Jack Edwards retiring

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
For all his heel wrestling commentator qualities that some fans disliked he was a real good PBP guy. Sharp-witted, always on top of the play, and called opponent’s goals and big plays with enthusiasm. It’s a shame to see his cognition slide so far over the past couple years, he’s only 67. Then again early onset forms of neurological failure are becoming more prevalent thanks to a whole bunch of industrial and environmental factors…

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
Something about him losing his ability to speak normally. I hope ultimately he’s okay and it’s nothing serious, but on the other hand it’ll be lovely to never have to listen to this blatant homer talking crap about Montreal.

Yeah unfortunately he became very slow, it was like listening to someone on slow mow 0.5 speed

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
He was awesome. Favourite commentator to listen to, we're here to be entertained and he did it for both his team with homerisms and also his knowledge about the other team, always giving them their fair shake and calling their goals with enthusiasm.

• Wow
Reactions: Kimota and BLONG7

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I wasn't a fan at first as he is a homer but over the years I got to like him. I truly wish him well.

Reactions: Kimota

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
Oh damn, that sucks. PBP guys have gotten progressively more vanilla. Very few have any character or charm, even if in Edwards' case he got under my skin. He will be missed. Pierre Houde is perhaps one of the last of the great pbp guys, ma parole!

Reactions: Kimota

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
38de9ea933036b54871fe1fe61cc87c0.gif

Pretty much

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Oh damn, that sucks. PBP guys have gotten progressively more vanilla. Very few have any character or charm, even if in Edwards' case he got under my skin. He will be missed. Pierre Houde is perhaps one of the last of the great pbp guys, ma parole!

There's no doubt Jack was talented. Once upon a time, I recall he did national games for ESPN which did not involve the bruins. Hard to imagine him not calling the bruins, but it's true.

I've compared his delivery and over the top style to the wwe. I thinknl he would have been universally beloved in that wwe commentary role. It doesn't quite translate to professional sports the same way.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
That's a huge blow to our rivalry. Dude was a freaking legend. Even if i hated him for years. I'll always remember the "Get Up!" to Hamerlik. Wish him nothing but the best.

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
It’s hard to beat Derek Sanderson in the homer and saying something ridiculous department, but Edwards came awfully close.

I’ll never forget Sanderson saying “Jay Miller just wants to play hockey” before Miller dropped the gloves and fought Shane Churla.

Hated his commentary but wish him all the best in his retirement. Guy sounded like he had a stroke coming on the end.

Reactions: Skip Bayless

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Edwards' commentary was beyond annoying, it was just plain weird.

He was a Bruins Stan that happened to be a PBP guy. Just complete lack of objectivity, like a 37 year old Taylor Swift fan.

That said, I surely hope he doesn't die before his time.

Reactions: Redux91

Canadiens Ghost

Mr. Objectivity
Dec 14, 2011
Smurfland
I don't wish him ill but good riddance.
It's one thing to be a homer but he was downright unprofessional at times with some of his stupid takes.

_habsfan9

Nov 26, 2005
I liked his unique voice and his "heel" commentator personality. Def didn't like the guy but I have respect for his abilities as an interesting announcer. He is unlike anyone else

Reactions: Hinterland

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
I don't wish the man any ill will due to his health, but there are certain announcers who will cause me to put the TV on mute or put in my earbuds and listen to music while watching. In the NHL, it's Jack Edwards and Mickey Redmond. In the NFL, it's Joe Buck and Tony Romo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad