Prospect Info: Jack Quinn, RW (8th overall, 2020) -- Ottawa 67s (3 year ELC signed 11/16)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Jersey looks awesome. Quinn just posted on IG.

upload_2020-10-10_0-18-45.png

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
I wouldn't be surprised if we see a lot more players make the jump than usual this year. For one, the prospects have had a much longer off-season than usual to work out and try to get in NHL shape. For two, teams everywhere are trying to cut cost, and ELCs are cheap. Three, rosters are probably going to be expanded, so you can keep the kid with the team without it costing you any otherwise everyday players. And four, the uncertainty of what kind of season---or even if there will be one---North American junior leagues will be having might drive desire to keep prospects from those leagues up, so they can at least skate/practice/get some coaching.

I have been wondering if Quinn might be a bit more NHL-ready than would a similar drafted prospect in a normal year.

Given that he was already at the older end of his draft class, and he is getting several extra months in the gym before we even have any training camp or anything.

Still think it’s by far more likely that he gets at least a year in back in junior, but can’t rule out anything in this crazy year.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I have been wondering if Quinn might be a bit more NHL-ready than would a similar drafted prospect in a normal year.

Given that he was already at the older end of his draft class, and he is getting several extra months in the gym before we even have any training camp or anything.

Still think it’s by far more likely that he gets at least a year in back in junior, but can’t rule out anything in this crazy year.
Seeing as hes known as a late developer and they were on his potential because he hadn't focused on hockey for very long it seems like it would be a mistake to bring him up.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
Seeing as hes known as a late developer and they were on his potential because he hadn't focused on hockey for very long it seems like it would be a mistake to bring him up.
It all depends on what happens with the OHL. Better to be with the big club practicing and getting some games if there's no season or they go non-contact

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
It all depends on what happens with the OHL. Better to be with the big club practicing and getting some games if there's no season or they go non-contact
Right, its different this year, but still the past two seasons there has been so much talk about not rushing propsects, cozens and mitts in particular, it seems odd to me that people would want a prospect as raw as quinn, and supposedly behind in development as quinn to be thrown right into the fire, especially if we're icing a team where his linemates could be fringe NHL players. Maybe he is stronger that Mittelstadt, but I dont think strength was the main thing preventing cozens or Mitts from being NHLers already.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
Right, its different this year, but still the past two seasons there has been so much talk about not rushing propsects, cozens and mitts in particular, it seems odd to me that people would want a prospect as raw as quinn, and supposedly behind in development as quinn to be thrown right into the fire, especially if we're icing a team where his linemates could be fringe NHL players. Maybe he is stronger that Mittelstadt, but I dont think strength was the main thing preventing cozens or Mitts from being NHLers already.
I agree but being a wing is substantially easier assignment wise than a center. The good thing about Quinn is he's smart, plays the game right, and goes to the dirty areas. Perfect world he goes to the WJHC, then spends the remaining training camp, and preseason with Buffalo before heading back to Ottawa.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I agree but being a wing is substantially easier assignment wise than a center. The good thing about Quinn is he's smart, plays the game right, and goes to the dirty areas. Perfect world he goes to the WJHC, then spends the remaining training camp, and preseason with Buffalo before heading back to Ottawa.
Just my personal opinion, I dont think his game is very refined. I wouldnt call him dumb, but from what I saw his decision making wasn't always great, and that will only be a bigger challenge in the NHL. He makes some really nice plays, but he also mishandles pucks, doesn't always know what to do with them.

I don't think you're completely wrong when you say he's smart and plays the right way, but I also think thats an oversimplification of his game. It seems like one of those things that just gets repeated because he's not a Nylander or Mitts type, but there's a lot more to being smart and "playing the right way" than not being like the other two players mentioned.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

With expanded rosters likely + the uncertainty about whether the OHL (and other North American developmental leagues) will even play any hockey this year, it's a totally different ballgame. Having your prospects up practicing with the big boys, getting NHL coaching/training--even if they don't skate for a single real game--is clearly better for their development than sending them home to twiddle their thumbs or play no-contact juniors.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
I thought he didn’t look very strong on his skates, balance seemed a little off, should be able to improve that though.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
I think the biggest difference between Rossi and Quinn is that Rossi is fully developed. He is short but he has his man’s body. What you get from him now is pretty much what you get in 5 years.

Looking and listening to Quinn, he is still a gangly teenager. He hasn’t matured physically into his man’s body yet. What you get in 5 years might be so much more then what you get now. His talent is undeniable but he might just be scratching the surface of his true potential. 50 goal scorers that are great in their own end and can PK are rare.

Hope Quinn develops.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I think the biggest difference between Rossi and Quinn is that Rossi is fully developed. He is short but he has his man’s body. What you get from him now is pretty much what you get in 5 years.

Looking and listening to Quinn, he is still a gangly teenager. He hasn’t matured physically into his man’s body yet. What you get in 5 years might be so much more then what you get now. His talent is undeniable but he might just be scratching the surface of his true potential. 50 goal scorers that are great in their own end and can PK are rare.

Hope Quinn develops.

Different sport, but that was the Leaf v Manning argument :) (No, I don't think Quinn is actually a nuts ego-maniac like Leaf)

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Different sport, but that was the Leaf v Manning argument :) (No, I don't think Quinn is actually a nuts ego-maniac like Leaf)
Yeah Leaf had the physical tools but mentally he was a complete disaster

With hearing Adams and Crowe talk about growth potential I think it lines up with my thoughts. Hope they are right.

I like Rossi a lot but I think most that have ragged on the pick haven’t even watched Quinn in depth. The kid has natural ability and stick skills that pop off the screen. The 22 gives me some Bossy vibes with the quick release. I hope he really develops into a special player.

Reactions: Buffaloed

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I understand the argument, but I don't think "more room to develop" is always the best attribute.

Historically there are many more refined junior players that go on to success than projects, just the way it is.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I understand the argument, but I don't think "more room to develop" is always the best attribute.

Historically there are many more refined junior players that go on to success than projects, just the way it is.

OTOH, more room to develop is how the Kings drafted Doughty instead of Bogosian.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Draft year Points per game vs Goals per game .

Great names in each. I just know which list I'd rather take a shot at given the choice. Worth noting Rossi is much closer to the top 15 in goals than Quinn is in points.

OHL Top 15
upload_2020-10-13_21-31-1.png

Taking out the bottom 5 teams that boosted Rossi's numbers, a common criticism.
upload_2020-10-13_21-42-22.png

Here's where Quinn is:
upload_2020-10-13_21-44-49.png

Reason for jumps is removing players just drafted and unknown outlook from 2017-2019 seasons.

I get that people want to be positive about Quinn, he could definitely be great. But I can't tell if it just people trolling for the sake of being positive or if they don't realize the kind of year Rossi had.

There's no guarantee Rossi is better than Quinn. But I'm getting a bit annoyed by the dismissive comments that assume this opinion is baseless whining. Rossi has put himself in a group that not only rarely busts, but is incredibly successful.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
I'm quite optimistic about Quinn but believe Rossi is a top three prospect in this strong draft class.

Inevitable question: Why did he drop to 8? He's three inches too short.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY

Great names in each. I just know which list I'd rather take a shot at given the choice. Worth noting Rossi is much closer to the top 15 in goals than Quinn is in points.

OHL Top 15
View attachment 372666

View attachment 372669

Here's where Quinn is:
View attachment 372670
Reason for jumps is removing players just drafted and unknown outlook from 2017-2019 seasons.

I get that people want to be positive about Quinn, he could definitely be great. But I can't tell if it just people trolling for the sake of being positive or if they don't realize the kind of year Rossi had.

There's no guarantee Rossi is better than Quinn. But I'm getting a bit annoyed by the dismissive comments that assume this opinion is baseless whining. Rossi has put himself in a group that not only rarely busts, but is incredibly successful.

There were guys defending the Nylander pick as late as 2018. Some folks just don’t get it.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018

OHL Top 15
View attachment 372666

View attachment 372669

Here's where Quinn is:
View attachment 372670

These are useless comparisons. Because you can't just look at statistics. We know that Rossi has been playing hockey since childhood and worked a lot. Quinn, on the contrary, relatively recently began to take hockey seriously, he blossomed late and made the big jump as he began to take hockey seriously. They have different anthropometry, positions, style of play, characters. This makes sense, you are not looking only at statistics or analytics when choosing a player to draft, you are considering all factors. Rossi could probably be the safer choice, but that doesn't mean Adams should have chosen the safer choice. Quinn has a high ceiling and is already doing great, and this is a guy who only started getting serious about hockey for a couple of years. Also have you read about Krueger, Rossi and Quinn?

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
I'm not sure I'm tracking: the dude who's almost 2 pts/game doesn't have a higher ceiling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad