3rd then it won't take the kings ransom to get up. Maybe like Rychel and a 2nd like mentioned above, but if we're trying to get 3rd without dealing 8? It's going to take a boat load.

I think this is it. I don't think we have that one guy who is dynamic enough to get them out of the first round all by himself.
I think we are the swap picks with team. 8 & 38 and a player who I would like to think is Rychel but as guys on the AZ board point out they have LW's. Maybe Wennberg? I'd hate to lose him but then we re-sign Arty and that fills that hole.

Man Friday can't get here soon enough.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Trading from #3 overall to outright trading out of the first round? It took 40 goal scoring Jeff Carter for 8th overall and Voracek. Draft picks in the top 10, let alone top 3, have huge value. Especially this year.

And you are saying it is going to take more than 3 recent 1st round picks. That is like saying it would take more than the 14th, 16th, and 19th. Not to mention those guys have proven more than guys in this draft have. The 3rd is not worth that much.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
I'm not a proponent of this but there's a ton of smoke here. Seems we've got a good shot at seeing us move up.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
So IF we do obtain the 3rd OA pick.... is it a given that we take Hanifin? Would anyone on here take Strome/Marner?

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
So IF we do obtain the 3rd OA pick.... is it a given that we take Hanifin? Would anyone on here take Strome/Marner?

I think Hanifan is 110% Jarmo's guy. in a regular situation i'd consider Marner but still would lean Hanifan but given our situation its even easier to say Hanifan. Im in the camp who isnt huge on Strome, I'd take Marner 10/10 times over Strome

jackets4life

Jan 16, 2013
Section 203
This trade would make all too much sense for both sides, in my estimation. We would get the D we need, in return AZ would get a very solid 8 OA, potentially a 2nd, and probably a roster player which would be key as they need to add considerable salary. Depends on how much Jarmo is willing to give, but we have both the picks and the glut of players needed to pull off such a deal.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
The Hockey Chat ‏@TheHockeyChat 49m49 minutes ago
Toronto has also spoken to CBJ about moving down in the draft #NHL

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
I appreciate that Jarmo is trying to replace the loss of Reilly by trading up, but I hope that he doesn't use all of his assets and leaves something to go after the #1 defenseman that this club needs. Will be interesting to see what shakes out, if anything, over the next 72 hours.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
I appreciate that Jarmo is trying to replace the loss of Reilly by trading up, but I hope that he doesn't use all of his assets and leaves something to go after the #1 defenseman that this club needs. Will be interesting to see what shakes out, if anything, over the next 72 hours.

There will still be plenty of assets available. Trading Rychel and a second won't decimate us by any means.

In fact, that would do nothing to alleviate our glut of forwards, so there will obviously be additional moves coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad