Jackals To Become "Community Owned"

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
I was one of the fans making a 35 minute drive from PA to see the Jackals. After 8 seasons as a season ticket holder I have given it up this year for the reason in your response that I bolded. The ECHL is simply boring right now. There is no physical play at all, too much roster turnover (the Jackals average going through 50-60 players a year which equates to 3 full rosters), and no sense of the fact that on ice entertainment is important. They have taken the developmental approach too far and the ignored the fact that fans are there to see the players try to win and not just develop their skills. I could care less about the affiliation and which team is our parent club. I'm sitting on the sidelines for now. If they can ice a team that hits, hustles, chirps, drops the gloves when needed and has players that seem to actually want to be there I will return.

That sounds to me like a heartfelt statement. The ECHL, the Jackals and the Sabres as NHL affiliate need to do something to engage the fans. There must be a way to do both - provide and entertaining and competitive team on the ice and develop players.

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
That sounds to me like a heartfelt statement. The ECHL, the Jackals and the Sabres as NHL affiliate need to do something to engage the fans. There must be a way to do both - provide and entertaining and competitive team on the ice and develop players.

Well thought out and very well said.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
If the affiliation works out for everyone, I wonder if Pegula would consider purchasing the Jackals and bringing the entire Sabres organization under one ownership group.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
The last Jackals team worth my time was 2011-2012. It was a special team. That had veterans and seasoned players who weren't veterans but fair playing experience, a lot of AHL experience and a coach who was very experienced at minor league hockey. I actually think he did a better job than Marty though both were exceptions to this leagues norm.

This isn't minor league baseball. You'll be lucky if one guy on the Jackals ever becomes a Sabres regular. Hockey is not baseball and as soon as the suits get it we will be okay.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Serious doubts sums this plan up the best. When I read the articles it seemed more like this is a scheme more than a business plan - with not much hope of succeeding.

The population of Elmira works against the chance of success. Maybe they already do this, but the Jackals need to market themselves to any communities with a 45 minute drive. There must be at least 250,000 people within that radius, I'm guessing. But it's tough to get people to commit to a long drive to see ECHL hockey unless there's something entertaining on the ice to see. I've gone to a couple of Jackals games - driving from my brother's place in Wellsboro, PA - which is just short of an hour away. Not horrible insofar as the drive is concerned and the games have been entertaining. Perhaps the Sabres/Amerks affiliation will help - but bottom line is they need a good on ice product and they need to promote it effectively to get people buying seats.

The biggest problem I see in that respect is that once fans get the perception that the team is on the way out, they stop going even more - thus exacerbating the problem. They also don't like to hear that "it's on the fans to show up" - especially of the game experience is not satisfactory. That means a competitive team and great gameday experience. There's some positive movement in that regard as I read about improvements to the arena including the scoreboard and general repairs/cleanup. The purchase of the Lindenwald Haus seems like another positive as well.

I think that the best hope is that within the three year time frame, the affiliation with Elmira proves to be of value and importance in the management of organization depth and the creation of an effective and efficient pipeline between Buffalo, Rochester and Elmira. So much so that if the Elmira experiment fails, the Sabres might be willing to either outright purchase the team, keep them in Elmira and absorb the losses or arrange some sort of subsidy to cover some of the losses that the public is incurring.

Pretty much they have to win. I'm not gunna bank on a bunch of dudes with glorious M-F desk jobs as businessmen to know much about sports since apparently they get final say on roster and stuff. You need people who are big sports fans, follow this stuff and know things about sports...not people like the county executive.

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
If the affiliation works out for everyone, I wonder if Pegula would consider purchasing the Jackals and bringing the entire Sabres organization under one ownership group.

That's what I'm thinking as well.

Pretty much they have to win. I'm not gunna bank on a bunch of dudes with glorious M-F desk jobs as businessmen to know much about sports since apparently they get final say on roster and stuff. You need people who are big sports fans, follow this stuff and know things about sports...not people like the county executive.

You are correct. This community ownership and the board that will govern it are suspect at best.

Pass. That guy gets enough attention as "God"

The thing is, I don't think that Pegula wants to get as much attention as god. I think he wants to own the team, do what he can to support a winning environment and enjoy. He seems like a pretty unassuming, unpretentious guy to me

Last edited by a moderator:

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
The thing is, I don't think that Pegula wants to get as much attention as god. I think he wants to own the team, do what he can to support a winning environment and enjoy. He seems like a pretty unassuming, unpretentious guy to me

I don't know....I just think he's overrated. The on ice product for them has gotten really bad under him. He talked a big game. These side things like a harbor center don't win games. Im not big on him buying the Bills. They have sucked forever. The way the Sabres have gone I'm not seeing him bringing changes that matter. At that rate I would almost rather the team go away then exist and suck. Football with a short schedule is meant to be good. Its designed for every team to be atleast .500 though.

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
The last Jackals team worth my time was 2011-2012. It was a special team. That had veterans and seasoned players who weren't veterans but fair playing experience, a lot of AHL experience and a coach who was very experienced at minor league hockey. I actually think he did a better job than Marty though both were exceptions to this leagues norm.

This isn't minor league baseball. You'll be lucky if one guy on the Jackals ever becomes a Sabres regular. Hockey is not baseball and as soon as the suits get it we will be okay.

Hockey is not baseball and as soon as the suits get it we will be okay.

perfectly said.

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014

From a fan who believes the same.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Hockey is not baseball and as soon as the suits get it we will be okay.

perfectly said.

I get you can have goalies but that's a fickle position. One year a guy can be an NHL starter and the next an AHL starter or backup. There's so few solid goalie situations but that's an exception really. Every other spot once you make it and establish yourself as worthy its hard to lose it. Hockey has too many contracts. Not every guy on the AHL team is NHL contracted. They should only have maybe 40. Theoretically they should only have contracts for the AHL team and draft picks who are too young to be in the AHL for juniors. They don't stash their best prospects in the E. More like the worst and they have nowhere else to send them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad