Jack Hughes vs. Kaapo Kakko part 2

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
It was no statement?
Yes it was. I get it, you're a fellow Finn (of perchance the more "youthful" variety) and a diehard Kappo Kaako fan since last WJC at least, but you should brush up on what constitutes a statement. Silly or not.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
The consensus of the scouts has been proven right more often than wrong when it comes to favouring one player over the other. At this point, Hughes is still their clear majority choice.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
It's a just ridiculous statement. They grew up in an upper-middle class area in the city with a dad who is an AHL assistant coach. Look at the Tkachuk brothers. Or, using my team as an example, Zach Hyman who grew up absolutely loaded but is probably the most blue-collar player on the team. The belief one player has demonstrated himself as a clutch, and that is a sustainable reason for them to be better is a ridiculous premise. It reminds me of Montoya being a "money" goalie over Fleury in 2004 due to a great WJC performance by Montoya and a very weird goal allowed by Fleury.

If anything, the Hughes brothers are a sports eugenics project kind of like Ed McCaffrey’s sons.

Mysteric1000

Feb 13, 2019
So it seems that Jack Hughes is joining to team USA. We might see the great duell afterall in bigger international stage, what was doubtfull before. Finland plays against the US in 13th May.

Excited to see how big the gap actually is. Kakko might have struggled some time now producing against adults recently, whereas Hughes has destroyed juniors. Confidence lvl seems to be the storyline on that one and US probably anyway will get stacked team compared to Finland so whats Hughes's role is question mark just yet.

I think this is what hockey media is expecting from that game aswell if/when both actually are able to make it to the final roster.

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012
That sure makes the tournament more exciting. Finland has a pretty boring team, Kakko, Jokiharju and Kaski are the only interesting players for me. Great chance to see where Hughes is in terms of NHL readiness. He is physically quite weak even against his peers, so this tournament should be a good learning experience for him as in how far his skating and skill can take him, and what kind of adjustments he needs to make to be effective against men.

Reactions: Mysteric1000

Kiekura

Oct 6, 2013
So it seems that Jack Hughes is joining to team USA. We might see the great duell afterall in bigger international stage, what was doubtfull before. Finland plays against the US in 13th May.

Excited to see how big the gap actually is. Kakko might have struggled some time now producing against adults recently, whereas Hughes has destroyed juniors. Confidence lvl seems to be the storyline on that one and US probably anyway will get stacked team compared to Finland so whats Hughes's role is question mark just yet.

I think this is what hockey media is expecting from that game aswell if/when both actually are able to make it to the final roster.

I seriously hope people also remember that Hughes will be playing with NHL players and Kakko is going to play with Liiga players. There is huge cap with their linemates

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Of course. If Hughes has a better performance in this next tournament, it's because he will have better linemates around him. If Kakko had the same talented linemates he would dominate and make Hughes look like a weak average amateur.
What's important is how the players play. Kakko himself could very well benefit from having a greater role.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
I seriously hope people also remember that Hughes will be playing with NHL players and Kakko is going to play with Liiga players. There is huge cap with their linemates
Upfront excuses before the rosters are finalized and any games are played. :thumbu:

If Kakko shines you always knew it.
If not, circumstances.

I really hope team Finland displays a better attitude.

Nate070

Sep 15, 2010
Maldives
Upfront excuses before the rosters are finalized and any games are played. :thumbu:

If not, circumstances.

What has team Finland to do with this constant bickering? They don´t give a shit and you know it

ijuka

May 14, 2016

If not, circumstances.

Well, I'm just hoping that Finland avoids relegation. We have to recognize the realities. Even Germany's team is stronger.

I said that Kakko could benefit from an increased role but if Finland gets embarrassed and whooped in every game, can't say I'd be surprised at all.

tellermine

Oct 21, 2018
Köln, Helsinki, Lappeenranta
According to this forum, Kakkos linemates went from good, or even star, Liiga players, to subbar 3rd division players who could not do anything right when they played with Kakko.

That really is scary for team Finland.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
According to this forum, Kakkos linemates went from good, or even star, Liiga players, to subbar 3rd division players who could not do anything right when they played with Kakko.

That really is scary for team Finland.
Are you interested in strawmen and memes or actual discussions? Or do you think Toni Rajala has been a good player for Team Finland? Do you remember when we criticized Eemeli Suomi for playing terribly with Kakko? He just got sent home, didn't make the team. Isn't that a shocker?

Not sure which star players you're referring to exactly, though.

Reactions: jalperi and CLW

tellermine

Oct 21, 2018
Are you interested in strawmen and memes or actual discussions? Or do you think Toni Rajala has been a good player for Team Finland? Do you remember when we criticized Eemeli Suomi for playing terribly with Kakko? He just got sent home, didn't make the team. Isn't that a shocker?
With you, I am not interested to discuss anything that comes close to Kakko.

It is fine to be a fan, but this Kakko bs has really went over the edge.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
With you, I am not interested to discuss anything that comes close to Kakko.

It is fine to be a fan, but this Kakko bs has really went over the edge.
I'm not surprised that you don't want to discuss anything. You just throw your empty statements and run away when asked to elaborate. Did you actually have anything to say in the first place, I wonder? I wonder if you've even watched the games.

By the way, which statement did I make that went over the edge here? You're the one who kept making overblown / made up statements.

Kiekura

Oct 6, 2013
Of course. If Hughes has a better performance in this next tournament, it's because he will have better linemates around him. If Kakko had the same talented linemates he would dominate and make Hughes look like a weak average amateur.

If not, circumstances.

What excuses? Hughes potential linemates are all NHL players, some are elite stars in NHL and first round draft picks.

Kakkos potential linemates play in Liiga or with good luck KHL where they arent even stars of those leagues. So yes, there is huge cap between their linemates and it does make pretty freaking big difference.

That doesn't mean Kakko can't play good tournament on his own, but I wouldn't really expect that much points from him or compare points between Hughes and Kakko.

Last edited:
Reactions: jalperi

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
What excuses? Hughes potential linemates are all NHL players, some are elite stars in NHL and first round draft picks.

Kakkos ponentil linemates play Liiga or with good luck KHL where they are arent even stars of those leagues. So yes, there is huge cap between their linemates and it does make pretty freaking big difference.

That doesn't mean Kakko can't play good tournament on his own, but I wouldn't really expect that much points from him or compare points between Hughes and Kakko.
I am not your English teacher.

D3vilsH0ck3y

Jun 10, 2013
This thread sucks. For every non devils fan I will say this to hopefully end it. It’s so so so so so close between the two of them.

With that said the devils are taking Hughes without even hesitating.

Now proceed to argue the next 2 months over whether or not they will hesitate!

tellermine

Oct 21, 2018
I'm not surprised that you don't want to discuss anything. You just throw your empty statements and run away when asked to elaborate. Did you actually have anything to say in the first place, I wonder? I wonder if you've even watched the games.

By the way, which statement did I make that went over the edge here? You're the one who kept making overblown / made up statements.
At Kakko tread few times yes. Jack not so mutch as I have seen him less.
Though at Kakko tread you cant post any criticism If you dont want to be assaulted.

Lol. Just read what you people wrote, write at Kakko tread.
Kakko is set on a podium. Flawless player and every team mate is there just for Kakko Sadly for Kakko every teammate is bad player.

That said Kakko is many best forward prospect after Barkov.
Not a GOD.

*to mutch typos

Reactions: jalperi

ChiefWiggum

Dec 17, 2016
Newfoundland
Some were right about Pettersson, others weren’t. Sometimes you’re right, other times you aren’t. But there absolutely were some who had him ranked first. McKenzie and Button don’t monopolize accepted opinions.

If New Jersey or Philadelphia selected Pettersson, they would be compared to the New York Giants for picking Daniel Jones. Pettersson was a frail boy who had some skill, NOBODY knew it would translate to the show this quickly and we still don't know if he will have a sophomore slump.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad