Jack Hughes (NHL) vs Cole Caufield (NCAA) 1st season after getting drafted

Which one had the better 1st season after the draft?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Jack Hughes (so far) 61 games (8th)
7 goals (12th), 14 assists (12th), 21 points (13th), -26 (32nd)
123 shots on goal (7th), 9 power play points (7th), 4 power play goals (4th)
12 even number points (14th), 3 even number goals (16th), 2 game winning goals. (3rd)
15:52 toi/gp (15th)

Cole Caufield 36 games (1st)
19 goals (1st), 17 assists (3rd), 36 points (1st), -3 (13th)
145 shots on goal (1st), 7 power play goals (1st), 2 game winning goals (2nd).
+ 5 games in the WJC-U20, 1 goal, 1 assist, 2 points, -2

Teams:
New Jersey Devils, NHL (28-29-12)
University of Wisconsin, NCAA (14-20-02)

Jack Hughes 1st overall
Cole Caufield 15th overall

GTA

Jul 12, 2012
Toronto
I’d say Jack Hughes stock decreased and Caufield’s stock increased a bit. However, Jack Hughes is still ahead of Caufield. Imagine putting Caufield in the NHL this past season. He would’ve had a way worse year than Hughes.

This. Still take Hughes 10 out of 10. No comparison - but it's no slight to say that Caufield had a solid year and Hughes had a challenging year, though obviously can't directly contrast between leagues.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Caufield had a good college season, Hughes a not so great NHL season.

But it's still more impressive for an 18yo to be playing and contributing, even if only minimally, in the toughest league in the world then it is to have success in the NCAA.

Reactions: vtdevils2k

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I think it’s safe to assume Hughes would have blown Caufield’s point total out of the water had he not made the NHL

Reactions: vtdevils2k

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
The brothers who's favourite team is the Leafs, favourite player is WNylander, who lived with them for a while.
Yeah, one of those brothers.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Hughes should not have been in the NHL and you don't necessarily need hindsight to know that. That said, he handled himself better than I expected in the 1st half of the season, and I saw enough flashes from him that I'm still pretty confident he will be one of the very top few players of his draft, if not the top.

Caufield is not a player I got to see much of this season, save Jrs and a @Draft Dynasty vid or two, but I don't feel his valuation has changed much in my eyes, either. I would have taken him higher than he went on draft day and still would, and I still think he can be one of the best players of his draft. He has a very good chance of being a legit impact offensive player, that much is certain.

There's only one thing I know for sure, though - if Hughes played NCAA, the hype for him now would be absolutely through the roof.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Option 3 - impossible to compare.

Hughes was realllllly bad in the NHL. Caufield has a good NCAA season but it’s hard to compare.

Reminder that Caufield was an absolute ghost at the WJC.

Reactions: Pyrophorus

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Huh? I don't see the comparison in any sense.

Unless your comparison is a highly rated player who doesn't turn into anything. That's a pretty lazy comparison in that case.
no comparison?

college, undersized, overhyped.

you can say you don’t agree, but to say there’s no comparison is laughable.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
no comparison?

college, undersized, overhyped.

you can say you don’t agree, but to say there’s no comparison is laughable.
I didn't say "no comparison."

And your comparison is incredibly weak. Like seriously? College? Overhyped? The only legit argument you have is size, and it's not a good one.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Obviously the only answer is that there's no comparison to be made here.

Caufield had an awesome season in the NCAA and I'm sure Hughes would have had an awesome season in the NCAA if he played there too.

Hughes struggled in the NHL as a rookie and I'm sure Caufield would have struggled in the NHL too.

In the one game that the Flames and Devils played against eachother this year, Hughes looked like the most skilled player on the ice. If that means anything to anyone.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
I didn't say "no comparison."

And your comparison is incredibly weak. Like seriously? College? Overhyped? The only legit argument you have is size, and it's not a good one.
You said you didn't see the comparison in any sense, I showed a number of facets on how they are comparable.

I know Montreal fans need something to be excited over after the utter failure of taking Kotkaniemi over Hughes, but sadly Caufield is not it.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
You said you didn't see the comparison in any sense, I showed a number of facets on how they are comparable.

I know Montreal fans need something to be excited over after the utter failure of taking Kotkaniemi over Hughes, but sadly Caufield is not it.
Those comparisons of yours are not indicative of potential or likelihood of reaching said potential. You listed random similarities. Those have no bearing on how a player develops outside of the one I noted, which is size, but plenty of players with his skill can and do succeed.

I'm a Sharks fan, so I'm not sure why you need to take shots at Montreal fans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad