Jack Campbell or Sergei Bobrovsky?

Hutzler

Aug 12, 2011
Vancouver
Agreed, Jack Campbell is a born winner and is going to be something special.

I agree that he will be, but when is the question?

I figure he is still at least 3 years away before becoming a starter. Bobrovsky could possibily find himself a starting job this year.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I agree that he will be, but when is the question?

I figure he is still at least 3 years away before becoming a starter. Bobrovsky could possibily find himself a starting job this year.

tell that to Cory Schneider who is clearly a better goalie then Bob, yet still rides the pine. it wont be easy for Bob to get a starting gig in the NHL, especially when teams seem more confident in overage rehash goalies instead of giving the younger ones that shot.

I know Schneider is behind Luongo, but you would think by now a team would make one hell of an offer to pry him away to be their number one goalie by now.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Jack Campbell has the higher ceiling IMO. Bobrovski did not transition well to the lengthy NHL season but for his age and first season of NA rink size he did very well. I think his playoff performance is forgivable and not a telling of his future potential, he was really thrown into the fire based on the situation. Jack is the safer pick so I would go with him but Bob certainly has the potential to be the winner here, time will tell.

Its going to be tough for Bob to get starts in Philly. Its unlikely the management would make Bryz a 1a or 1b given his contract and what the team went through to get him. Most teams will not put a goalie on the bench after going through all that even if the backup is clearly outplaying them.

Hutzler

Aug 12, 2011
Vancouver
Jack Campbell has the higher ceiling IMO. Bobrovski did not transition well to the lengthy NHL season but for his age and first season of NA rink size he did very well. I think his playoff performance is forgivable and not a telling of his future potential, he was really thrown into the fire based on the situation. Jack is the safer pick so I would go with him but Bob certainly has the potential to be the winner here, time will tell.

Its going to be tough for Bob to get starts in Philly. Its unlikely the management would make Bryz a 1a or 1b given his contract and what the team went through to get him. Most teams will not put a goalie on the bench after going through all that even if the backup is clearly outplaying them.

While all this is true...does Philly really want to be paying a goalie 1.75 mil or whatever it is, to ride the bench. It would be smart to either trade Bob away or keep Bryz fresh and hand Bob 25-30 starts.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Tough call but I go with Campbell. Mostly because of future positions in the franchise. Bob is blocked by Bryz.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Bob is blocked by Bryzgalov so the choice is pretty simple.

Campbell has little competition in Dallas...

Hutzler

Aug 12, 2011
Vancouver

I would hardly call Kari Lehtonen little competition. Lehtonen had an outstanding season last year and is only 27 years old. His contract is a healthy one and is extended for the next 2 seasons. If he has another 2 solid years in Dallas they could easily re-sign him, he would only be 29 years old.

Campbell's numbers were pretty awful last year in Windsor...

I don't even think Campbell will be the back up this year in Dallas will he? I assume he will be playing in the AHL.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
He'll be back in Windsor, unless he gets traded to another OHL franchise.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009

what?

Kari, Bachman and Besko. Our strongest point in our franchise is our goalies, we have great goalie prospects and anyone of the 5 goalies we got could be our starter in 3 years and future. Campbell is the goalie that everyone expects to be our future, but it won't be as easy as people think for JC.

Jack Bourdain

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 25, 2008
what?

Kari, Bachman and Besko. Our strongest point in our franchise is our goalies, we have great goalie prospects and anyone of the 5 goalies we got could be our starter in 3 years and future. Campbell is the goalie that everyone expects to be our future, but it won't be as easy as people think for JC.

Yes it will. By making him the 11th overall pick, the Stars management made him the goalie of the future, and will give him every chance and opportunity he needs to succeed. His only real competition is Lehtonen, and even then, Kari can be starter for another 4-5 years, giving Campbell 1 year of Juniors, 2 in AHL, 1-2 as back-up and then ready for the starting role, if his progression allows it.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Would it be safe to say Campbell is probably 2-3 years away from NHL?

I think the Bobrovski Bryz situation would pan out in 2-3 seasons Probably by Bob getting moved.

I don't think the Bryz situation really impacts the decision too much becuase both goalies have the same timeline for their opportunity to take a #1 or 1A job. Bryz is actually closer of the two since he is already there but the Bryz signing obviously pushes him way back unless there is the trade people think will happen.

Last edited:

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
Yes it will. By making him the 11th overall pick, the Stars management made him the goalie of the future, and will give him every chance and opportunity he needs to succeed. His only real competition is Lehtonen, and even then, Kari can be starter for another 4-5 years, giving Campbell 1 year of Juniors, 2 in AHL, 1-2 as back-up and then ready for the starting role, if his progression allows it.

Yes, but Besko and Bachs won't go away easy. They have been very good for the franchise so far. Bachman was in top 5 in the AHL in wins, minutes played, save percentage, goals against average and shutouts. He also had success in the ECHL. Same goes for Besko, he was put up great numbers in the ECHL before going to the AHL for 18 games where he also put up solid numbers. Like I said, Stars and fans will give him every chance to become our future but it won't be easy. Both prospects will put up a fight.

2011-2012 - Kari/Raycroft
2012-2013 - Kari/Bachman (unless Bachs has bad season this year)
2013-2014 - Kari/Bachman/Besko (depends on how the backup did in the 2012-2013 season) Will also probably see one of the two Besko/Bachman leave the Stars franchise by trade or let go)
2014-2015 - ????

- Don't know if Kari will still be with us, maybe he got out played by either Bachs/Besko and was let go or traded

- Whoever was the backup, if they didn't outplay Kari he is either let go/traded or put back in the minors to make way for JC

- Jack Campbell will be the back up for whoever earned the starting role.

That's just my opinion if all goes well (without any injuries or unexpected trades regarding any of our goalies)

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
His only competition is lehtonen and i hardly think that Niewendyk beleivs that he is the future...

Plus with Lehtonen being quite injury prone, Campbell will surely get his chance in a couple of years.

I would assume that he is going back to windsor this year for more development...

MetalGodAOD*

Campbell is at least 4 years off. He's our long term future but don't be surprised if Bachman or Besko put a kink in that plan. We have an amazing wealth of Goalie depth in Dallas atm.

His only competition is lehtonen and i hardly think that Niewendyk beleivs that he is the future...

Plus with Lehtonen being quite injury prone, Campbell will surely get his chance in a couple of years.

I would assume that he is going back to windsor this year for more development...

If Lehtonen goes down it'll be Bachman stepping up, Besko following him (2 years or so down the road). IMO Campbell won't get a shot at the NHL starter gig until after Lehtonen's contract ends. Whether we re-sign him in 2 years or not depends on how Bachman and Besko develop.

DropIt

Oct 21, 2009
Red Deer, AB
I would hardly call Kari Lehtonen little competition. Lehtonen had an outstanding season last year and is only 27 years old. His contract is a healthy one and is extended for the next 2 seasons. If he has another 2 solid years in Dallas they could easily re-sign him, he would only be 29 years old.

Campbell's numbers were pretty awful last year in Windsor...

I don't even think Campbell will be the back up this year in Dallas will he? I assume he will be playing in the AHL.

Im not sure what you are realistically asking for here. You said in a KEEPER pool, yet you are bringing up making an impact in 2011-'12 as a pretty big factor in your decision making.

If you want an impact from a one of the goalies for the upcoming season, then take Bobrovsky, because he will be playing in the NHL this year, and Campbell will not. If you are indeed asking for keeper/long term goalie, then its Campbell as he is far superior to Bobrovsky in the long term.

Yes, Campbell did have a shaky year in Windsor last season, but numbers dont tell the whole story. He had a much depleated defesnive core in front of him and a average-at-best team this year, especially in the defensive zone. CHL seasons are not a great measuring bar for goaltenders, especially when they are not on championship calibre teams.

Also, having a down season after you get drafted is an odd trend among goalies, but it is one. See Carey Price

Oroku Saki*

I'm still surprised they took Campbell while Fowler was on the board and was a glaring need at the time. Don't get me wrong, I am a huge Campbell fan but that did surprise me quite a bit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad