Confirmed with Link: Jack Rathbone named to AHL All Rookie Team

Nov 1, 2011
Time to move OEL to the right side and bring in Rathbone?

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver

I think the play is moving Dermott to the right side. Barring no trades in the offseason (unlikely), something like the following next year:

Hughes - Schenn
OEL - Myers
Rathbone - Dermott

Extras: Burroughs, Poolman

That's what I would hope would happen, although most likely we see Dermott stay on the left side with Poolman as his partner and Rathbone the odd man out.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
If Dermott can play the right side I'd be interested to see if he's a fit for Hughes and then we can pair Schenn and Rathbone. I think Schenn will do a great job insulating Rathbone and Dermott's sneaky effective breakout pass could pair well with Hughes when it comes time to push the puck up the ice.

Reactions: Nucks4Life

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
I think the play is moving Dermott to the right side. Barring no trades in the offseason (unlikely), something like the following next year:

Hughes - Schenn
OEL - Myers
Rathbone - Dermott

Extras: Burroughs, Poolman

That's what I would hope would happen, although most likely we see Dermott stay on the left side with Poolman as his partner and Rathbone the odd man out.

We need to ship out Poolman this offseason... can't have a 7D making the kind of money he is. Perfectly fine with Burroughs or Hunt as our extra dman (hoping we resign Hunt who quietly put up some pretty good numbers this year and seems to be loved in the dressing room)

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
We need to ship out Poolman this offseason... can't have a 7D making the kind of money he is. Perfectly fine with Burroughs or Hunt as our extra dman (hoping we resign Hunt who quietly put up some pretty good numbers this year and seems to be loved in the dressing room)
Poolman is a terrible asset and we can only hope some GM as bad as Benning still sees untapped upside in him and will take him with only a slight sweetener without sending back a terrible cap dump in exchange.

I think a 7-9 of Burroughs, Hunt, and Juulsen is perfectly serviceable for where this team is at.

Reactions: DFAC and Nucks4Life

Nucks4Life

Apr 22, 2022
Good stuff…The question remains though..Is there a spot for a player like him on the Canucks?

There is, but he needs to show he can play D as well. I haven't watched him in Abby so not sure how that aspect has come along in his game. But even another year of dominating down there, becoming very solid defensively with spot call ups would probably do him good.

Then he's on the bottom paid for 2 years with the Canucks, then swaps with OEL for 2nd pair....very easily he can work his way in.

If he's already 'ready' that only makes us stronger. If he can handle playing 3rd pair and more than 8-9 mins a game, it just means Hughes and OEL have less wear and tear and the whole defensive group is more fresh.

Nucks4Life

Apr 22, 2022
Boudreau likes /trusts Hunt so not necessarily so..The issue with Rathbone were his giveaways..
Yes so the question I have is, has that area improved? If not or just marginally, he will need another season in the AHL to clean up the defensive side. Won't hurt for him to dominate again, become even stronger defensively. As JR and Alvin said, they like their prospects to come out of the AHL "over ripe", meaning they are more than ready.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

Lemmiwinks

Jun 11, 2011
B.C.
Yes so the question I have is, has that area improved? If not or just marginally, he will need another season in the AHL to clean up the defensive side. Won't hurt for him to dominate again, become even stronger defensively. As JR and Alvin said, they like their prospects to come out of the AHL "over ripe", meaning they are more than ready.
I personally don't care if he's Sbisa 2.0 in his own end. He utterly dominates the A and should have been in Vancouver sooner than the start of next season.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Maybe we can mulligan Bennings final boneheaded move when he traded for OEL??

Move love to build a statue of Alvin if he can somehow unload OEL and Myers this offseason...

Anyways great for the Bone, hopefully has a strong offseason and training camp and forces himself onto the Canucks lineup next season...

cc

Feb 28, 2002
I'm curious to see how Boudreau handles his ice time when he eventually gets to playing with the big club. Like many coaches, BB seems to have some trust issues with less experienced players. I suspect he will give him a short leash.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
I think Rathbone is best suited playing with OEL. If they do move on from Myers I don't think OEL could succeed as the primary puck carrier. I also think his stable defensive presence would allow Rathbone to do his thing kind of like Myers this year.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I think Rathbone is best suited playing with OEL. If they do move on from Myers I don't think OEL could succeed as the primary puck carrier. I also think his stable defensive presence would allow Rathbone to do his thing kind of like Myers this year.
Doesn’t Rathbone need to play sheltered minutes?

I don’t see him being an all situations player like Myers in anyway.

At least not yet.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Rathbone is point producing machine at AHL-level.....basically a ppg player from the backend and absolutely lethal on pp....I think he actually has a superior point shot to almost anyone playing for the parent Canucks right now, including Hughes.

The question is where he actually fits in next year with the Canucks......but I guess it never hurts to have two guys on the back-end who can wrack up the points.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Rathbone is point producing machine at AHL-level.....basically a ppg player from the backend and absolutely lethal on pp....I think he actually has a superior point shot to almost anyone playing for the parent Canucks right now, including Hughes.

The question is where he actually fits in next year with the Canucks......but I guess it never hurts to have two guys on the back-end who can wrack up the points.
I mean, I love Hughes, but that's not really much of an achievement.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Hell of a year for the kid, he and others continue to prove how scouting misses on kids of that size still...

I hope he does well for you guys next year, him and Hughes out there would be a sight to see!

Reactions: Lemmiwinks

RutherPlan

Jan 2, 2022
He would have to play OEL's minutes in order to be an effective NHL otherwise he will be pigeon-holed into Dermott's role and that's not effectively utilizing his skill

I think Rathbone should be traded for a RHD that fits as a long term solution for Hughes partner

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I guess the debate will be, can the Canucks afford two offensive, albeit somewhat undersized left-shot d-men in Hughes and Rathbone in the same lineup?

The answer is a resounding 'yes' imo. It's just so hard to score goals five-on-five these days. Having two guys on the back-end on different pairings who can drive some serious offensive numbers is a luxury few teams have.

At least I'd like to see them give it a try for half a season.

Reactions: wetcoast

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad