Jack Michaels

Ogopogo*

Michaels is mediocre. The problem is - he is American. This is a Canadian game in a Canadian city and we need a Canadian to call the games. Only a Canadian knows and understands the passion and nuances of the game properly to deliver a top-level hockey broadcast. It would be like a Canadian doing NFL football, it's just not right. You can do a decent job but you will never be truly excellent. Stuff like the NCAA football banter does not belong on an Edmonton Oilers broadcast.

Timo

May 23, 2007
Edmonton
Michaels is mediocre. The problem is - he is American. This is a Canadian game in a Canadian city and we need a Canadian to call the games. Only a Canadian knows and understands the passion and nuances of the game properly to deliver a top-level hockey broadcast. It would be like a Canadian doing NFL football, it's just not right. You can do a decent job but you will never be truly excellent. Stuff like the NCAA football banter does not belong on an Edmonton Oilers broadcast.

Judging a persons ability to be passionate about something based on their nationality is incredibly short sighted of you.

If you don't like Jack because of his subpar play calling, then fair. To suggest he is unable due to being American.... I don't even know what to say.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Judging a persons ability to be passionate about something based on their nationality is incredibly short sighted of you.

If you don't like Jack because of his subpar play calling, then fair. To suggest he is unable due to being American.... I don't even know what to say.

Thanks for posting this.

I felt exactly the same way after reading Norms post.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad