WJC: Jack "The Dominator" Campbell

v-man

Apr 19, 2006
Toronto
www.ivories.ca
And heck, the Central Scouting Service thought that Alexandre Daigle was a great prospect, so why believe them over "v-man". You've sold me.

Can't argue with you there. Central Scouting is wrong more than they're right. In the end, Bob McKenzie get's all his info from the same places anyone on here does. A lot of guys on here though watch a lot more actually hockey than he does. I'm not saying I'm one of them, but just cause he's on TV doesn't make him an authority to be believe at all times.

Rick Middleton

May 14, 2002
Ottawa, ON
Read the OP. Nobody is putting him in the HOF. There was a Hasek joke and a question about draft status. But these dopes saying that he was either a non-factor, or a negative factor for Team USA last night are completely out to lunch.

Moreover, this isn't a "one game" phenomenon. See last year's U-18 tournament, where he also took down Russia in the gold medal game with a phenomenal performance. How many big games must a 17 year old goalie have before he gets talked up as a legit 1st round talent?

:shakehead

you people do realise this kid made 32 saves coming off the bench right?

he is 17 years old and was the main reason why the US won (also your goalie sucking more then Lee helped).

he is more of a Hasek at 17 then Hasek was himself..

he will be the first goalie picked in June, no doubt about it.

Jack "Martin Brodeur Jr" Campbell

Clutch like Brodeur

Two posters likened him to HOF goalies, as did the OP. If you want to take the OP's reference as a joke, then feel free to do so. It looked more like a comparison than a jest though.

Gooch

May 28, 2008
Coeur d'Alene Idaho
Campbell stood out to me as more bad than good. He spent more time on his back than in position. When a smart skater/scorer like Eberle realizes this he just flutters one over him for an easy goal that wouldnt be the case if he stayed up.

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
Tough call. Then again, the NHL Central Scouting Service seems to think Campbell is the #1 goalie in the entire 2010 class (see: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=506411, http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=506899). But, honestly, what do those guys know compared to "v-man"?

Actually, the article doesn't claim that at all. He is considered the best goalie of the USHL, there is zero word on how they rank him against goalies from the CHL-leagues or Europe.

If you look through the article, you will notice that they go through all the leagues, position by position, and mention who they see as the best. Every league has their three best goalies mentioned. At no point do they compare between the leagues.

They may consider Campbell the best goalie in the draft, but so far they haven't made any comment about who they see in the lead.

Jim Morrison

Aug 4, 2009
Jack "Martin Brodeur Jr" Campbell

Clutch like Brodeur

As much as I hate to say it...he also chokes like Brodeur did against Carolina :cry:

Yeah, I don't get how he's 'clutch' when he gave up a 2 goal load in the dying minutes of the game. Which he did in two games.

Don't get me wrong, he's a great goaltender and will probably have a good career too.

In Exisle

Nov 24, 2006
Boston, MA
It's simply moronic to pin the blown leads exclusively on Campbell. The team in front of him folded and more often then not the puck is going to go in the back of the net when that happens.

He played an amazing game and stepped it up when Canada was pressing early in the 3rd.

32/34 in terms of saves is nothing to belittle. Let alone in a high pressure situation in an unfriendly environment.

Kid showed a lot of courage, just like his teammates. Like all goaltenders his age, he does need some work. However, I don't think it's outlandish to say he can be a 1st rounder this coming draft.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Somehow I doubt that you have any idea how good Hasek was at that age...

Starter in the Czechoslovakian league, best goalie in the EJC and WJC. Don't think for just one second that Hasek didn't do anything of note before turning into an NHL-starter in Buffalo. He was flat out dominant in Europe, just like he was flat out dominant in North America after getting used to the style of game.

Campbell is a terrific prospect, but comparing him in any way to Hasek is just wrong, even at that age.

never said Hasek didn't do anything at 17, but he didn't become "the dominator" until his days with Buffalo. I got to watch him with the Hawks before that, and you knew he was good, but the guy was beatable and nothing close to a dominator.

What Campbell has done and under the pressure in which he has done it puts him in the league as some of the best that have played in this tourney. Everywhere the kid goes, he wins, and that is the true sign of his value.

Can't wait to see him defend his u-18 Gold this spring.

Lifer

Dec 29, 2009
Minnesota
Yeah, I don't get how he's 'clutch' when he gave up a 2 goal load in the dying minutes of the game. Which he did in two games.

Don't get me wrong, he's a great goaltender and will probably have a good career too.

I shall try to explain this from a goalie's perspective.

He's clutch because he had to come OFF THE BENCH in that atmosphere in a game where he was not expecting to play at all, in the biggest game of his life, against Canada, in Canada. It's completely different than say, a relief pitcher in baseball who gets a warm-up. Imagine Mariano Rivera just suddenly having to walk out to the mound and strike out Albert Pujols in St. Louis in the World Series with the bases loaded and leading by 1 run in the bottom of the 9th inning, with no warning and without throwing a single warm-up pitch. I understand that you prepare for every game as if you are going to play but psychologically there is really nothing you can do to prepare for getting thrown into the fire unless you are born with the mental fortitude to just step in and play, in which case, the OP's point is correct in saying that he's a stud.

Here's how it sounds on the bench:

Dean Blais: Campbell, get your ass in there, we can't take any more of this ****!!!

A scared Campbell: Oh ****. I knew this was going to happen the way this game was going. I hope I don't **** up. Well, at least if we lose it will be because of Lee. Here goes nothing...

OR

A confident Campbell: Finally!!! I get a chance to help this team the way I know I can! I'm not letting anything by me. Screw it, I can stretch during the intermission.

The point is that he delivered in a pressure situation which is the definition of clutch.

Flame away. Whatever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad