Jack Campbell closer to return with Stars

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Terrible pick, really thought he'd pan out too.

I, like most of us here, wanted Fowler with a passion when our pick came up that year. We could have had Fowler in our top-4 for years already. I think Alex Goligoski would have been expendable long ago. Big mistake. This shows how much draft picks matter.

Hopefully we don't look back on the Guryanov pick in the same way 4 or 5 years from now. Don't look now but Barzal is putting up 2 pts/game in the WHL and Konecny is putting up close to that as well. Those were the guys that I wanted this past year.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
The problem is guys don't get more skilled at this age. Players learn how to better use their skill, but no one develops a good wrist shot in the NHL, to pick an example. They either have it or they don't.

91Hickey14

Oct 5, 2015
Dallas, Texas
The problem is guys don't get more skilled at this age. Players learn how to better use their skill, but no one develops a good wrist shot in the NHL, to pick an example. They either have it or they don't.

It really is suck a ****ing shame, the worst part of it is that the style of the league right now lefts players get away with it

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003

He has no finish. I was sweating bullets when he was awarded a penalty shot yesterday, because I have no faith in his ability to actually find the twine. Sure enough he sends it 2 feet wide from about 2 feet out. He looks fantastic up until it's time to cash in on the offensive rush. We'd have been better off with a 2 minute powerplay...even when our PP is not hitting on all cylinders.

He kind of reminds me of Erik Cole, but with a worse shot.

Or Oleksiak or Nichushkin...

Oleksiak, is more understandable. There were no fallers that year. He was not a reach like Campbell was.

Val...I can't speak to because I wasn't following the Stars that year, but I'd have probably been OK with that pick given where he was ranked.

Guryanov was more like Campbell in that he was a guy who most of us think could have been had later in the 1st or in the 2nd...Barzal was the Fowler this year. I have no idea why he slid so far, unless it was for character reasons. Barzal is having a breakout season so far with 20 points through the 1st 10 games. My money is on him playing for the Isles next season...maybe gets a few games after the Junior season is over or in the playoffs. Guryanov is still a big wildcard and it's way too early to tell, but it just kills me to see us go against the grain and pick a Russian. I'd hate to see us in a situation where we are stuck in signing him to a one-way contract and rushing his development like what happened with Val. Good thing is it sounds like his shot is WAY better than Val's.

I just think that unless you feel that Guryanov is heads above a guy like Barzal, or unless Barzal is a headcase, locker room cancer-type...you take the blue-chip Canadian Center from a risk-management perspective. Less possible negative outcomes, less complicated.

Last edited:

Benneguin

Original Recipe
May 26, 2015
I, like most of us here, wanted Fowler with a passion when our pick came up that year. We could have had Fowler in our top-4 for years already. I think Alex Goligoski would have been expendable long ago. Big mistake. This shows how much draft picks matter.

Hopefully we don't look back on the Guryanov pick in the same way 4 or 5 years from now. Don't look now but Barzal is putting up 2 pts/game in the WHL and Konecny is putting up close to that as well. Those were the guys that I wanted this past year.

Yeah, my picks over the years would have included Fowler, Taresenko, Fabbri, Nichushkin, Konecny. I think the fans should make the first round dpicks and let Nill pick the rest. :sarcasm:

phil7488

We're back
Mar 3, 2011
DFW
Looking back at the Campbell draft pick makes me squirm. We absolutely should have taken Fowler and it's not even in hindsight. It was the right pick then and it is still the right pick now. GM Joe botched that one bad.

It's no secret that most of our 1st round picks from the last 6-7 years have been huge busts. I hope Nichu is the exception to that and that Faksa and Oleksiak can get better but I'll believe it when I see it.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Looking back at the Campbell draft pick makes me squirm. We absolutely should have taken Fowler and it's not even in hindsight. It was the right pick then and it is still the right pick now. GM Joe botched that one bad.

It's no secret that most of our 1st round picks from the last 6-7 years have been huge busts. I hope Nichu is the exception to that and that Faksa and Oleksiak can get better but I'll believe it when I see it.

Faksa is a tough one. I wouldn't lump him in with Glennie, Oleksiak, or Campbell, but he probably won't justify his draft position. I've let go of it and I am really enjoying his play.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I think he'll be good but I think Lindell will be better and I have a feeling one will be traded.

Doubt it. If they all pan out:

Lindell - Klingberg
Nemeth - Honka
Jokipakka - Johns

I have no idea what this all has to do with Campbell. :laugh:

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
I think it's looking like Nemeth doesn't have much of a future with this team. He was passed by Jokipakka and could soon be passed on the depth chart by one or both of Lindell and/or Johns.

Honka is currently 3rd on Texas' defensive depth chart, so I don't think it's likely that he makes the team out of training camp in 2016. Just too many players, not enough spots. I favour the patient approach to prospect management so I think that's the best move anyways. Keep him in the AHL, let him develop properly, and be rewarded in 2017.

Ssudzzy

Jun 10, 2014
Ryan Miller did not establish himself as a starting goalie in the NHL until 6 years after he was drafted. Not ready to give up on Campbell yet.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Ryan Miller did not establish himself as a starting goalie in the NHL until 6 years after he was drafted. Not ready to give up on Campbell yet.

Ryan Miller was also a fifth round draft pick. Bit of a different set of expectations.

Ssudzzy

Jun 10, 2014
Ryan Miller was also a fifth round draft pick. Bit of a different set of expectations.

And Fleury was a #1 pick and he took 3 years. Goalies just take longer sometimes. Campbell also has been hampered by injuries as Lehtonen was early in his career too.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
And Fleury was a #1 pick and he took 3 years. Goalies just take longer sometimes. Campbell also has been hampered by injuries as Lehtonen was early in his career too.

Campbell is working on his fifth year and has yet to secure an AHL job, much less an NHL job. He's done nothing comparable to either of those goalies, and you'd be very hard pressed to find a goalie with a similar timeline to his that went on to have a successful NHL career, much less the elite one that he'll need to make amends for that pick.

He'a got until the end of the season to show something to management, and if he doesn't, he's gone.

Ssudzzy

Jun 10, 2014
Campbell is working on his fifth year and has yet to secure an AHL job, much less an NHL job. He's done nothing comparable to either of those goalies, and you'd be very hard pressed to find a goalie with a similar timeline to his that went on to have a successful NHL career, much less the elite one that he'll need to make amends for that pick.

He'a got until the end of the season to show something to management, and if he doesn't, he's gone.

Corey Crawford

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad