Prospect Info: Jack Quinn, RW (8th overall, 2020) -- Ottawa 67s (3 year ELC signed 11/16)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018
They’ve taken centers 1OV twice. They needed a winger. That was a good pick for them.

Much easier to move a natural center to wing. Plus they can fill in during injuries, I'd be pretty annoyed to be a Devils fan.

FrenchConnection

Aug 28, 2020
On Eichel's wing and score 40 goals :nod:
OLH for a year then AHL for at least 1/2 a year so no time soon.. IF jacks even here by then....and if I was jack if I didnt make the playoffs this year id ask out/trade..he is in his prime and is being wasted on a inept team thats not even close right at this time to playoffs...and guys like Tage dont come close to filling a hole lol.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I think some of my work was already shared in this thread, but I thought that I'd pop by to share a few things just in case. And of course, to answer any further questions you may have.

My write up on Quinn.
OHL Prospects: My Final Top 50 OHL Players for the 2020 NHL Entry Draft - Part 4: 10-1

Media/Scout Poll quotes on Quinn.
OHL Prospects: Final Media/Scout Top 10 for the 2020 NHL Draft

Thanks, I appreciate all the work you do providing this information.

Interesting quote from Sabres GM Kevyn Adams, “I do think Jack has some center tendencies, too. It wouldn’t surprise me if you see him play center next year if he’s in junior.”

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
He's not really a sniper. Definitely a goal scorer, but not of the sniping variety.

The comp fails because of his defensive praise and work ethic, but what about Vanek in terms of his goal scoring acumen?

The Panel said he is comparable to David Pastrnak and I can definitely see why. He is Dangerous all over the ice . He can score from the slot, the left and the right and he has that sick toe drag that can help him change the angle of the shot. He has a deadly quick release that can cause havoc for the opposition. What I really like about him is he has a wide array of release points with his shot that ensures the puck gets through to the net . He isn’t afraid to go to the dirty and high traffic areas to get the puck. And has outstanding hands and hockey sense .

I think the David Pastrnak comparison is spot on

Reactions: bert

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
The Panel said he is comparable to David Pastrnak and I can definitely see why. He is Dangerous all over the ice . He can score from the slot, the left and the right and he has that sick toe drag that can help him change the angle of the shot. He has a deadly quick release that can cause havoc for the opposition. What I really like about him is he has a wide array of release points with his shot that ensures the puck gets through to the net . He isn’t afraid to go to the dirty and high traffic areas to get the puck. And has outstanding hands and hockey sense .

I think the David Pastrnak comparison is spot on

The Pastrnak comparison falls apart when you realize that Quinn knows how to tape his stick.

David Pastrnak gave a unique reason for using his bizarre tape job - Article - BARDOWN

https%3A%2F%2Ftipofthetower.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fgetty-images%2F2017%2F07%2F1200533281-850x560.jpeg

Last edited:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Here's the article about Quinn I was referring to earlier. His defensive play is also why I think he could make the Sabres this season.
2020 NHL Draft: The interesting, meteoric rise of Jack Quinn

If Quinn is able to improve his positioning drastically in juniors and is able to show consistency in his goal-scoring prowess from this past season, then he projects as a top-6 player at the next level. Though I am adamant to believe he can score 50+ goals in the NHL, he has the upside to be a consistent 35 to 40 goal scorer from a year-to-year basis. His playmaking, though not shown often, could be a massive help in his pursuit of NHL stardom.

Cant think of a more different player stylistically.
Yep, if both Rossi and Perfetti falling our way didn’t move the needle, nothing other than one of the Big 3 dropping was going to.
The sens were taking him if Sanderson was gone. The Sabres werent the only team that was extremely high on him. That with Rossi and Quinn playing in their back yard. Frankly I wanted the sens to find a way to get him as did most posters that attended alot of 67 games from the Ottawa board. Was hoping if he fell to 10 they could package Brannstrom and one of the many 2nds potentially maybe multiple to trade up. I think there is a good chance team Canadas first line at the WJC will feature Perfetti Byfield Quinn. Its going to be electric to watch. Instead the sens wasted their draft capital on Tyler Kleven and the sabres nabbed Peterka after the sens reached for Jarventie. Incredibly dissapointing draft for me as a sens fan. I think the Sabres made out like bandits.

Last edited:

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Cant think of a more different player stylistically.

The sens were taking him if Sanderson was gone. The Sabres werent the only team that was extremely high on him. That with Rossi and Quinn playing in their back yard. Frankly I wanted the sens to find a way to get him as did most posters that attended alot of 67 games from the Ottawa board. Was hoping if he fell to 10 they could package Brannstrom and one of the many 2nds potentially maybe multiple to trade up. I think there is a good chance team Canadas first line at the WJC will feature Perfetti Byfield Quinn. Its going to be electric to watch. Instead the sens wasted their draft capital on Tyler Kleven and the sabres nabbed Peterka after the sens reached for Jarventie. Incredibly dissapointing draft for me as a sens fan. I think the Sabres made out like bandits.

Seems that chasing negativity is a common theme across every team's HF board. I bet some of the TB regulars could probably find something to moan about. :laugh:

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
You’ve obviously never watched Rossi play
I've seen a lot of kids in the OHL play, Alex Nylander was a stud in the OHL and look how he turned out. He made the NHL yeah but he didn't have the impact he had in the OHL, not even close.

At the end of the day, no one knows. Right now it's an opinion from everyone even the scouts. Go back on every draft and look at how many top 10's have stuck in the NHL or had any impact as a big as they did in the OHL.

Some do and did but not all. You just never know but opinion often gets painted as fact too much.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I've seen a lot of kids in the OHL play, Alex Nylander was a stud in the OHL and look how he turned out. He made the NHL yeah but he didn't have the impact he had in the OHL, not even close.

At the end of the day, no one knows. Right now it's an opinion from everyone even the scouts. Go back on every draft and look at how many top 10's have stuck in the NHL or had any impact as a big as they did in the OHL.

Some do and did but not all. You just never know but opinion often gets painted as fact too much.

I was basing my statement on the reasons you said he won't work out, not the fact that there's no precedent. I agree -- he could bust. I just don't agree with your reasons why.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

I agree that it's too early to predict how they will do.

I will say, Quinn has a more pro-friendly game, which should allow him to feel more comfortable going to the parts of the ice that he needs to at higher levels which is where a lot of "skilled-finessed junior players" like a Nylander, have trouble taking that next step. I think because of that he will find a role at the NHL level. Whether that's a 30-50 goal scorer or a 3rd line grinder two way player, he has a good chance to be a solid if not good NHL player, much more than say our previous 8th overall forwards.

My anger and hatred of the pick lies in what was left on the table and the amount of talent that we chose Quinn over. I felt we really missed the mark on the opportunity for a player that was considered a top 5 player, until the seasons ended and the usual moving up and down of rankings happened, despite no hockey being played.

But as I said in another thread, I just want us to hit on this pick. So if Quinn becomes a good to great hockey player, then I'll be happy.

Last edited:

jc17

Jun 14, 2013

Stylistically Nylander has always been known for his soft play. Rossi is small but won plenty of battles and played so much more of a complete game.

I don't know how you can compare Rossi to Nylander as just another good OHL player. Since 05 when the data is available Rossi is 5th in OHL pts/gm. He led his team by 30 points.

Here are his comparable scorers, even after adjusting for inflated scoring this year:
upload_2020-10-8_13-13-14.png

Out of that group the only players you can maybe argue aren't worth the 8th pick are D. Strome and Gagner. Gagner was carried by Kane, Dylan Strome was also on a team with McDavid, better than Rossis.

The point is that Rossi isn't just another guy who did well in the OHL. His production puts him among the top players in the past decade, and 1 of the 2 "worst" players he compares to has scored at a rate of 62 points per season the last two years and the other still had a decent NHL career. These types of players just do not bust often.

There's always a chance Rossi will bust, but what he has done in juniors makes that likelihood so low I think passing on him is a mistake. Will he be the first one in that list of names to truly bust because he's short? Maybe. Do we have much reason to think so? No

Last edited:

MillerTime

Apr 27, 2003
Halifax
After listening to Ralph's interview on the Instigators today I feel even better about this pick. Ralph mentioned he coached Rossi's Dad so he knows Rossi well. Said he got to know Quinn through Rossi and was really excited about getting him.

You would think if they took Quinn over him with how much Ralph knows Rossi he would have had to really have been on board with it.

Ralph wasn't ruling out him making the team due to him being not only being a true goal scorer but can play both ends of the ice

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
After listening to Ralph's interview on the Instigators today I feel even better about this pick. Ralph mentioned he coached Rossi's Dad so he knows Rossi well. Said he got to know Quinn through Rossi and was really excited about getting him.

You would think if they took Quinn over him with how much Ralph knows Rossi he would have had to really have been on board with it.

Ralph wasn't ruling out him making the team due to him being not only being a true goal scorer but can play both ends of the ice

I wouldn't be surprised if we see a lot more players make the jump than usual this year. For one, the prospects have had a much longer off-season than usual to work out and try to get in NHL shape. For two, teams everywhere are trying to cut cost, and ELCs are cheap. Three, rosters are probably going to be expanded, so you can keep the kid with the team without it costing you any otherwise everyday players. And four, the uncertainty of what kind of season---or even if there will be one---North American junior leagues will be having might drive desire to keep prospects from those leagues up, so they can at least skate/practice/get some coaching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad