Player Discussion Jack Eichel Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Matthews is more active in a 200 foot game, edges Jack in shooting, and beats 90% of players in ability to go to the net and finish.

Jack has the super-speed gear, and is a dynamic play-maker.

Superstar centers of 2 rivals, but very dis-similar in why they're superstars. I think overall they're even, but not really comparable because of the style differences.
Not trying to offend, but "Superstar" is a little generous for both.

As for Eichel vs Matthews...

Matthews is NOT the same player after his injuries. He plays afraid. During the regular season, he does have moments of brilliance. And, of course, he has his shot- which is other worldly.

However, during the playoffs, when the hitting starts, he runs and hides - he has 1 goal in the last 9 playoff games.

I think (I haven't seen enough Eichel) Eichel has more heart. Add his talent and leadership and I'd prefer that.

Reactions: k8prisoner

Irving Zisman

Really Bad Grandpa
Nov 5, 2007
'Merica
Matthews is more active in a 200 foot game, edges Jack in shooting, and beats 90% of players in ability to go to the net and finish.

Jack has the super-speed gear, and is a dynamic play-maker.

Superstar centers of 2 rivals, but very dis-similar in why they're superstars. I think overall they're even, but not really comparable because of the style differences.

Good post. They’re definitely completely different players with differing elite strengths.

Homerism and objectivity aside, I also think that Eichel played better overall than Matthews this year. Whether or not that will continue is up for debate, but Eichel had a different gear of intensity that AM hasn’t had for awhile.

I also think Jack drives play better and their 2-way games are closer than they were even a year ago. Time will tell who’s the best American Center when it’s all said and done.

Reactions: ORRFForever

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I still think Matthews is the better player, I don’t think Matthews has played better than Eichel. There’s something amiss in Matthews game that was there his first two seasons. He’s not attacking the puck, nor the net with authority anymore.
Again, I don't see Eichel enough so maybe I am overrating him.

As for your "missing" comment...

Matthews has had shoulder injuries and he now plays scared.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
That could be it.
The shoulder is better. Sadly, he still plays like it's hurt. In Toronto, the worry is that pre injury drive / determination / play is gone for good - especially after his BIG payday.

Anyway, the reason I posted...

When Matthews scored 4 in his first game, Buffalo fans had their collective noses rubbed in it. "We have the next McDavid" could be heard from the North. Rest assured, we don't. Matthews is not even close.

Last edited:
Reactions: oldgoalie

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
Toronto Fan here...

The bloom has come of the Matthews' rose in Toronto. I thought Eichel passed Matthews by. Others are starting to agree.

While the Eichel comparisons to McDavid are painful in hindsight, and has been an anvil around Eichel's neck, at least you have someone who is Captain material and more than just an amazing shot.

Eichel is not perfect, but I would trade him for Matthews.
I would not trade Jack & his contract for Matthews & his, and have been adamant about that since Matthews signed it.

But Auston will be fine. He doesn't drive play, but you have Marner to do that. As imperfect as Jack is, he's the only guy on our team that can create without help, and if we were to switch that out for Matthews, it wouldn't be ideal for either party.

Y'all are fine, and are much closer to where everyone wants to be than we are. Whatever order you end up ranking them in in terms of effectiveness, Marner-JT-Matthews is an incredible group to have. We still need to add about 6 average NHL forwards behind 3 more good ones.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Jack is... the only guy on our team that can create without help...
Matthews canNOT create without help and someone being paid $11.6M/yr should. As a Toronto fan, I would trade Eichel for Matthews.

While Eichel's progression has not skyrocketed, he does get better every year. You could make the case that Matthews has not gotten better.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Matthews canNOT create without help and someone being paid $11.6M/yr should. As a Toronto fan, I would trade Eichel for Matthews.

While Eichel's progression has not skyrocketed, he does get better every year. You could make the case that Matthews has not gotten better.
Easy for me to say from the other side but I agree on all points. That said, I wish Eichel could finish around the net like Mathews. To Jack's credit he has improved there, with a shorter stick helping.

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
Not trying to offend, but "Superstar" is a little generous for both.

As for Eichel vs Matthews...

Matthews is NOT the same player after his injuries. He plays afraid. During the regular season, he does have moments of brilliance. And, of course, he has his shot- which is other worldly.

However, during the playoffs, when the hitting starts, he runs and hides - he has 1 goal in the last 9 playoff games.

I think (I haven't seen enough Eichel) Eichel has more heart. Add his talent and leadership and I'd prefer that.

I’ll take Jack all day ..

Reactions: Rasmi

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Matthews is a smarter player with a knack for finishing

Eichel is a freak of nature whose talent is just a level above

If Eichel gets the right mentor/coaching then he’s unstoppable. But Matthews is better for now til he does

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad