_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
McCann
ZAR
JJ

For
Goligoski
Hinostroza

Vinnie is just a depth utility player, but he'll be cheaper than McCann. Not much value, but he helps replace McCann and ZAR as a depth guy. Goligoski is still a decent D on an expiring contract capable of logging 20 minutes a night.

Sam Pollock

Mar 1, 2013
Calgary
It would probably just be easier to buy Johnson out rather than trade him. The cap hit for the first 2 years is $1,166,667 per season and then $1,916,67 for one season. The last 3 years would be $916,667 per season. Doing a buyout saves the hassle of trading McCann as a sweetener for a 3 round pick.

I can't think of any team honestly wanting him for that salary.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Sutter was traded for Bonino and a 2nd in the past and McCann is better than both Rask and Wallmark. McCann is comparable to guys like Kapanen, Kerfoot and Compher, not guys like Wallmark and Rask.

A team with cap space that would be happy to get a young 3rd liner with 2nd line upside in exchange for taking a bad contract.

A team that has a hole at 3C and likes McCann's potential in the role. Edmonton seems like a great example of a team that would do that, although it's harder for them to do that considering that's what they just traded for Athanasiou. Buffalo is another good example, they may actually be acquiring him to try him in the 2C role (similar to what Vancouver did with Sutter back in 2015).

Victor Rask had a 45 and 48 point season on terrible teams while being pretty good defensively at the same age. He actually looked like a legit 2c before slicing his hand on a sweet potato. He was much more valuable than McCann will ever be....it was actually a complimentary comparison.

Reactions: 57special

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Carter at 50% for Johnson and Samuel Poulin. Kings would then flip or buy out Johnson.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
McCann
ZAR
JJ

For
Goligoski
Hinostroza

Vinnie is just a depth utility player, but he'll be cheaper than McCann. Not much value, but he helps replace McCann and ZAR as a depth guy. Goligoski is still a decent D on an expiring contract capable of logging 20 minutes a night.

Nice proposal. I would do this deal.

Pens give up a good young forward but get a good one back who probably better fits their needs, ZAR is a reliable defensive stopper but he can be replaced, and JJ is JJ. Gogs costs more but being on an expiring deal it's workable.

I guess the real question is why is Jack Johnson being played. It his on ice effect is such a negative why not play someone else.

Pens fans have been asking this since the moment JJ first put his blades on Pittsburgh ice.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Goals scored with Jack Johnson on the ice this series:

Penguins 1
Montreal 5

Goals scored with him on the bench:

Penguins 6
Montreal 2

Jack Johnson has been on the ice for 5 of the 7 Montreal goals this series.

With that being said -- whats the value of a 33 year old 7th defenseman (at best) who has an AAV of 3,250,000 million and is signed until 2023?

:laugh: :help: :thumbd:
I would say contract and age and performance cost a good prospect or a 1st

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
He had a bad Game 1 and a nightmarish Game 2. It was warranted. He's significantly better on the wing than at center, which coupled with rust can lead to bad things.

McCann is a damn solid player, but I really don't like him at center. Problem is every single option for the Penguins there involves moving someone out of their ideal position.

Of course McCann's worst game is on par with Johnson's average, not that you can really compare a 2nd line winger playing 3rd line center to a beer leaguer playing meaningful minutes for a team with Cup aspirations.

I've never liked Jack Johnson and his time in Pittsburgh has taught me how to hate again. It's taken a lot of therapy to become a more positive person, and then Jack Johnson shows up.

On a related note, god am I glad Schultz's contract is up and there's no chance of him re-signing. I know playing with Johnson accounts for a good chunk of it, but he's fallen off a series of cliffs since that broken leg and each one has been more severe than the last...yet Sullivan keeps utilizing him like it's still 2017.

Yep, McCann isn't much of a playmaker so I think if you want to use him at centre you need to pair him with a playmaker and most teams aren't using a playmaking winger on their 3rd line.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
wow whose going to take him after those stats and sign for so long

Someone who's getting a good asset to take him.

The Penguins have 2 prime assets to sink to get rid of JJ: Murray and McCann. They'll use one of those two to get out of JJ's contract, either that or buy him out.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Someone who's getting a good asset to take him.

The Penguins have 2 prime assets to sink to get rid of JJ: Murray and McCann. They'll use one of those two to get out of JJ's contract, either that or buy him out.

I don't think either is enough to take on JJ. I would rather a 1st round pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad