Prospect Info: Jack Quinn, RW (8th overall, 2020) -- Ottawa 67s (3 year ELC signed 11/16)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
I'm not sure I'm tracking: the dude who's almost 2 pts/game doesn't have a higher ceiling?
They're saying that Rossi is more developed physically so is close to his peak aka lower ceiling in not much more growth potential whilst Quinn has more room to grow. Now that doesn't mean Rossi ceiling is lower it just means metaphorically he's the 6'4" senior compared to the gangly 6' freshman that someone prognasticates will grow into a 6'6 beast.

I'm a huge Quinn fan, think I was the first to mention him months ago but I would of went Rossi - Quinn - Lundell - Perfetti in the same circumstances.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
These are useless comparisons. Because you can't just look at statistics. We know that Rossi has been playing hockey since childhood and worked a lot. Quinn, on the contrary, relatively recently began to take hockey seriously, he blossomed late and made the big jump as he began to take hockey seriously. They have different anthropometry, positions, style of play, characters. This makes sense, you are not looking only at statistics or analytics when choosing a player to draft, you are considering all factors. Rossi could probably be the safer choice, but that doesn't mean Adams should have chosen the safer choice. Quinn has a high ceiling and is already doing great, and this is a guy who only started getting serious about hockey for a couple of years. Also have you read about Krueger, Rossi and Quinn?

But that's the thing. If you look at the list of top scorers it doesn't account for size, style, position, or other factors like you say. And yet it still demonstrates nhl success.

Ultimately when you're choosing how you want to pick players it should be based on what has shown to indicate NHL success, not what any group or individual thinks indicates nhl success

And I don't think the points alone are the way to go, although they have outperformed scouts in some instances. I agree that the more intangible things you mentioned are important, I guess it comes down to how much you value each. I'm going to lean towards what has shown to have worked, even if it's only to a slight degree.

Even if quinn has a higher ceiling than rossi, I don't agree with passing on what looks to be a sure thing top 6 forward at 8 overall. Maybe he won't be, but it's so rare such an option is available. Maybe our difference in opinion on this just comes down to draft strategy.

Regarding Krueger, that is definitely an aspect that makes me more confident in the pick. I don't think Ralph knows everything, but for him to forgo a family connection in favor of Quinn has to say he's extremely high on Quinn. Doesn't make me love the pick yet, but I am more excited to follow Quinn's development than had there not been that aspect.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012

Posting this again for those who missed it. While I still don’t quite get taking Jack over Rossi, these quotes from scouts make me feel very intrigued by his upside. Really excited to see how his game progresses going forward.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

Posting this again for those who missed it. While I still don’t quite get taking Jack over Rossi, these quotes from scouts make me feel very intrigued by his upside. Really excited to see how his game progresses going forward.

Yep. The stats are the stats, but the Sabres crew are definitely not the only people who watched a bunch of 67s games and came away with the conclusion that Quinn was the best player on their roster. Time will tell.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Yep. The stats are the stats, but the Sabres crew are definitely not the only people who watched a bunch of 67s games and came away with the conclusion that Quinn was the best player on their roster. Time will tell.

Rossi was the OHL MVP. So, the majority opinion is that Rossi was the better player.

And this isn't about who was the better player last year. It's who will be a better player in the NHL. The main reasons to believe that Quinn will be better are the late bloomer factor with Quinn and the difference in size and skillset.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Rossi was the OHL MVP. So, the majority opinion is that Rossi was the better player.

And this isn't about who was the better player last year. It's who will be a better player in the NHL. The main reasons to believe that Quinn will be better are the late bloomer factor with Quinn and the difference in size and skillset.
Red Tilson Trophy - Wikipedia
UPL won it last year, and Michael Houser in 2011-12
Other OHL MVP winners that have been in the Sabres organization:
Cody Hodgson
Brad Boyes
Brian Campbell
David Legwand
Todd Simon
Ray Sheppard
John Tucker
Doug Gilmour
Mike Foligno*
Dale McCourt*
Don Lever*
Gibert Perreault*

* OHA

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
we do not know that yet.. Quinn path and highlights w his drive are intriguing as is his ceiling

We know for sure with Nylander.

With Quinn, we just know how his D+0 was. He was a top-tier scorer, playing in Vanek-Roy-Afinogenov role to Rossi's Drury/Briere. I preferred the player with the same exact drive, who scored more, and saw the tougher matchups.

Reactions: sufferer

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm

I'm amazed at how much the boards think Adams is returded

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I'm amazed at how much the boards think Adams is returded

I don't anyone thinks that...I think a lot of the boards think he made a bad first pick. Certainly doesn't get full judgement on one mistake, and thankfully, while I hate the mistake, it's not like he went crazily off the board. Quinn was a prospect solidly in the next tier.

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
I don't anyone thinks that...I think a lot of the boards think he made a bad first pick. Certainly doesn't get full judgement on one mistake, and thankfully, while I hate the mistake, it's not like he went crazily off the board. Quinn was a prospect solidly in the next tier.

My point is either character or talent. Or ceiling. Adams family thinks Quinn is clearly a tier above Rossi Perfetti etc.. So does Button.. Button could be senile and Adams insane ... We'll see .

I will say the goals scored by Quinn started to make me understand the ceiling on the pick.

GOALOFSSON

Game Changer
Jun 6, 2018
Aspland
I preferred the player with the same exact drive, who scored more, and saw the tougher matchups.

You mean the guy who has played hockey for way longer, who was much more physically developed, and from what I've read played with two pretty good overagers instead of a rookie and a ~6th round pick? Same guy.

It is not a mistake at this moment in time.

Reactions: Cheese Breadman

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
This is all personal opinion. Draft people like Button had Quinn over Rossi. Button bases his rankings on projecting these kids as NHL players in the future. Some of the scouts notes from above have Quinn over Rossi too. Brian Burke liked the pick when it was made too. None of them were questioning the pick. Saying Quinn was clearly in a class below is just personal opinion and not based on fact. Saying the pick was a mistake is just personal opinion as well. We shall see how things go. I don’t like the comparison to Nylander. Nylander was lazy and that was mentioned in his scouting reports. He didn’t assert himself and didn’t care about the defensive aspect of the game. Quinn is the polar opposite.

I like Rossi a lot and thinks he fits Minnesota like a glove. I am ready to watch Quinn develop. If he continues to grow and turns into a 40 goal scorer he is good defensively and can play PK then that is a home run pick.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
You mean the guy who has played hockey for way longer, who was much more physically developed, and from what I've read played with two pretty good overagers instead of a rookie and a ~6th round pick? Same guy.

It is not a mistake at this moment in time.

If you think Quinn was the pick, stand by that. Don't leave yourself room to back-track later.

I thought Nylander was the wrong pick the day he was drafted (would've gone Chychrun). I was right.

I thought Mittelstadt was the wrong pick the day he was drafted (would've gone Vilardi). It was dicey for a bit, but I'm trending right.

I thought Cozens was the wrong pick the day he was drafted (would've gone Krebs). I'm trending to be wrong.

I think Quinn was the wrong pick. I'll happily be wrong, but I'm not going to be afraid of that.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
This is all personal opinion. Draft people like Button had Quinn over Rossi. Button bases his rankings on projecting these kids as NHL players in the future. Some of the scouts notes from above have Quinn over Rossi too. Brian Burke liked the pick when it was made too. None of them were questioning the pick. Saying Quinn was clearly in a class below is just personal opinion and not based on fact. Saying the pick was a mistake is just personal opinion as well. We shall see how things go. I don’t like the comparison to Nylander. Nylander was lazy and that was mentioned in his scouting reports. He didn’t assert himself and didn’t care about the defensive aspect of the game. Quinn is the polar opposite.

I like Rossi a lot and thinks he fits Minnesota like a glove. I am ready to watch Quinn develop. If he continues to grow and turns into a 40 goal scorer he is good defensively and can play PK then that is a home run pick.

Of course it's personal opinion. That's the point of these forums. I was answering a question I believed to be a misconception of peoples' opinion of Adams.

Reactions: Jim Bob

GOALOFSSON

Game Changer
Jun 6, 2018
Aspland
If you think Quinn was the pick, stand by that. Don't leave yourself room to back-track later.

I thought Nylander was the wrong pick the day he was drafted (would've gone Chychrun). I was right.

I thought Mittelstadt was the wrong pick the day he was drafted (would've gone Vilardi). It was dicey for a bit, but I'm trending right.

I thought Cozens was the wrong pick the day he was drafted (would've gone Krebs). I'm trending to be wrong.

I think Quinn was the wrong pick. I'll happily be wrong, but I'm not going to be afraid of that.

It isn't a guarantee but im feeling good about the pick. A lot to like about Quinn's potential.

As for our previous picks, there are noticeable and measurable differences between Nylander/Mitts and Cozens/Quinn. Mainly work ethic, but Quinn is a 200ft player and Cozens is 6'3 and can really skate.

BananaSquad

Jun 13, 2013
Niagara

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY

Brian Burke liking a pick is the exact opposite of a good sign.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Why do people care about this? Wasn’t Mittelstadt once #1? Absolutely meaningless.
Yeah Pronman LOVED Mitts. These so called draft experts always have their personal favourites and they seem to love to go down with the ship over them.

I still remember people on this board jumping off bridges because the Bills messed up so badly by selecting Allen instead of Josh Rosen.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013

It goes both ways. I wouldn't put much stock into wheelers rankings, but im sure if the nhl scouts had to publish their lists annually there would be stinkers as well.

I think one thing we can all agree on is there are no individuals who's opinions hold so much weight it would significantly change our minds.

Even nhl teams draft duds early, with entire scouting departments signing off on the pick.

Reactions: Royal Thunder
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad