Jack Campbell -- Redemption

AnomX

Oct 25, 2013
I'll start by saying I apologize if there is anything on this topic but I always know that Jack had solid numbers throughout his NHL career. Just always got stud behind a stud like Jonathon Quick.

What I didn't know is his abysmal stats in the AHL and even being brought down to the ECHL at times.

Just curious -- what happened. Why the difference in success in the minors and pro's. Better systems? Dumpter fire AHL teams? Mental state?

What was the switch go from being sent down to the ECHL to #Cantstopjack. he is now for us.

upload_2021-5-12_9-36-55.jpeg

upload_2021-5-12_9-37-17.png

vpasla1

Mar 24, 2018
I believe he had said something to do with the LA goalie coach/ Developmental system that helped him turn his game around.

Reactions: Zybalto

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Looks like he struggled for a couple of seasons in the AHL (2014-2016) and dominated the ECHL when demoted and eventually figured it out.

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
Theres a lot of expectations and pressure when your drafted near the top 10 as a goalie to get good quick. Most goalies take time to get to the goalie the end up being and Dallas was not patient or not able to get him to where he needed to be. But he got there eventually with the Kings organization.

Sometimes its also a matter of the team thatss put infront if you aswell.

Reactions: DirkStraun

Chief keefe

Sep 27, 2015
Mississauga
I'll start by saying I apologize if there is anything on this topic but I always know that Jack had solid numbers throughout his NHL career. Just always got stud behind a stud like Jonathon Quick.

What I didn't know is his abysmal stats in the AHL and even being brought down to the ECHL at times.

Just curious -- what happened. Why the difference in success in the minors and pro's. Better systems? Dumpter fire AHL teams? Mental state?

What was the switch go from being sent down to the ECHL to #Cantstopjack. he is now for us.

View attachment 433078
View attachment 433079
when I look at those numbers it seems like he has these crazy stretches of lots of wins. This year seems to be that year! Hopefully he can keep it up!!!1!!

Reactions: AnomX

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
It's tough being a goalie. ECHL shots probably felt like muffins and NHL shots probably seemed like bullets. I can only imagine how hard it would be to adjust. This is why in practice it is important for the players to give him a real test.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
He reportedly took loses hard, so he had some mental issues to overcome (Mirtle has said Keefe in particular has been working with him on this, ie telling him it's okay to shake off a loss ect(.

He also ran into some depth chart issues earlier in his career

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
His pre-draft hype was exceptional and based on exceptional accomplishment. He played behind two established starters, one of which - Kari Lehtonen - I don't think really ever got his due. He was a top tier starter. And then there was Quick.

His mental adjustment aside, the psychology of being truly talented but paused is a lot to ask any person let alone athlete to constantly accept. I think that he's been as universally loved by teammates speaks to a person of profound integrity.

Sample sizes aside, I think it's that sense of being more than being allowed to be produces curious lower league numbers. But you could see the battle in Texas. His claims of disruptive coaching balanced against LA's coaches seems to weight out in subsequent seasons against the up and down numbers in Texas.

I think people who are as amenable as Campbell appears to be, are willing to accommodate even to the point of self-detriment. Maturity and time and the right (patient) environment essentially encouraged Campbell back to the game that made him such a highly touted prospect.

I think I'd liken Campbell's development to that of a magnetic clap. Took a while getting there, but all of a sudden, doesn't look like he's moving anywhere anytime soon.

Reactions: cookie and AnomX

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
He’s been amazing, we wouldn’t be where we are without him. Hopefully he keeps it going in the playoffs

What a great trade Dubas made to bring him in, we also have him locked up cheap for next season

Reactions: socko

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
Not sure what stats people are looking at but Campbell had 1 bad year in the AHL with an .884 sv%. He had 2 average season (average is .905-.910), 2 good seasons (.910-.920) and 1 great year with a .942.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
In terms of playing in lower leagues etc and from personal experience sometimes playing in a weaker division/league can affect a player in a negative way.

I'm talking beer league hockey but sometimes going from a highly competitive division to a much lower one [even as a spare] can screw a guy up because the players aren't as good and don't always play their positions properly and start running around all over the ice. Trying to compensate for this can really put a player in a pickle.

It does happen.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
There's a great article in The Athletic talking about his journey - he talks about the weight of the pressure and expectations placed on him (both externally and self-imposed), and how much it fostered his feelings of inadequacy and self-doubt. It's a great reminder of how much of goaltending is mental - you can have all the technique and skill in the world, but if you lack the mental resolve you're never going to find consistency.

Seems like we're seeing Campbell round into form not only as a goalie, but also as a more confident, self-assured individual.

Reactions: The Cobra

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Dallas did not have an AHL goalie coach.

Yup, you heard that right. the Dallas Stars, who just drafted a goalie 11th overall and a very raw one at that (even for goalie prospect standards), did not have a guy working full time with him in the AHL... and they wonder why things went south. Going to LA and working with Imoo and Ranford full time saved his career.

Reactions: cookie

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017

The disrespect Campbell gets man. Only won 11 games in a row this season and has better numbers than at least half that list. Oh well, he’ll put the league on notice when he outplays the (apparently) 11th best goalie in the playoffs.

That list is beyond insulting, I can barely believe it. He has no playoff pedigree, but come on.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I trust Campbell, he deserves this and its a great story. I dont think Campbell will be a factor in why the Leafs get kicked out of the playoffs. Reilly and Nylander will make major errors that can lose games for the squad.

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga

The disrespect Campbell gets man. Only won 11 games in a row this season and has better numbers than at least half that list. Oh well, he’ll put the league on notice when he outplays the (apparently) 11th best goalie in the playoffs.

Haha! This is hilarious.

I love these media types. They make some dumb (or controversial) list or hot take and then act all shocked when the person they left off the list or dissed does really well.

"wow, I didn't see that coming!", "he really surprised me", "he came out of nowhere!"

Button is the king of this.

AnomX

Oct 25, 2013
Haha! This is hilarious.

I love these media types. They make some dumb (or controversial) list or hot take and then act all shocked when the person they left off the list or dissed does really well.

"wow, I didn't see that coming!", "he really surprised me", "he came out of nowhere!"

Button is the king of this.
It's the same Idea when people work at their craft for years and are finally discovered but are a "overnight success".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad