WJC: Jack "The Dominator" Campbell

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Looks like USA has a mini-Hasek on their hands. :D

This guy still a first-round pick? Top 15? Bottom 15? He'll probably be tending the pipes for them the next two tournaments.

ronnyweed

Aug 7, 2008
Ontario
6 goals againts and 0-3 in the shootout in less than 2 games played, hes good but by no means did he dominate. hasek mades saves when he was out of position, this guy only used positioning to makes saves, not even close to being similar styled goalies.

if anything jake allen is the next toskala

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Jake Allen sucks, he definitely pulled a Toskala/Raycroft.

The US played a hard game and won, but I think they did it in spite of their goaltender. The two goals against in the last minutes definitely wasn't dominatoresque at all. And Campbell couldn't make a save in the shootout on NYE. He showed some flashes though.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Campbell will likely go mid to late first (strictly IMO). He was good, especially for a 17 year old in a U-20 tournament, but he wasn't Hasekesque to me.

SpitsOHL89

Dec 8, 2009
Windsor
If you wanna call a guy who twice gave up two 2 goal leads a dominator then go right ahead. He looks like a great young goalie no doubt about it but he had little say in any of the reasons why they won tonight.

hlundqvist30*

Jake Allen sucks, he definitely pulled a Toskala/Raycroft.

The US played a hard game and won, but I think they did it in spite of their goaltender. The two goals against in the last minutes definitely wasn't dominatoresque at all. And Campbell couldn't make a save in the shootout on NYE. He showed some flashes though.

He's a 17 year old playing in a tournament unlike anything he's ever experienced in his life. To expect him to be anything amazing right now is ridiculous. He wasn't great by any means but he did an outstanding job given the circumstances. If he hasn't progressed in 1-2 years then there will be issues, but right now there's no reason to think he can't be a very good goalie at the NHL level.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
He's a 17 year old playing in a tournament unlike anything he's ever experienced in his life. To expect him to be anything amazing right now is ridiculous. He wasn't great by any means but he did an outstanding job given the circumstances. If he hasn't progressed in 1-2 years then there will be issues, but right now there's no reason to think he can't be a very good goalie at the NHL level.

Yeah he did well considering his own circumstances but in terms of absolute performance, he wasn't Hasek jr out there.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
If you wanna call a guy who twice gave up two 2 goal leads a dominator then go right ahead. He looks like a great young goalie no doubt about it but he had little say in any of the reasons why they won tonight.

:shakehead

you people do realise this kid made 32 saves coming off the bench right?

he is 17 years old and was the main reason why the US won (also your goalie sucking more then Lee helped).

he is more of a Hasek at 17 then Hasek was himself..

he will be the first goalie picked in June, no doubt about it.

Cory Trevor

Smokes, Let's go
Sep 23, 2009
Waltham
i wasn't wowed by Jake Allen but I was originally dissapointed when Lee got the start. Jack Campbell was the better of the two and probably the best goalie of the tournament.

Mr Lahey*

:shakehead

you people do realise this kid made 32 saves coming off the bench right?

he is 17 years old and was the main reason why the US won (also your goalie sucking more then Lee helped).

he will be the first goalie picked in June, no doubt about it.

Wow...American Dream is right:laugh:

Sep 19, 2008
Jack "Martin Brodeur Jr" Campbell

Clutch like Brodeur

As much as I hate to say it...he also chokes like Brodeur did against Carolina :cry:

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I was impressed with Campbell. 34 shots in 36 minutes--not even counting a ton of shots that were blocked. There was a lot of pressure on him and without Palmieri's interference call Canada probably wouldn't have come back to tie. He was pretty much a rock. Not saying where he should be drafted though but you'd figure kind of high.

In any case much better than Lee (worst goalie of the game) or Allen both of whom seemed to be shaky the whole game. Hall's goal and Stepan's goal were just the result of atrocious netminding. They both deserved to be pulled.

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany

Somehow I doubt that you have any idea how good Hasek was at that age...

Starter in the Czechoslovakian league, best goalie in the EJC and WJC. Don't think for just one second that Hasek didn't do anything of note before turning into an NHL-starter in Buffalo. He was flat out dominant in Europe, just like he was flat out dominant in North America after getting used to the style of game.

Campbell is a terrific prospect, but comparing him in any way to Hasek is just wrong, even at that age.

Pascal

Sep 19, 2005
Montreal
He was pretty good but let's not get carried away with the Hasek/Brodeur nicknames. That's worst than Habs fans who think the new prospect in town is the new Gretzky in the making.

Rick Middleton

May 14, 2002
Ottawa, ON
Congratulations to Campbell, he came up big when he needed to. However, I wouldnt start engraving his name in the Hall of Fame just yet. One game doesn't make a career. If it did, Ron Tugnutt would be the best goaltender of all-time for his 70 save performance against the Bruins. He certainly helped his draft status with that performance, but that doesn't mean that he will turn into the next Martin Brodeur or Dominik Hasek. Let's wait a few years before we start crowning him as the next King.

CapsWolverinesUSA

Jan 3, 2007
Congratulations to Campbell, he came up big when he needed to. However, I wouldnt start engraving his name in the Hall of Fame just yet. One game doesn't make a career. If it did, Ron Tugnutt would be the best goaltender of all-time for his 70 save performance against the Bruins. He certainly helped his draft status with that performance, but that doesn't mean that he will turn into the next Martin Brodeur or Dominik Hasek. Let's wait a few years before we start crowning him as the next King.

Read the OP. Nobody is putting him in the HOF. There was a Hasek joke and a question about draft status. But these dopes saying that he was either a non-factor, or a negative factor for Team USA last night are completely out to lunch.

Moreover, this isn't a "one game" phenomenon. See last year's U-18 tournament, where he also took down Russia in the gold medal game with a phenomenal performance. How many big games must a 17 year old goalie have before he gets talked up as a legit 1st round talent?

v-man

Apr 19, 2006
Toronto
www.ivories.ca
He played well enough to get the win, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. He was too quick to go down and let two goals in while lying on his back for extended periods, putting Canada back in the game. At least Hasek would flop around while there to have a chance at making a fluke save. Better goalies than him have recently gone as late as the seventh round, so this talk of a late first round pick is ridiculous.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
He played well enough to get the win, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. He was too quick to go down and let two goals in while lying on his back for extended periods. At least Hasek would flop around while there to have a chance at making a fluke save. Better goalies than him have recently gone as late as the seventh round, so this talk of a late first round pick is ridiculous.

So now we're debating flopping techniques? As for Campbell's potential draft position, if you think he's at best a 7th round talent, then you know much less than I thought.

CapsWolverinesUSA

Jan 3, 2007
He played well enough to get the win, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. He was too quick to go down and let two goals in while lying on his back for extended periods, putting Canada back in the game. At least Hasek would flop around while there to have a chance at making a fluke save. Better goalies than him have recently gone as late as the seventh round, so this talk of a late first round pick is ridiculous.

Well, gee. Who am I going to believe, "v-man" or Bob MacKenzie...

What a game for Campbell. He went into the tournament as a draft eligible player and went into the gold medal game as a potential first rounder. I think his stock may have just gone up a little with Tuesday's effort.

Tough call. Then again, the NHL Central Scouting Service seems to think Campbell is the #1 goalie in the entire 2010 class (see: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=506411, http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=506899). But, honestly, what do those guys know compared to "v-man"?

Last edited:

v-man

Apr 19, 2006
Toronto
www.ivories.ca
So now we're debating flopping techniques? As for Campbell's potential draft position, if you think he's at best a 7th round talent, then you know much less than I thought.

Draft position differs from year to year depending on the talent available. Someone who goes in the seventh round one year could have gone in the third another. From what I've seen of the kid there is no way he's a first rounder, no matter what the year. He barely holds on to win one game and all of a sudden his the second coming of Brodeur? Don't think so.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad