Jackets, Savard close to new deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreeBoomer61

Feb 8, 2011
Probably going to be a similar deal to Prout's. Maybe a little more money, but similar term.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I assume you mean 3 mill total or 1.5/yr.

Curious to see how the Erixon negotiations go. Similar to Prout or closer to Savard? I don't get the feeling he'll be happy with a mill. Not sure why, just don't.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com

Curious to see how the Erixon negotiations go. Similar to Prout or closer to Savard? I don't get the feeling he'll be happy with a mill. Not sure why, just don't.
If they're giving Erixon ~1.5m he better be a full time NHLer on the 3rd pairing. Ain't no reason to pay that much for a scratch.

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
Trade him, shown nothing more than a 3rd pairing Dman.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio

Erixon will be happy when he signs a one way deal. He isn't going to get paid much more than most coming off their entry level deal not having made the NHL yet. He'll sign a 1 year $850K deal and have a chance to make the CBJ out of camp. I suspect he'll make it and be a regular in the lineup by December.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio

He played very well in the playoffs on the top pair with Johnson for a few games. May not be long term but he's shown more than a 3rd pair d-man this year. He needs consistency. I only trade him as part of a package to add an upgrade to this team.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008

Even if this were completely true, a smart low-risk 3rd pairing defenseman who can play on the first PP unit is a damned good commodity to have.

CBJRzeznik

Mar 8, 2014
He played very well in the playoffs on the top pair with Johnson for a few games. May not be long term but he's shown more than a 3rd pair d-man this year. He needs consistency. I only trade him as part of a package to add an upgrade to this team.

Agreed....still considerable upside to Savard. He was a pleasant surprise last year. I feel the same with Erixon...plenty of upside.

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
He was pretty bad last year and even worse in the playoffs but to his credit he was playing much harder competition in the postseason. Maybe being with a new, consistent partner will help him grow.

Certainly wouldn't pay him much more than Prout.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
He was pretty bad last year and even worse in the playoffs but to his credit he was playing much harder competition in the postseason. Maybe being with a new, consistent partner will help him grow.

What are you even talking about? He wasn't bad at all in the regular season and he was worse in the playoffs? The guy had 4 points in 6 games while being +2 and averaging over 23 minutes a game.

thebus2288*

He was arguably our most steady/consistent d man last year. I was very impressed with his defensive play, especially around our net. But he's still(or should be used as) mainly an offensive minded guy.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
What are you even talking about? He wasn't bad at all in the regular season and he was worse in the playoffs? The guy had 4 points in 6 games while being +2 and averaging over 23 minutes a game.

He did play a lot of minutes in the playoffs which further proves he was in over his head. He was horribly out-possessed.

4 points is nice, but half were on the powerplay so it's not worth putting a ton of stock into. I'm not saying he won't get better but he wasn't "good".

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
He did play a lot of minutes in the playoffs which further proves he was in over his head. He was horribly out-possessed.

4 points is nice, but half were on the powerplay so it's not worth putting a ton of stock into. I'm not saying he won't get better but he wasn't "good".

I entirely disagree with you. Savard's improvement from the 2012-2013 season and this past season was something special. He became one of the most consistent d-man on the team. His contract extension is well, well deserved. :handclap:

thebus2288*

That 1st part makes no sense to me at all. I'm guessing its advanced corsi **** but what does "out-possessed" even mean. Does it mean that Pitt had the puck way more than us when Savard was on the ice? If so, how does that have anything to do with his play? He was defending? He's a DEFENSEMAN.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.

Did you even watch the games? Savard was easily one of the more consistent defenders for the team all season long. Even as a #6 guy, he was very serviceable and is a big part of the reason we weren't forced to pay Nikita Nikitin more money than Jack Johnson.

And you're mentioning that half of his points were on the powerplay - who cares? They're still points, whether they come on the powerplay or at even strength. To even be on the powerplay in the playoffs says enough about his development. To be producing on the powerplay, in the playoffs, speaks volumes about him. Last time I checked, a goal on the powerplay is worth just as many on the scoreboard as an even strength goal.

Your argument holds no backing.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio

His name isn't spelled Letang. I think you have him confused. He was pretty decent regular season and very good in the playoffs in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad