HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
2qmm338.jpg

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I stopped reading when op said he was slow.

Maatta is slow.

JJ is not slow by any stretch of the imagination.

Reactions: BHD

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Always believed the best spot for him to start was beside Tanger or Dumo. Simply cuz pairing him with an Olli, Schultz, Rig, Ruh or a rookie feeling his way in Riiko was always gonna end up bad, for me.

He's certainly not slow, in the physical sense. In the IQ sense, sure.

I'd just love another Dumoulin instead of whatever Olli is.
It'd set things up way better on the back end.
I'm hoping Riiko, if/when he gets more reps(comfortable) can turn into a better Olli...

Last edited:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Haha, it's all good. I hope @pixiesfanyo knows it's just disagreements and not anything hate related. I enjoy some of his/hers posts as I am sure he/she enjoys 1 or 2 of my posts.

I enjoy nothing about hockey outside of Kris Letang highlights and that Alexei Kovalev trick shot video of him throwing full court pucks into random places.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The only way you can argue Johnson is slow is by saying he's mentally slow, which is a valid point to make. However, in terms of skating, he's a very good skating defenseman. Not Letang good, but still very good.

He's basically a Dion Phaneuf clone. He's a minute eating defenseman who can play in all situations and has good athletic attributes, but he's held back by his hockey IQ. If you can put him next to a defenseman that can minimize the impact of his mental gaffes, he'll be a good defenseman for you. That's why I think Johnson-Letang has looked good so far. With Letang playing at a Norris caliber level, Johnson's responsibilities aren't as high on that pair as they are with Maatta .

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
The only way you can argue Johnson is slow is by saying he's mentally slow, which is a valid point to make. However, in terms of skating, he's a very good skating defenseman. Not Letang good, but still very good.

He's basically a Dion Phaneuf clone. He's a minute eating defenseman who can play in all situations and has good athletic attributes, but he's held back by his hockey IQ. If you can put him next to a defenseman that can minimize the impact of his mental gaffes, he'll be a good defenseman for you. That's why I think Johnson-Letang has looked good so far. With Letang playing at a Norris caliber level, Johnson's responsibilities aren't as high on that pair as they are with Maatta .

Wait. So he’s Dion Phaneuf, but he is a really good skater?

Uhhhhhh. Got some bad news for you.

Reactions: KIRK

HornyHags

May 13, 2017
All I know is, most games he hasn't looked great in, and he seems to be on the ice for a lot of goals.

He looked as good as he has all year last game at least. Maybe he was one of the guys that needed to wake up. I'm hoping there's still a lot good in the tank because like it or not we are b***s deep with him

Doogle

Jun 8, 2010
No one is saying that JJ is an elite skater, but he does move well for his size. I think only Letang, Dumo, and Riikola skate better than him as far as current defensemen with the Pens. Ruh is ok I guess but doesn't seem to cover as much ground. And JJ is quicker than Maata and more polished than Oleksiak. He's smoother than Cole was and certainly more mobile than Hainsey. Daley and Hunwick were clearly quicker skaters, although JJ can stay on his feet better than Hunwick ever could. So with all that considered, I think it's safe to say that Jack Johnson is an average skater, no better or worse.

larueskee

Player/Member USA Hockey or affilates 1972-2006
Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
Johnson has always been a liability. Carolina drafted him 3rd overall and they never let him play and Johnson eventually wound up with the Kings for the 06-07 season. During his years in LA he had a massive plus minus of minus of minus 90 in 5 years of work. His time with the Jackets he improved some going minus 19 for parts of 7 years. Johnson is whopping minus 117 during his career. I'm not surprised he is leading the Pens d with a minus 8 at this early part of the year. Now when you trade a player like Cole who has a career plus of plus 82 or so and was a plus leader on the Pens defense and add a minus character like Johnson it effects the teams wins and losses like no other stat. I'm not surprised the Pens are struggling and neither should anyone else as those moves can not be made and expect different results.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad