GDT: Jackets at Flyers

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
Yeah I think he moves really well, especially in space. How many 6'3, 210lb + defenseman are moving like him?
Maybe we're watching different players but he's certainly not "great".

This is saying something , in a 5-3 loss .. Who had Christiansen at a +3
He's been playing well for some games now. Starting to get some confidence.

He's going to surprise some people ala Marcus Bjork

Reactions: Fro

ColumbusTrill

Mar 15, 2021
Maybe we're watching different players but he's certainly not "great".

I think he's a considerably better skater than all of our bigger D sans Werenski. Of the other things I listed what do you disagree with? My biggest qualms with him are his puck skills (which may never be good) and defensive awareness (which might get a lot better with an actual quality scheme)

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
If KJ can stick at center .. Horvat is a massive waste at 9 mill per season .. no thanks .. Give me Fantelli, Johnson Sillinger down the middle . Other than that , totally agree .. lots of talent … just don’t see how you let Gavrikov walk
Winner Winner Chicken Dinner. Horvat would be a ridiculous acquisition. His contract would be an anchor in year 1 of his deal.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
If KJ can stick at center .. Horvat is a massive waste at 9 mill per season .. no thanks .. Give me Fantelli, Johnson Sillinger down the middle . Other than that , totally agree .. lots of talent

The good news is that the draft lottery is long before free agency, so we'll have a good idea of who we are adding.

I'm a lot more confident in KJ as a #1C than I'd be in Horvat. And we'll find out who the other center is, if it is through the draft or if we want to sign somebody. One guy who I won't mind throwing money at is Dylan Larkin.

… just don’t see how you let Gavrikov walk

Indeed, what good is all that cap space if we're losing the thing we need badly - a shutdown LD. It's not like there is going to be a better one in UFA.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Why you should stay positive:

- We will shed a ton of salary cap with Voracek, Nyquist, possibly Gavrikov out. We will be big players for a center like Horvat in the off season. He WILL want to center Johnny Hockey.

- We have some incredible young players either already showing potential in the big league like Chinakhov and KJ and the ones playing well in minor/junior leagues like Jiricek and Dumais

- Marchenko looks like he belongs

- Johnny Hockey is a Jacket

- We might just have a solid #1 goalie going forward

- There’s a pretty good chance an elite young player will be a Jacket next year
We don't need Horvat similar like Chichrun. We just need to work with talents who are no longer just on paper anyway.

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
I think he's a considerably better skater than all of our bigger D sans Werenski. Of the other things I listed what do you disagree with? My biggest qualms with him are his puck skills (which may never be good) and defensive awareness (which might get a lot better with an actual quality scheme)
I honestly see Peeke as someone who is attempting to play a shutdown D but not very good at it. He can't get out of his own zone and he's really not that great at the shutdown thing. He's physical which is nice but when you think there's so many other players out there who can play physical but also break out of their own zone, it doesn't make sense to bet on him long term. He's so limited breaking out of his own zone that he's a net negative despite his willingness to get in people's faces. Especially for this team's "system".

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Well I think, for the first time as a Year One season ticket holder, I am fuly supportive of the TANK. WE badly need to lose as much as possible this year. And since Jarmo is leaving Lars as the HC, it seems Jarmo is thinking along the same lines.

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
Well I think, for the first time as a Year One season ticket holder, I am fuly supportive of the TANK. WE badly need to lose as much as possible this year. And since Jarmo is leaving Lars as the HC, it seems Jarmo is thinking along the same lines.
Lars should never had been hired. His PP was bad when he was running it and it’s the same as a HC. You would think with Gudreau it would have to get somewhat better but no.

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
Lars should never had been hired. His PP was bad when he was running it and it’s the same as a HC. You would think with Gudreau it would have to get somewhat better but no.
Guadreau, Laine, Jenner, Johnson at his finger tips and still can't produce a decent PP. Laughable really

Reactions: Youngguns80

JacketFanInFL

Brick by Brick
Mar 27, 2006
Central FL
Like I have said before. He has all the minuses of Torts (Stubborness on lines, lineup questions, benching for silly reasons) without any of the positives (Structure, Discipline, Grit, Defense, puck control, dump and chase, etc).

Reactions: Youngguns80

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

Guadreau, Laine, Jenner, Johnson at his finger tips and still can't produce a decent PP. Laughable really
I haven't been able to watch more than a few games this year but it seems to me one of the pp problems is the guys don't move the puck quickly enough. Just like they haven't for most of their history. I don't know why Lars is to blame for that. They think too much instead of doing.

Reactions: DEF

JacketFanInFL

Brick by Brick
Mar 27, 2006
Central FL
I haven't been able to watch more than a few games this year but it seems to me one of the pp problems is the guys don't move the puck quickly enough. Just like they haven't for most of their history. I don't know why Lars is to blame for that. They think too much instead of doing.
We have been trying to setup the same one-time shot from the left boards for 4-5 years now. We don't generate traffic, we don't score a lot of dirty goals, and we fold when teams pressure us. The only thing they've worked on is the entry into the zone, which is better I'll say. The problem is that once they're in the zone, nobody knows what to do - so they pass it around the outside until they turn it over.

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
Let me put it this way if you were in charge of a business and the associates weren’t performing and producing sub-standard results wouldn’t you be replaced - yes. Why because you are ultimately accountable for the product. If you are going to say the players - yes they have the standard but they also follow a plan set by the HC. His job is the structure, discipline and finding a way to have the players understand the plan or bench them.

Even before the injuries this Team was substandard. Not that I thought we were going to make the playoffs but c’mon.

Last just a specific instance - the Buffalo game he saw 3 quick goals like all of us and Kuraly playing with lack of discipline. When he switched goalies he should have called a timeout talked to the team and sat Kuraly for a few shifts and talked to him. No he looked like a deer in the headlights. That is what I talking about in-game decisions and the flow of the game. He seems very lost.

BTW - he knows this PP item has followed him since being an Assistant Coach. So the PP looks the same as when Torts was here. Change your method or get replaced.

Reactions: Columbus Jack

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
Lars is to blame for not putting together a viable product. That's his Power Play, he's the head coach. If you have guys who won't move the puck, you tell then to move it quicker, if they won't listen, they shouldn't be on the Power Play.

What you allow is a reflection on you.

Reactions: JacketFanInFL

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Lars is to blame for not putting together a viable product. That's his Power Play, he's the head coach. If you have guys who won't move the puck, you tell then to move it quicker, if they won't listen, they shouldn't be on the Power Play.

What you allow is a reflection on you.
Life is simple.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
He's young, great skater, fearless, big, and has never had quality coaching in his nhl career. I want to see what he can do with a fresh voice guiding him
While I have great doubts about Peeke, I would have liked to have seen him get more time with Brad Shaw to see his impact on him Rather than him being thrown out there full time with an unproven D coach

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad