Post-Game Talk: Jackets 2, Pens 1 - They Are Who We Thought They Were

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saints11

Jan 24, 2012
Pittsburgh
There are credible line options, that likely will never be implemented by our junior coach.

I believe that Bonino needs to move to the LW and Fehr to take over as the 3rd line center.

I think Sid needs to play with like minded wingers, so I would keep Bennett or Sprong with him on the RW. The LW would be Perron, because I think Bonino might be better with Malkin and Kessel.

With that in mind, I'd keep Hornqvist on the 3rd line with Plotnikov and Fehr. Make them a physical, tough line to play against.

The 4th line needs to be Kunitz or Dupuis, Cullen, and Whoever isn't on Sid's RW.

However, a deal needs to be struck because we all know 14 or 9 cannot be HS.

Plus, Junior Joe needs to drop his fixation with skating pairs, play lines like everyone else.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
The LW would be Perron, because I think Bonino might be better with Malkin and Kessel.

I'd rather see Bonino with Malkin than Crosby simply because of faceoffs. Bonino is the best guy on the team at the dot, and Malkin is one of the worst in the league. As of right now, Bonino is winning 54.9% of his draws; Crosby is winning 53.3%; Cullen is winning 52.8%; and Malkin is winning 43.8%.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Sprong played 5:39 tonight. Why did we even keep him on the roster?

High Flying Birds

Aug 29, 2009
Victoria, B.C

This team can't develop young players. Best just to roll with Plot and send Sprong back to juniors. He's not learning anything in 5 minutes of ice time. All that he's finding out is that his coach doesn't think much of him and players like Kunitz and Dupuis are exempt from any sort of ****-up they might make.

The fan in me hates to see my team lose but honestly, the only way we're gonna see any real changes if is this team goes into a complete free-fall. There's a few problems that are easily correctable. But how long will it take with this organization? Sid and Geno aren't in their early 20's anymore. A real coach is needed first and foremost. Then go from there.

Saints11

Jan 24, 2012
Pittsburgh

Another bad part of this is the fact that Junior Joe denied ice time to both Cullen and Fehr because of his panicking and not rolling 4 lines like he talked about early in the year. So then, he choose to pull Bennett of Sid's line and plop in Fehr. This is because all he cares about are his idiot pairs of Sid and Duper, Geno and Kessel, and Bonino and Kunitz. All other wings he feels are interchangeable. Great concept of chemistry.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
so we can get plotnikov to go back to russia

I don't think he'll leave. He bought out his own contract, he probably needs the salary.

Let this be a lesson to any other KHL/undrafted free agents. Don't pick Pittsburgh.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

Unacceptable in every way. In the first, Sprong had a terrific shift and had a great scoring chance. Absolutely unacceptable.

Garbage game by garbage team. /analysis

I'm going to try and start an HFPenguins movement.

We get it... the Bylsma/Shero era left us vastly disappointed. We are all frustrated and our organization have given us every right to be frustrated. We know ALL of the problems. Focusing on marketing as opposed to winning, constant lies, having dumb coaches, not holding anyone accountable. We get it. Those are all big problems and haven't changed.

But instead of everyone coming out after a loss and throwing these posts out there, can we try to focus on some of the game discussion? Not every win is a life-changing win and not every loss is a season ending loss. The doom and gloom around here, while probably rightfully so, is nearing insufferable levels.

After every time Sid doesn't perform - the same users come in to tell us he's past his prime. Every time Geno doesn't score - those posters come in. If Letang does Letang things... they all sign on. :laugh: Let's try to just take each game as it comes so we can get back to a normal board around here. The last 6 years have realllllllly made us all so negative and we don't even discuss the game. We just jump right into the same old arguments.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
The ****ing Dupers thing is driving me nuts. They are trying to hard to market him as opposed to getting the best players on the ice. #9 is being looked at as some savior. It's nonstop with this organization and Root sports. I don't care if he's a nice guy. He's not a #1 line player.

I missed this game, but it sounds like the only notable change in lines was Fehr in for Bennett on the 1st.

It boggles my mind that a professional coach can be stupid enough to think he always needs at least one of Kunitz or Dupuis to be a fixture on Sid's line. We have Hornqvist playing on the 3rd line while two 36 year old clowns with a combined 4 points in 24 games take turns stinking up Sid's LW. That's bat-**** crazy.

The idiotic decisions are piling up, and I'm less interested in this team now than I've been in a decade.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
It sucks because Dupuis is a fine player to have around if he's being used properly, shoehorning him into the top six almost makes me dislike the guy.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
It sucks because Dupuis is a fine player to have around if he's being used properly, shoehorning him into the top six almost makes me dislike the guy.

Yeah he could have a solid purpose in the bottom six. It makes me hate dupers because the whole ****ing pre game was about him and how good he is in the lockeroom. It was also said that he makes Sid a better player......:laugh:

And to top it off, they interview beau and ask him about how awesome duper is. Good lord!!!

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

That's always why people have directed hate at the guy, even though it's not his fault. But now he's 36, less productive than ever, we have our deepest forward corps since we drafted Sid, and he's still there.

I think a lot of people's frustration is turning to apathy. They have better things to do than watch a team shoot itself in the foot game after game, season after season.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
That's always why people have directed hate at the guy, even though it's not his fault. But now he's 36, less productive than ever, we have our deepest forward corps since we drafted Sid, and he's still there.

I think a lot of people's frustration is turning to apathy. They have better things to do than watch a team shoot itself in the foot game after game, season after season.
Yup. I haven't watched a full game in a while and I don't see that trend changing. I'd add the word fatigue to the mix, from seeing the same mistakes and stupidity over and over.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
It's almost like they're doing it to rub our noses in it. It defies any sort of logic to always have an un-drafted, mid 30's plugger playing on a line with one of the best players in the world.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Apathy is a good word to describe our board right now. I think the obstruction in the game affects my enjoyment, too. I find myself drifting off so much during play. It feels like a late night drive where you drove from point a to point b, but remember none of it. The second period happened, but I can't recall one play. The ebb and flow is so bad in hockey right now that you can almost zone out for an entire game and miss nothing.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Apathy is a good word to describe our board right now. I think the obstruction in the game affects my enjoyment, too. I find myself drifting off so much during play. It feels like a late night drive where you drove from point a to point b, but remember none of it. The second period happened, but I can't recall one play. The ebb and flow is so bad in hockey right now that you can almost zone out for an entire game and miss nothing.

The game is so over-coached right now and I honestly don't see a light at the end of the tunnel.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

I've felt that way for a couple of seasons now, ever since the referees decided they're going to let clutching and grabbing go once again. Just makes for a lot of boring hockey.

It doesn't help that, on top of that, we have to deal with a coach and an organization that magnifies the frustration with some mind-numbingly dumb lineup decisions. Tonight's lack of ice time for a guy like Sprong, coupled with the fact the coach believes one of Dupuis or Kunitz HAS to play with Sid, is a perfect example of this.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
It doesn't help re: obstruction that this team is built based on how they want the league to be vs. how it actually is.

Tumty

Aug 18, 2012
Finland
Kessel should be tried with Sid again. Not dominating with Geno either. I mean why not? We are not scoring, we have to find lines which will work.

Malkin112*

Malkin and Crosby had over 7min power play time today and they had 1 shot combined. Absolutely pitiful. People can cry and moan about Johnston systems but harsh reality is that they aren't even close to as good as they used to be

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
The ****ing Dupers thing is driving me nuts. They are trying to hard to market him as opposed to getting the best players on the ice. #9 is being looked at as some savior. It's nonstop with this organization and Root sports. I don't care if he's a nice guy. He's not a #1 line player.

So true, and it just speaks to the whole thing with the organization.

If the propagandists from Radio Root are talking about these guys constantly, its being reinforced from somewhere by the same mentality that says Spumoni on every PK, Kunitz on the first line any chance we can get him, reacquire LJ, etc. Either MJ has swallowed their koolaid or he doesnt have much of a say in who goes out there.

If the narrative is all about making these guys the heroes, how can there be any hope for getting rid of them?

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
So true, and it just speaks to the whole thing with the organization.

If the propagandists from Radio Root are talking about these guys constantly, its being reinforced from somewhere by the same mentality that says Spumoni on every PK, Kunitz on the first line any chance we can get him, reacquire LJ, etc. Either MJ has swallowed their koolaid or he doesnt have much of a say in who goes out there.

If the narrative is all about making these guys the heroes, how can there be any hope for getting rid of them?

I agree 110%.

This is a team that for whatever reason, refuses to cut their losses and admit their mistakes. GM JR took the heat for Lovejoy/Despres, even though it wasn't really his decision. The fact that Adams was played at all last year under a new coaching staff speaks volumes as to how ****ed up this organization really is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad