Post-Game Talk: Jackets @ Sens October 18 | Bob Cole: The Lucky Buddha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
My first game with the new lightning too. It's crazy the difference it makes.

Yeah came here to say this. I had heard about the new lighting system and didn't think it would be anything special, but holy, when they turn the lights on after an intermission it's crazy how bright it is.

It was very noticeable and definitely looked good.

bigsby

Jul 11, 2014
Ottawa
They have 10 "targeted" games this year. Some are present year-round, but there are 10 specified hooliganish games.

They'll be present at the Leafs game this Wednesday, hopefully it turns the tides a little bit in terms of Leaf/Sen Chants going down.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
It's weird but I thought this was the game we gave up the most scoring chances, yet people were whining less about the defense...

Anyway, it's early but I think the front-runners for the scapegoats this year are Cowen, Gryba and Michalek. Yup. Greening will join that group if he plays.

Maybe Zibanejad but still young and still has many "die-hard fans".

I'm surprised Neil and Phillips have been giving a bit of a rest so far.

More stats of interest:

-Karlsson is leading the team in blocked shots with 8.
-Karlsson is also leading the team in missed shots with 9.
-Stone has 8 takeaways (leading the team) and 0 giveaways.

Leading the league as well.

Yeah, that really is the worst part about where he's playing - how bad it makes his deal look.

Still not sure what Murray was thinking on that one.

Michalek is one of the few guys who has NHL experience, still young (ok not on HF) and a good policy insurance for proven depth scoring (guy has scored 25 goals per 82 games played for the Sens). The line-up is already as green as can-be, don't ya think? Also had to each the cap floor lol

Personally, I'm sad they re-signed him because I'm tired to see people complain about him non-stop. He is just the Sens active leading goal scorer in the last 5 years. But who cares? I mean the guy is not perfect. If God exists and judge people like HF judges hockey players, everybody is going to hell.

He has a few things going for him.

-Shootout winner
-Leading the team in face-off wins (with Legwand)
-3rd on the team in hits

but... has no point in 5 games! :scared:

Seriously, it's not the end of the world if Mika doesn't breakout this year (still very young, most NHL players start at his age). Actually, since he's RFA it might be a good thing that he doesn't break out now, lol

MacArthur-Turris-Ryan (~ 18 mins at ES)
Hoffman-Legwand-Stone (~ 15 mins at ES)
Michalek-Zibanejad-Chiasson (~ 15 mins at ES)
Condra/Lazar-Smith-Neil (~ 12 mins at ES)

Those lines would be the best IMO for chemistry

* Stone and Ryan can switch but IMO we have to get MacTurryan going as much as we can. That line was so dominating last year when healthy...
** I know he is NHL ready but whatever happens with Lazar is fine with me. However it's not likely that they send him down.
*** I see people separating Hoffman and Legwand but they had instant chemistry to me...

Dig the top 9, bottom line seems bad to me for a couple of reasons.

wow is it serious now? Smith - Lazar - Neil as a 4th line would be bad? Both Smith and Lazar are much better than usual 4th liners. Neil is very fine in that role.

Yeah, this is the approach I'm taking as well. I don't know how we stack up against the elite teams because we haven't faced them, but I am guessing not so hot. However, in order to make the playoffs you have to beat up on weak and average teams. If you can do that on a regular basis, you are in. To this point in the season we are doing a great job of picking up points when we should be picking up points. This is a major difference between this squad and last year, when we kept ****ing up and dropping points we needed to get against teams we should beat.

The best part is the last couple of games have been fun to watch.

Tampa is nearing Elite IMO. Just too much talent...

Also, looked how we played last year against Colorado, St-Louis, Montreal (ok not elite but made the ECF), etc last year... Even against Chicago, the Sharks. We lost many games because we lost focus, goalies didn't make the save when needed or had defensive breakdowns... Team is very inexperienced.

Also, Nashville and Columbus are pretty good teams IMO, really underrated because small markets, just like the Sens.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Michalek is one of the few guys who has NHL experience, still young (ok not on HF) and a good policy insurance for proven depth scoring (guy has scored 25 goals per 82 games played for the Sens). The line-up is already as green as can-be, don't ya think? Also had to each the cap floor lol

I like Michalek but for that salary I think the term is a tad long.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I remember when I first saw Hoffman a few years ago in a pre-season game on local TV. I kept wondering: who's this guy? It took me a while to figure out if he was a forward or a defenseman: present all over the ice, plays the point on the PP, such a smooth skater, and so confident with the puck. Well, finally today I saw that same guy again. I was starting to doubt he'd ever amount to anything.

Saint John sniper Mike Hoffman named MVP of the QMJHL after 46-goal season

Wednesday, 03.31.2010 / 7:35 PM

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=523500

Hoffman has been on the map for almost 5 years now!

I still think the presence of BoroCop makes Neil less important to this group, and I'd rather have Condra in the line up than him. But once again here was Neil on the ice in the last minutes of the game, so obviously the coach thinks he's a defensive wizard and not at all a penalty risk. Coach, since you rolled out 4 lines all game, can't you shorten the bench a little at the end and go with your most solid guys to preserve the win?

Maybe the coaching staff look at things like this?

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...400&teamid=21&type=goals&sort=A60&sortdir=ASC

Something people have to understand is that coaches don't care about how cute it looks, they care about efficiency. That's why they will play guys like Neil and Cowen.

You need to be in the offensive zone to create a scoring chance, right?

This team is very effective at maintaining possession when in the offensive zone and has compiled quite a bit of scoring chances in bunches when they are in the offensive end. We know our forwards are capable of doing so.

The issue? There's one defensemen who can consistently get the puck out of the defensive zone either through a controlled carry or a pass to forwards. Look at the numbers. Cowen, Gryba, Phillips, Boro and Wier have all been subpar at their best so far this season at successfully exiting the defensive zone.

It's a problem and it needs to be worked on. Anyone saying differently is misguided.

I don't entirely disagree and yes you always have to work on things to try and get better and better but 1) sens less experienced team in league 2) not a contender yet 3) do you really think all teams have 6 D-men who break out like Karlsson? Karlsson, Ceci, Methot, Wiercioch are good at that. Yes, we miss Methot, everyone would fit in more smoothly. Cowen can be good at that too, just need confidence and learn to keep it simple. It's like he was in a hurry to impress, forcing the play.

I like Michalek but for that salary I think the term is a tad long.

Yup, 2 or 3 years would have been ideal but since he took a discount (as reported), we had to give him some incentive to make him stay... I think he will be eventually traded but Mac has t find a way to make everybody produce. I was a bit indifferent as him re-signing but I do agree with the insurance policies need.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Michalek was skating really well and contributing for the last 25-30 games or so last year. And he was healthy last year for the first time in a while.

I have a feeling he'll turn things around somewhere near the 20-game mark. Just needs to get those old legs going.

Indrew

Feb 6, 2007
Michalek has the bestest CORSI ON the squad. The judges are giving him a 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad