Jack Michaels

McDavidMcCup

Jul 9, 2007
Listening to the Oilers-Dallas game I am reminded of how frustrating it is to listen to Jack Michaels. I understand the general policy of the HFboards is not to attack an individual and I am not attempting to do that; merely I am stating what irritates me:

- His habit of talking about non-game related discussion as the play is ongoing. You can hear the action in the background and he rambles for 30 seconds about a historical fact. Describe the game! Do the filler in between play.

- His style of describing the events without any form of commentary/judgement after the event. "And that ends another powerplay without a shot on goal...anyways, in unrelated news.."
At least Rod Phillips would make a comment which were well-timed and accurate.

Anyhow, want to hear the general boards opinion to see if I am alone here in my judgement.

Oct 15, 2008
OP nailed it.

Goes on about useless tidbits during play, as if the game is secondary to his rambling nonsense.

Ridiculous hire.

Six in O6

Feb 24, 2009
Edmonton
He's solid. I don't know what there is to be hard on him about. He's a good announcer, knowledgeable and happy to be in Edmonton.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I made a thread on him after the LA game where Nail cellied hard. Not a whole lot of people like him apparentely.

I can't stand him. He gets far too excited that he sounds ridiculous. When they go off to commercial and he says "On the oILERS radio network". That might be the worst thing about him.

The guy tries way too hard to bring enthusiasm on the play. It's embarrassing listening to him.

/Rant. Yea, I'm harsh on him but ****

I'll say something positive about him though. He calls the play right. That's one thing to like about him.

Horseradish

Dec 9, 2005
London, ON
I literally cannot stand him...when he does that deep voice growl ("you're listening to OOOIIIIILLLLLERRRRSSS RADIO ON 630 CHEDDDDDDD"), I want to break my radio. I like Bob Stauffer too, but I refuse to listen to Michaels broadcast...Phillips was just sooooo much better, it's a shame. He's probably not THAT bad, but I can't stand his voice, his tangents, and his chappiness (chubby happiness...there's just something so dislikable about it).

I imagine he'll be gone in 5-10 years and his replacement will make me happy just because he's not Michaels, even though he won't ever replace Rod and maybe won't even be better than Michaels (but rather have a style I like better).

McDavidMcCup

Jul 9, 2007
I literally cannot stand him...when he does that deep voice growl ("you're listening to OOOIIIIILLLLLERRRRSSS RADIO ON 630 CHEDDDDDDD"), I want to break my radio. I like Bob Stauffer too, but I refuse to listen to Michaels broadcast...Phillips was just sooooo much better, it's a shame. He's probably not THAT bad, but I can't stand his voice, his tangents, and his chappiness (chubby happiness...there's just something so dislikable about it).

I imagine he'll be gone in 5-10 years and his replacement will make me happy just because he's not Michaels, even though he won't ever replace Rod and maybe won't even be better than Michaels (but rather have a style I like better).

Agreed. I don't think I can listen to another 5years of his style. Urg.

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City

I can't stand it when he does that.:rant:

I actually turn my radio off everytime before he's about to give that stupid growl.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Got no problem with him--but I have a big hatred on for the woman that does the anthem now. When she knows she is on national TV to tries to reach for notes she can not do and it ruins the anthem for me. Call me what you like, but I do not like it when people ruin our anthem trying to sing it bigger when they can not (for the record I also still carry a grudge over our flag being hung upside down during the world series)

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
terrible...his goal calls are brutal and his rambling during the play make me hate him even more
rarely does he make the game exciting...something Rod Phillips did even if was a 1-1 snoozer against Minny...

I avoid CHED at all costs

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
I think some of you are overly picky. However, I prefer Oil Kings PbP guy Corey Graham.

Worraps

Oct 23, 2011
Edmonton
I won't listen to the CHED broadcasts because of him. I just let the Oilers app fill me in if I can't get to a TV.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
If Michaels put as much effort into learning about this storied franchise instead of digging up information that has nothing to do with the game, he's be easier to listen to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad