Jack Todd: Hockey Night in Canada? More like Hockey Night in Toronto

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Sportsnet (through the CBC) has turned itself into The Leafs Network and Hockey Night in Canada has been dragged along, like it or not

JACK TODD, SPECIAL TO MONTREAL GAZETTE Updated: October 6, 2019

These are sad days for those among us who recall the great Danny Gallivan and his Savardian spinorama — days when Hockey Night in Canada has become little more than a public-relations outlet for the Toronto Maple Leafs.

It has been going on for a couple of decades now, so this isn’t really new — but for all practical purposes, Sportsnet (through the CBC) has turned itself into The Leafs Network and Hockey Night in Canada has been dragged along, like it or not.

Our thanks to reader Paul Wilkinson of Dorval, who pointed out the Canadiens will be featured on CBC only six times all season — including the four games the Habs play against the Leafs. CBC will also show one game featuring the Habs against the Florida Panthers and one versus the Ottawa Senators.

More: Jack Todd: Hockey Night in Canada? More like Hockey Night in Toronto

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
I don’t even care tbh, it’s not totally insufferable.

Having to watch the Canes broadcast for game 1 was brutal though, it’s like they couldn’t even find someone off this site to fact check things for them.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Who really wants Montreal on the national broadcast? Is there a French CBC now? Do they do any games other than Montreal?

Reactions: supermann_98

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Sounds like someone better get their team in order if they want the prime time spot. Leafs bring in more money

Reactions: Lilou

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Again, the CBC's mandate is to broadcast to all Canadians. All Canadians fund it yet it over-serves Leafs fans and under-serves others.
Haven't concerned myself with it,but how would you divvy up the broadcasts...percentage of fans or geographically or some other method? I mean,let's say (for example) that 10 % of hockey fans are Hab fans,then 90 % of the hockey fan base can suck eggs if they don't wanna watch? Then at the end of the season ,someone in accounting points out that the bottom line(Da Money!) isn't as good as the Leaf broadcasts,so now they want more funding (tax payer money) to show less popular teams playing....effing genius!

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I don’t really disagree at all. It’s been a joke for years but it’s on a new level since the Leafs have been lighting up the regular season. The media is based out of there and I think that’s the root problem. I actually think sports net is still better than TSN when it comes to Leafs homerism though.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
The Golden Horseshoe accounts for 25% of the population, and 33% of the Canadian population is primarily English speaking provinces. What the hell do people expect?
there's 3 Eastern conference Canadian teams..perhaps rotate Saturday nights on CBC?

we don't see the Cowboys or Patriots every Sunday night

I mean, the Yankees playoff game was on MLB TV FFS

Reactions: Skipee
Oct 18, 2011
It's alot of media cheerleading I think that's what irritates the non leafs fans beyond just showing them. As an American who does not regularly watch HNIC, when I do watch it's basically a Leafs regional broadcast so I can see how it annoys the rest of Canada

Jim Hughson used to be a good announcer but not anymore

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
there's 3 Eastern conference Canadian teams..perhaps rotate Saturday nights on CBC?

we don't see the Cowboys or Patriots every Sunday night

I mean, the Yankees playoff game was on MLB TV FFS
No market in the United States is even comparable to the percentage of Canada's population the GTA and surrounding municipalities make up, then you add in the fact that Montreal's market is fragmented by language. To put it in perspective, the North-East megapolis (Boston to DC) accounts for roughly 17% of the United States. Those combined municipalities account for (Patriots, Jets, Giants, Redskins and Ravens). The GTA alone makes up 16% of the entire Canadian population. Turn that into the Golden Horseshoe which up until Niagara is Leafs tv territory you are talking 25%. Factor in CBC has its own francophone outlets in ICI.

Why would a business not put on the games that will sell the most commercials and increase revenue. Rogers is a buisness and has full control over HNC. CBC just gives them the air-time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad