Confirmed with Link: Jack Rathbone named to AHL All Rookie Team

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
I was a little disappointed not to see Rathbone in the NHL for at least a few games towards the end of the year. That said, given the weirdness of the last two years for his development, I'm happy that they chose to keep him for the stretch in Abbotsford. The consistency of that process will serve him well.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I see Canucks Army has a partial piece up on Jack Rathbone, and what to expect this season. He's signed to a two-year, one way contract, so he's penciled into the top-six at the NHL level.

The gist of the article is that Rathbone might be superfluous with Quinn Hughes driving the offense from the back end and being a fixture on the first unit PP. On the other hand, you can never have too much offense from your blueliners.

So what are the expectations?. Could Rathbone be part of a dynamic duo from the back-end with Hughes, and drive offense much like Cale Makar and Devon Toews in Colorado? Could Rathbone supplant OEL as the QB on the second unit PP?

The reality of the situation is that if Rathbone could ever replicate what he accomplished at the AHL-level (a ppg d-man), it would transform this Canucks team.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
I really like Rathbone, I could see him putting up points if given the opportunity. 28 points is my prediction, 5 goals 23 assists. In which would be a very good season. Could see him as a consistent 30+ point defenseman when he develops a further role with the team.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
I definitely think there's a fit for Rathbone in the top 6. Outside of Hughes and OEL he might be the only D-man in the organization that will ultimately fill a top 4 role (not guaranteed but I'm hopeful).

The big issue is that all of those guys play the left side. If OEL can be moved to the right side a Hughes-OEL pairing would be a serious top pairing. Dermott with Myers and Rathbone with Schenn or Poolman.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
In terms of points, for Rathbone, the big question is how long it might take for him to supplant OEL on the second unit pp? Or maybe you play both--the dynamic duo from the blueline. If it ever succeeded, the Canucks would have a lethal first and second unit PP.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
In terms of points, for Rathbone, the big question is how long it might take for him to supplant OEL on the second unit pp? Or maybe you play both--the dynamic duo from the blueline. If it ever succeeded, the Canucks would have a lethal first and second unit PP.
Second unit could go with two D. Rathbone left side and OEL right side.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria

Hunt was on the right half wall with OEL at the top last season. Spot is right there waiting for Rathbone, and he is likely an upgrade on Hunt.

Reactions: iceburg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad