Confirmed with Link: Jackets get Paul Thompson from Penguins for Spencer Machacek

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
Minor league shakeup trade with no implications for the big club.

Springfield just had a 5 game losing streak so it's probably designed to shake them up.

Last edited:

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Minor league shakeup trade with no implications for the big club.

Springfield just broke had a game losing streak so it's probably designed to shake them up.

Certainly not to give them a scoring shake up. Machacek had 19 pts. This Thompson guy has 6.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
From what I've read... Thompson had tremendous success at the NCAA level (led the nation in PP scoring) but has slowly became accustomed to the professional level. Certainly not the trade I was hoping to see when I saw CBJ traded with the Pens.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
From what I've read... Thompson had tremendous success at the NCAA level (led the nation in PP scoring) but has slowly became accustomed to the professional level. Certainly not the trade I was hoping to see when I saw CBJ traded with the Pens.

Can I ask what the trade you were hoping to see was?

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Thompson is sort of a poor man's Matt Moulson.

He has a quick release and good hands in tight, but he doesn't bring a whole lot outside of that.

He's a poor skater and isn't very physical, despite having decent size.

The writing was on the wall with him seeing reduced icetime, he fell out of favor with WBS' coaching staff for whatever reason.

scoob4093

Sponsor
Jul 8, 2003
Springfield Ma.
Visit site
Thompson is sort of a poor man's Matt Moulson.

He has a quick release and good hands in tight, but he doesn't bring a whole lot outside of that.

He's a poor skater and isn't very physical, despite having decent size.

The writing was on the wall with him seeing reduced icetime, he fell out of favor with WBS' coaching staff for whatever reason.

I'll take your headache if you'll take mine.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Machacek sounds like a real whiner. Pulled this stunt in Winnipeg too. No wonder his career is going nowhere.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I haven't bothered to look. Does either side get out of a contract sooner with this?

Here is where the CBJ is a winner in the deal. Thompson is a UFA at the end of the year and makes about 100k less than Machacek who is RFA.

Both teams get someone they will probably let walk at the end of the year and the CBJ save the pro-rated amount of the salary difference on the contract for the rest of the year.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Machacek was unhappy in the Winnipeg organization after being sent back to the AHL and was rather inconsistent and just vanished for long stretches. He wasn't going to be called up any time soon and there really wasn't any room for him to make the Jackets. If he wanted out of Winnipeg, I could see that same thing happening in Columbus. The writing was already on the wall that he wasn't going to be resigned and didn't have a future in the organization.

Thompson has some potential to turn things around.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
I'll take your headache if you'll take mine.

For what it's worth, I don't see Thompson being a headache for you guys.

I've never really heard anything in regards to him being anything less than a solid citizen in the locker room. He just doesn't have that extra gear that seperates the Jason Krogs and Chris Minards of the world from NHL players.

His scoring should pick back up in Springfield, I'd think.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad