Jack Hughes vs. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins - career

Who will have the better career?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Quite simply, who will have the better NHL career?

currently Jack Hughes has 10 points in 21 games

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins has averaged about 400 points in 550 career games. Which is about a 60 point pace. In his first NHL season RNH had 52 points in 62 games, much better than Jack’s pace so far.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
RNH's career is fairly poor for a 1st overall so you gotta think that Jack can pull this one out.

Reactions: klozge

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Really bad timing and stat watching, if you watched him play last night you would have not made this poll.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
RNH's career is fairly poor for a 1st overall so you gotta think that Jack can pull this one out.

I see RNH and Hughes in similar situations. Dominant players in juniors who went 1st overall but got drafted by teams that are a complete mess.

RNH is a very underrated player, he was a 70+ point player last season while playing against the top lines of the other teams. He’s much better than Hughes right now and RNH has been better than Hughes at every point in his career.

Right now I have them as having similar careers with a slight edge to RNH because the Oilers have a brighter future than the Devils

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Hughes is a magician with the puck. With a bit more strength and a bit more experience, I think he's going to be a point per game or more player.

Reactions: vtdevils2k

ProspectsSTC

Jul 12, 2014
Quite simply, who will have the better NHL career?

currently Jack Hughes has 10 points in 21 games

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins has averaged about 400 points in 550 career games. Which is about a 60 point pace. In his first NHL season RNH had 52 points in 62 games, much better than Jack’s pace so far.
It isn't really averaging anything when you take the entire sample space lol

But I'll take Hughes, I think he'll put up 90 points a few times

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
I'm gonna bet on Jack Hughes. We already know what RNH is - a pretty good second line center. I'd rather roll the dice on someone who still has the potential to be more.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
RNH is a very underrated player,

False.

he was a 70+ point player last season

False.

while playing against the top lines of the other teams.

False.

At 5 v 5 RNH is pretty much an average second liner. His scoring rates have never been pretty, even when he was with Hall or Ebs. He has 7 5v5 points so far this year, his weakness there has been a big part of why there's so much burden on the Oilers top line, which incidentally draws the attention from the other club and should make it easier for Nuge's line.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
I think Hughes will be an around 70-80 point player for most of his prime so Id take him.

Although if the Oil hadn’t f***ed over Nuge’s development I have no doubt he’d have been the better player.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
False.

False.

False.

At 5 v 5 RNH is pretty much an average second liner. His scoring rates have never been pretty, even when he was with Hall or Ebs. He has 7 5v5 points so far this year, his weakness there has been a big part of why there's so much burden on the Oilers top line, which incidentally draws the attention from the other club and should make it easier for Nuge's line.

Strange.

I'm an Oiler fan, and I voted Hughes. Kinda surprised at anyone voting Nuge in this poll, including Oiler fans.

Nuge is at best, a nice complimentary piece, but Hughes still has potential to be a gamebreaker.

Better comparison for Nuge would be Ryan Johansen.

I think Hughes will be an around 70-80 point player for most of his prime so Id take him.

Although if the Oil hadn’t ****ed over Nuge’s development I have no doubt he’d have been the better player.

Better thing to say would be "If we had played our cards right, maybe we could have traded Nuge for Seth Jones".

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
Hughes. RNH has completely failed to live to the bill of a first overall however he is good enough where he isn't in bust territory. Hughes still can be an elite player.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Hughes wins pretty clearly, but it's not by an astronomical margin. RNH has had a much better career than some think. He's a weak 1OA, but I feel like he's treated as a bust instead of a weak 1OA. He's a very good NHL'er. He shouldn't be viewed as some bust because he's not one of the 10-15 best players in the league. Not all 1OA will be that.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
I'm surprised so few people know the story of Darth Nugueis, but I suppose it's not a story you would hear from a ...uh...hfboard poster.

It's too bad we never got the career we could have from Nuge. He was top 5 in points in the NHL on a very bad team before that shoulder injury changed his career. One of those What Ifs?

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
Not a very big hill to climb. Hughes and I didn’t think twice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad