Jack Edwards announces he will retire after this season

TheUnusedCrayon

Apr 12, 2018
The Don Cherry of commentary.

At least the version of when Don Cherry was too senile to be analyzing anything with any credibility.

Wish him good health, but the guy was like listening to your idiot coworker who pretends they watch hockey and spouts of absolute drivel to make it seem like they are bigger fans than they are. Some horrendously bad takes over the years and I'm glad I won't have to listen to them any longer.

Reactions: Fight4yourRight

TheUnusedCrayon

Apr 12, 2018
Dementia is tough to judge, my grandmother is late stage but her speech was fine, it's still significantly better than his but her mind is absolutely gone.

That said, it is certainly possible.
There's dozens of types of dementia so that doesn't help.

Hopefully they'll be able to find a cure in our lifetime. Shit is horrible to watch somebody go through.

TheUnusedCrayon

Apr 12, 2018

I had no idea his speech was that bad. That's really sad to see. I hate the guy and hated what he did, but in the end he's still a person and it just really saddens me to see him that slowed. It almost reminds me of some of my patients who have had strokes and are months into their recovery. Hopefully they can get his health sorted out.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
It can happen faster for some people, but he's only 66 and he talks like he's 86 now.

67, so pushing 70. Not that old, but still old enough. How many guys that age are doing PBP? Sam Rosen doesnt stutter or have cadence issues like Jack but he reguarlay calls players wrong names and stuff and sometimes has long awkward pauses.

Hopefully it's not a precursor to a major health issue

Reactions: Mike C

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I will not be moved from my position that prior to his illness, Edwards was one of the top PBP guys in the league on a technical level, and happened to have a performative homer streak which made him unpopular outside his home market (which was the only one he cared about).
Can't agree. Always was unlistenable.

Reactions: pvr

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
I will not be moved from my position that prior to his illness, Edwards was one of the top PBP guys in the league on a technical level, and happened to have a performative homer streak which made him unpopular outside his home market (which was the only one he cared about).
Reminds me of growing up listening to Phil Rizzuto doing Yankee games and John Sterling broadcasting the Islanders. Homers to the max but abrasive to everyone else

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
FWIW, for my money, this game was peak Jack Edwards:

This is a great example and is something his haters should probably come to terms with. Playoffs, game 6, against a hated rival, and in the first minute of the video he excitedly calls (and praises the plays) of the opponent twice: Price's save, and Higgins' goal.

Guy just loves the game. It was time, but his peak was long and outstanding.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Like listening to opposition broadcasts just to get a better feel for their players. Except for the Bruins. He is/was insufferable, and a total buffoon. Blatant homerism at it’s extreme worst.

Reactions: td_ice

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
This is a great example and is something his haters should probably come to terms with. Playoffs, game 6, against a hated rival, and in the first minute of the video he excitedly calls (and praises the plays) of the opponent twice: Price's save, and Higgins' goal.

Guy just loves the game. It was time, but his peak was long and outstanding.
The occasional exception doesn’t disprove the reality.

Reactions: Andrei79

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Wish him good health, but the guy was like listening to your idiot coworker who pretends they watch hockey and spouts of absolute drivel to make it seem like they are bigger fans than they are. Some horrendously bad takes over the years and I'm glad I won't have to listen to them any longer.

While really annoying a lot of the time, I did find Edwards seemed well versed on the other teams and did have little tidbits to say about the opponent in a positive manner. My pick for worst announcers is Colorado, they seem to have the issue they don't even mention the other teams players(at least int eh 2 games I saw vs the Islanders) save a select few. And this is while they are calling the play. Heaven forbid they mention something like Dobson is having a career season or Martin and Clutterbuck are tough nosed players who have lead the league in hits over the past decade.

Penguins used to be bad, but they went from probably the most annoying announcer to one of the most boring. I am almost not sure which is worse. lol

Reactions: Viqsi

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
Never had a lot of respect for biased sports commentary, so he wasn't exactly my favorite to listen to.
Wish him the best healthwise, though. To someone who has dementia or any serious illness for that matter I can only react with empathy.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
The Don Cherry of commentary.

At least the version of when Don Cherry was too senile to be analyzing anything with any credibility.

Edwards lacked in technicalities of rules at times but was extremely well researched in all things player/opponent/statistics related. He did extensive research like it or not.

Reactions: Viqsi

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Really cannot deny he's a fantastic broadcaster... if you're a Bruins fan. Otherwise, he's infuriatingly insufferable. :laugh:

Good on him though. He really did not sound well the few times I heard him this season.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
As a Habs fan. No commentator ever pissed me off more than Jack lol

In saying that, he's going to be missed. Never a dull moment when Jack was calling the game.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
The occasional exception doesn’t disprove the reality.

It's not occasional. He gets excited by good hockey plays by either team every single game. You wouldn't know because you don't listen.

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
I remember the first season I heard him after the 05 lockout [MOD] He was off the wall :laugh: Maybe it's because the previous guys (Dale Arnold,Dave Shea, Tom Caron) were boring as hell? I don't know

Last edited by a moderator:

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I remember him more fondly for his days as a broadcaster for the U.S. Men's National Team in soccer, where his homerism was less annoying since it was for a scrappy underdog team all the viewers were presumably rooting for.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Had a great voice for the job but I always felt like he was watching a different game. I just don't like homer broadcasts, even for my team. So yeah, never been a fan of Edwards.

I do hope whatever issue he's dealing with gets sorted out though. Despite my opinions on his style, he was clearly a talented PBP guy and I hate to see that taken away from him because of something outside of his control.

Reactions: geebster and pvr

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
He was a dick, a homer, and pissed you off when you had to listen to him. That means he was doing his job. Too many of these announcers are just plain vanilla and boring.

Hope he gets better.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
When Bob Miller retired for the Kings they had guest announcers come in as a sort of interview. I really hoped we ended up with Edwards. Homer yes but I enjoyed his calls. Hopefully his medical issues clear up and he can enjoy retirement.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
When Bob Miller retired for the Kings they had guest announcers come in as a sort of interview. I really hoped we ended up with Edwards. Homer yes but I enjoyed his calls. Hopefully his medical issues clear up and he can enjoy retirement.
WHICH is why Alex Faust likely is Edwards' replacement @ NESN

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad