Jackets sign James Sheppard and Antti Pihlström to try-out contracts

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
One of these days, they're gonna find a Fin that storms his way onto the roster. I don't think this is that day. ;)

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
Should've just signed Sheppard instead of Campbell.

Better player for less.
Sheppard was likely asking for considerably more on July 1st, so the CBJ went with Campbell instead. Sheppard likely priced himself out of a job and that's why he's on a PTO now. Jarmo and JD aren't idiots and they aren't blind. If they thought Sheppard was the better player AND cheaper then he would've been signed on July 1st.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Sheppard was likely asking for considerably more on July 1st, so the CBJ went with Campbell instead. Sheppard likely priced himself out of a job and that's why he's on a PTO now. Jarmo and JD aren't idiots and they aren't blind. If they thought Sheppard was the better player AND cheaper then he would've been signed on July 1st.

Jarmo and JD do make mistakes, however. Do you need me to give you some examples? (cough Boll cough.) And when players are rapidly disappearing off the market on July 1st, it's easy to make a mistake. Sheppard has been better than Campbell of late, and as the younger player it looks like he will keep being the better player.

So what happens if Sheppard is better than Campbell at camp and we have to decide between these two which one will be on the roster?

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
Pihlström is bit like Calvert but with better skating. Part of the latest Finnish Olympic squad also. Far more experienced this around than during his first shift in the NHL.
If he can't be at least quality depth for fourth line's needs, no one can.

I think the try-out there is for landing a NHL role, not signing a two-way contract.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Jarmo and JD do make mistakes, however. Do you need me to give you some examples? (cough Boll cough.) And when players are rapidly disappearing off the market on July 1st, it's easy to make a mistake. Sheppard has been better than Campbell of late, and as the younger player it looks like he will keep being the better player.

So what happens if Sheppard is better than Campbell at camp and we have to decide between these two which one will be on the roster?

Meh its debatable on whether how much better Sheppard has been then Campbell. His 18 points with more ice time and much less Pk time isn't that impressive. Campbell is better suited for the role he was aquired for and although in the case of injuries Sheppard might be a slighty better option for spot 3rd line duty you'd have to assume thats where a guy like Karlsson gets his shot.
This team is always so young and although the leadership is perfectly fine it's always nice to add an older vet that has been to the top and as everyone knows will do whatever he needs to, to help his team

Esko6

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
Pihlström is a weird player. He sometimes has these ludicrous bursts of speed where he makes defenders look stationary, but he can't score. If he had learned how to score consistently, he would have been a very good player.

ndd17

In Eaves we trust!
Jul 14, 2012
Russia
This team is always so young and although the leadership is perfectly fine it's always nice to add an older vet that has been to the top and as everyone knows will do whatever he needs to, to help his team
It's all right, i agree with you, but we have 11 forwards on one-way contract+Wennberg+Jenner+W.Karlsson/Chaput/Bjork/Milano/Rychel/Anderson for insurance in case of injuries. We have fully completed the offensive line and we have not room for these two guys Sheppard and Pihlstrom. Invite players in training camp only for quantity it does not make sense IMO.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
Invite players in training camp only for quantity it does not make sense IMO.

The team is planning for a season of about 110 games. It doesn't very easily or often come to the 'too many men' part during a season.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Nice job by 'Keklu', too bad St. Louis Blues GM is sleeping these opportunities or well he (Armstrong) might don't know or don't have relationships in Europe what Jarmo has.

Great debt player (4th liner) and I'm shock if he cannot break in to team. NA fans you guys going to love him. Speedy, aggressive forechecker and great extra booster/energy filler in team.

ndd17

In Eaves we trust!
Jul 14, 2012
Russia
Great debt player (4th liner) and I'm shock if he cannot break in to team. NA fans you guys going to love him. Speedy, aggressive forechecker and great extra booster/energy filler in team.
Absolutely the same things i have read not long ago from Swedish and Finnish fans after signing Mellart and Hjalmarsson. Both haven't played for Jackets a single game.
A few months ago i read the same things from Swiss fans about Kukan which apparently did not make TOP-2 Lake Erie(i think Falk-Heatherington/Madaisky will be top-2).
Now i read the same things about Pihlstrom. I don't even now... No, of course KHL level is higher than SHL, Liiga or NLA, but if Pihlstrom will make the team, i would call it a miracle.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
Absolutely the same things i have read not long ago from Swedish and Finnish fans after signing Mellart and Hjalmarsson. Both haven't played for Jackets a single game.

Could you perhaps quote those who said Melart is destined to make it? Hjalmarsson on the other hand is a very good KHL player who would have been called up last season pretty soon once the injuries took over had he chosen to stay.

It's always a financial decision as well when you consider guys like Pihlström and Hjalmarsson: players trying to break into NHL bottom-6 role. Players who can land better deals in Europe.

Just because it hasn't exactly worked out the perfect way before doesn't mean that it wouldn't some day. It ain't like you are gonna lose out in these deals somehow? Brick by brick, turning every stone.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Still puzzles me why Hjalmarsson didn't at least give it a shot. He would have likely been called up after a week or two anyway with all the injuries.

As for these guys, I doubt either make it on the team and are just training camp bodies.

gib

Feb 3, 2004
As for these guys, I doubt either make it on the team and are just training camp bodies.

Might be so because of the contract situation, but Philström will give the "regulars" a run for their money in the training camp. Watch and see...

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
I don't agree with the thoughts that Sheppard is an upgrade on Campbell. Campbell brings experience and leadership to the room ... if anything, Sheppard would be the 13th forward on this team and would only play if there are injuries, IMO.

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
I don't agree with the thoughts that Sheppard is an upgrade on Campbell. Campbell brings experience and leadership to the room ... if anything, Sheppard would be the 13th forward on this team and would only play if there are injuries, IMO.

I'm a fan of Sheppards game but I strongly agree. Campbell was brought in for a specific purpose and has a (780 game) track record to back it up. Campbell is solidly anchoring down our 4th line, Sheppard is going to have to fight for any icetime at all. Sheppard I think of more along the lines of what Skille was brought in to be - 13th, 14th,15th forward that once had upside.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Pihlström is a weird player. He sometimes has these ludicrous bursts of speed where he makes defenders look stationary, but he can't score. If he had learned how to score consistently, he would have been a very good player.
Pretty much this. Had a ton of hope for the guy when he was a Preds prospect, but he never did seem to figure that out. I'm hoping he can do better now, but I'm not holding my breath.

thebus2288*

I like the Sheppard/Campbell comparison about as good as the Williams/Skille comparison I heard recently. I just don't like the stylistic comparison when it comes to Williams/Skille and the differing roles Sheppard and Campbell seem to be able to fill at the moment.

I had to look up if Sheppard was even a center and though I'm not against adding him all together I don't see how he could "fill" Campbell's role defensively. Like the people who are so against Boll just simply being on the roster, I think you need to realize that while its nice to have a 4th line that's a "threat" every time they hit the ice, the CBJ at this point, don't "need" that at all as a team. We have depth up front where we are able to throw 3 lines that are quite a threat offensively. Adding to that, IMO there is no way Calvert should not/will not see a regular "top 9" shift in exchange for giving a guy like Bourque or Clarkson more time. To me that would make no sense in any way. With that said, with a 4th line consisting of older/slower guys(Bourque, Clarkson, Cambpell, Boll, even "slow" younger call-ups like Chaput/Anderson) Pihlstrom could be a very interesting and/or good fit with a mix of bigger/stronger guys for around 10 mins a game. I like the "poor mans" Hagelin comparison.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I like the Sheppard/Campbell comparison about as good as the Williams/Skille comparison I heard recently. I just don't like the stylistic comparison when it comes to Williams/Skille and the differing roles Sheppard and Campbell seem to be able to fill at the moment.

I had to look up if Sheppard was even a center and though I'm not against adding him all together I don't see how he could "fill" Campbell's role defensively. Like the people who are so against Boll just simply being on the roster, I think you need to realize that while its nice to have a 4th line that's a "threat" every time they hit the ice, the CBJ at this point, don't "need" that at all as a team. We have depth up front where we are able to throw 3 lines that are quite a threat offensively. Adding to that, IMO there is no way Calvert should not/will not see a regular "top 9" shift in exchange for giving a guy like Bourque or Clarkson more time. To me that would make no sense in any way. With that said, with a 4th line consisting of older/slower guys(Bourque, Clarkson, Cambpell, Boll, even "slow" younger call-ups like Chaput/Anderson) Pihlstrom could be a very interesting and/or good fit with a mix of bigger/stronger guys for around 10 mins a game. I like the "poor mans" Hagelin comparison.
"Poor man's Hagelin"? I'd have gone with Chimera, myself. Except I don't think he's offsides quite as often (not saying much, I know).

thebus2288*

While Chimera can/could "move" as fast as the other 2, he has size and because of that plays with an edge that Hagelin or Pihlstrom could only dream of. To think of it he's got a shot both guys could only dream about at this point also. I just see Pihlstrom and Hagelin as "smaller" and "softer" guys and while quick like him quite a bit more skilled and creative then a Chimera or even Helm like guy.

gib

Feb 3, 2004
While Chimera can/could "move" as fast as the other 2, he has size and because of that plays with an edge that Hagelin or Pihlstrom could only dream of. To think of it he's got a shot both guys could only dream about at this point also. I just see Pihlstrom and Hagelin as "smaller" and "softer" guys and while quick like him quite a bit more skilled and creative then a Chimera or even Helm like guy.

Philström is everything else but soft.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeDd6KQ8DE8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHAr-KST1ps

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Pretty much this. Had a ton of hope for the guy when he was a Preds prospect, but he never did seem to figure that out. I'm hoping he can do better now, but I'm not holding my breath.

He isn't scorer, 'Keklu' knows it when he invated him in camp. Bullet speed legs, energy filler, great forechecker and very good debt player.

I would love him on Blues jersey as a 4th liner, but too bad Jarmo has all good relationships to Europe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad