Jackets sign James Sheppard and Antti Pihlström to try-out contracts

ndd17

In Eaves we trust!
Jul 14, 2012
Russia
I would love him on Blues jersey as a 4th liner, but too bad Jarmo has all good relationships to Europe.
Relationships is a good thing, but i probably still a few years will remember about Mellart and Hjalmarsson.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
Relationships is a good thing, but i probably still a few years will remember about Mellart and Hjalmarsson.

Maybe you will come across some arguments regarding Europeans on 'try-out contracts' by that time also. It sure would be interesting to know why...

ndd17

In Eaves we trust!
Jul 14, 2012
Russia
Maybe you will come across some arguments regarding Europeans on 'try-out contracts' by that time also. It sure would be interesting to know why...
Once again, i'm in opposition to inviting players to training camp for quantity, i for quality.We need d-man and i understood the invite d-man. Instead of this, two forwards. We have 13 forwards+for insurance Karlsson, Chaput, Milano, Bjork, Rychel. 18 forwards. This is enough for the season, even in case of injuries. Whom can to overplay Sheppard and Pihlstrom in our roster? I think only Boll. I want to see more in preseason games Bjork, Milano, Rychel, etc. It's better for me, than look at useless attempts Sheppard and Pihlstrom make the team(in my opinion).
Again, i'm not against "try-out" or European players, i'm for inviting right players at the problem position, We have good forwards and no need still one.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Once again, i'm in opposition to inviting players to training camp for quantity, i for quality.We need d-man and i understood the invite d-man. Instead of this, two forwards. We have 13 forwards+for insurance Karlsson, Chaput, Milano, Bjork, Rychel. 18 forwards. This is enough for the season, even in case of injuries. Whom can to overplay Sheppard and Pihlstrom in our roster? I think only Boll. I want to see more in preseason games Bjork, Milano, Rychel, etc. It's better for me, than look at useless attempts Sheppard and Pihlstrom make the team(in my opinion).
Again, i'm not against "try-out" or European players, i'm for inviting right players at the problem position, We have good forwards and no need still one.
This sounds like a good reason to invite blueliners, but not necessarily reason to NOT invite forwards, as I don't see any downside (other than some implication that there "isn't room", which has been previously disproven).

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
Especially when these trialists are likely fourth line forwards, a role that not many rookie is gonna be auditioning for.

If you want defenders call Ilari Melart or trade one of the forwards...

Then back to the original question: why Melart and Hjalmarsson are such failures that 'never again'? They were as cheap as they get signings following a dream. Who then took the most financially reasonable option; leaving the AHL and returning to Europe.

Where did anyone exactly lose anything? Never got a dinner?

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009

That assumes there are defensemen who they are potentially interested in. What if there aren't any interesting defensemen at all?

ndd17

In Eaves we trust!
Jul 14, 2012
Russia
Тhen back to the original question: why Melart and Hjalmarsson are such failures that 'never again'?
It's not a failure. Failure here, this is when you expected something significant from player and these expectations are not justified. What could be expected from Mellart and Hjalmarsson? Players of depth for Springfield, no more. Hjalmarsson not impressed in preseason games for me at least. Mellart not impressed in Springfield games for me at least. I guess the same things from Sheppard and Pihlstrom. Players for quantity, i call them that way.

Where did anyone exactly lose anything? We with you exactly did not lose something. Bjorkstrand/Rychel/Milano/Anderson lose TOI in preseason by reason of presence on ice Sheppard and Pihlstrom, players which eventually not make a team(my opinion).

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
Bjorkstrand/Rychel/Milano/Anderson lose TOI in preseason by reason of presence on ice Sheppard and Pihlstrom, players which eventually not make a team(my opinion).

Anderson might be the only one of those who competes for a place in the fourth line. Which exactly isn't the grand prize of CBJ development path.

If the rookies then cannot compete and win a place over players who aren't even making the team in your opinion... With this all happening in the hugging contest that is NHL pre-season is it then left to be hoped of them later on debuting succesfully as ready NHL replacements?

Hjalmarsson and Pihlström are contract-wise in the same situation. Too good for the AHL while better money elsewhere awaits. Yet they initiate when contacted, even sign ridiculously low paying contract in contrast to the old world terms in exchange for what in the previous cases was extended trial/adaption period. Pihlström doesn't even have this, at least yet. Hjalmarsson never got a dinner.

So the other option is to forfeit these trial periods, pay more, offer one-way-deals, try to top other teams doing the same and if triumphant still land a player who is bit of unknown quality when it comes to the NHL.

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Pihlström is a weird player. He sometimes has these ludicrous bursts of speed where he makes defenders look stationary, but he can't score. If he had learned how to score consistently, he would have been a very good player.

77262979-jason-chimera-of-the-columbus-blue-jackets-gettyimages.jpg

What the hell am I supposed to do with this stick again?

thebus2288*

Antti might not be soft and hitting Helm is good and nice but can he take a shot to the dome like this?

Also while some (Anti-Boll Brigade) might look at this and laugh AT Dorsett or and say it does nothing for the team, I think it says a lot about where team "leadership" or team "toughness" was during this "stage" in the organization. Watching him TRY SO HARD to do something, "fighting off" both linesmen, trying to hold somebody accountable for what just happened while the 4 other guys just stand around is sad. If Dorsett gets ahold of Scuderi or Boll was out there and did the same you better believe Scuderi AT LEAST thinks twice if put in that same situation.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
With the unprecedented number of quality players still without contracts, I wonder if the FO is going to regret giving the two-year deal to Campbell.

gib

Feb 3, 2004
Antti might not be soft and hitting Helm is good and nice but can he take a shot to the dome like this?

Also while some (Anti-Boll Brigade) might look at this and laugh AT Dorsett or and say it does nothing for the team, I think it says a lot about where team "leadership" or team "toughness" was during this "stage" in the organization. Watching him TRY SO HARD to do something, "fighting off" both linesmen, trying to hold somebody accountable for what just happened while the 4 other guys just stand around is sad. If Dorsett gets ahold of Scuderi or Boll was out there and did the same you better believe Scuderi AT LEAST thinks twice if put in that same situation.

For sure Philström isn't a fighter. He is a energy player and damn good in forechecking (because of his speed). If you need a tough guy of course Boll is better option.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
I give Sheppard a punchers chance. He could possibly knockout Bourque for a spot. Is he a top nine? What do you do with Bourque is someone beats him out? Trade? Bury in the A?
I don't know much about Sheppard, but assuming he does beat out Borque, I would look for a team that has injuries and trade Bourque, even if you have to assume 25% or less of his salary in exchange for draft pick(s). It would only be for this year. Jarmo should be able to sign Sheppard for <75% of Bourque's 3.? million.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
How is payment made? Rubles? Dollars? Beer?

You likely do not need to pay for geezers who have made something starting around million dollars just playing ice hockey.

The question is would they need to bring their own antidepressants (apparently to be taken down with plenty of vodka) as you seem to be running low...

major major

Feb 18, 2013

Flexibility. The same reason Jarmo let Mackenzie walk. Only we at least knew Mackenzie was a very good 4th liner. Last year, Bruins fans were not convinced that Campbell was a good 4th liner anymore. There's a decent chance that Campbell's deal ends up like the other albatrosses Jarmo has been accumulating. But we're committed to him, which is really needless when there are so many other 1 year options out there.

Last edited:

ndd17

In Eaves we trust!
Jul 14, 2012
Russia
:laugh: I can't drink pure vodka ( not 40 nor 96%) anymore. It's good only for young guys. Have You another alternatives for veterans? :laugh::sarcasm:
Alternative only one, try to make the team, as it's trying to do now Sheppard and Pihlstrom.

MMANumminen

May 7, 2010
Political prisoner
If Pillu fits Finnish Olympic squad I find it strange if he couldn't play in Columbus.

Really fast, lot of experience, hard hitter, wooden hands. Perfect 4th liner, but no more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad