Player Discussion J.T. Miller

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarbaraAlphanse

Staal and Boyle escape scrutiny?

What board are you reading, Babra?

The one where I constantly see "Boyle hasn't been THAT bad.... Mmmmm no, you're wrong, he has been good for us"

Or

"Do you really believe 2 months is really a good indication of how Staal will play"

I see a kid who is figuring it out. I'm not disappointed with his progress. He makes an impact offensively pretty much any time he has the puck. Has limited his defensive brain farts that largely stem from cockiness. The only thing I'd like to see is that offensive impact start manifesting itself onto the scoresheet more.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
JT is fine and could absolutely improve. But the team is in win-now mode until Hank isn't a top goalie anymore. If you can move JT+ for an older but established top 6 winger I think you have to do it.

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
He's playing about on par with what you would expect from a 22-year old 15th overall pick. That said, I wish once, just once one of these guys turned into a game breaker. We haven't developed any star forwards for god knows how long know. It has held us back big time

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
The key for Miller is consistency...which is pretty much the key for 90 percent of this team right now.

Production wise, he's where I'd expect him to be. When he's playing with a snarl and doing little things that don't always show up on the score sheet, he's the player the Rangers know he can be.

In a lot of ways, Miller's not all that different than a guy like Dubinsky - minus the (one time) expectation of 30 goals and 70 points.

Leetch66

Jan 8, 2007
PEI Canada
I honestly think I would retain Miller over Hayes the way things are shaping up if a team was wanting one or the other in a trade . The kid has some skill , albeit not perfect ,and is willing to get dirty to make a play .

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
I honestly think I would retain Miller over Hayes the way things are shaping up if a team was wanting one or the other in a trade . The kid has some skill , albeit not perfect ,and is willing to get dirty to make a play .

AV continues to bounce Miller around on lines, although he's been consistently good lately. AV has also shown alot of impatience with Miller in the past, with Miller frequently finding himself in the doghouse. Wouldn't surprise me if Miller was offered up by the Rangers at the deadline (because of AV).

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
AV continues to bounce Miller around on lines, although he's been consistently good lately. AV has also shown alot of impatience with Miller in the past, with Miller frequently finding himself in the doghouse. Wouldn't surprise me if Miller was offered up by the Rangers at the deadline (because of AV).

I'm sure if the right deal came along, Miller could be traded--but while he can be inconsistant, he does play hard more often than not (paging Kevin Hayes) with a fair amount of snarl. His stats are nearly the same as Hayes (same number of points, almost equal ice time etc--although Hayes has more shots) and while he may not have the potential that Hayes has, there is the possibililty that Miller comes closer to realizing his potential, while Hayes--who's been mailing it in effort wise on the ice way too much this season--doesn't. He brings something to the game that the Rangers need.

Mr Clutch

Jan 21, 2014
Virginia
I hate the thought of trading him. He is playing his best hockey at this level. Come playoff time, he may even be playing better. I can understand wanting to shake up the team but dont trade our youngest player who is outplaying most of the others. Also a side note, miller can player any forward position on this team and on every line. And is very good at faceoffs. Hes a guy we need when the postseason starts

JC704

Jan 6, 2012
I think Miller is making Hayes "expendable."

Now, that doesn't mean they're going to TRADE Hayes. But, I think now that Miller has finally seen his game come to him lately, in addition to his versatility at C (he's OKAY at it but is good at FOs) and a W (MUCH better there), he's more of a natural fit on this team long term. Assuming Lindberg slowly develops and grows more comfortable as a 3C, Hayes either finds himself priced out, or in a pickle maybe playing a position he's not accustomed to.

Miller is a vital part of this team moving forward. The Rangers currently have five top six forwards: Brassard, Nash, Zucc, Stepan and Kreider (despite his struggles, he still has a boatload of potential and his game is custom made for the postseason). Miller is the F the Rangers are missing to complete that rotation up top. With the emergence of Lindberg, improved play of Etem and the potential that Hayes brings, I think a change is coming soon.

I think Miller will be moved up, Etem will bounce around between the 3rd/4th lines seeing what fits best and Fast will ultimately be moved down. He has earned more minutes. The beauty of this is that if Kreider-Brassard-Zucc continue to gel with more ice time together, Miller fits in rather nicely on a line with Nash and Stepan.

The Undertaker

Jun 22, 2012
Miller should be given another shot in the top 6. He's been doing great. Same with Etem, would be nice to see him on a line other than the 4th.

Nash-Brassard-Zuke
Kreider-Stepan-Miller
Lindberg-Hayes-Etem
Stalberg/Glass-Moore-Fast

Would like to see these for a few games.

Last edited:

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
I think Miller is making Hayes "expendable."

Now, that doesn't mean they're going to TRADE Hayes. But, I think now that Miller has finally seen his game come to him lately, in addition to his versatility at C (he's OKAY at it but is good at FOs) and a W (MUCH better there), he's more of a natural fit on this team long term. Assuming Lindberg slowly develops and grows more comfortable as a 3C, Hayes either finds himself priced out, or in a pickle maybe playing a position he's not accustomed to.

Miller is a vital part of this team moving forward. The Rangers currently have five top six forwards: Brassard, Nash, Zucc, Stepan and Kreider (despite his struggles, he still has a boatload of potential and his game is custom made for the postseason). Miller is the F the Rangers are missing to complete that rotation up top. With the emergence of Lindberg, improved play of Etem and the potential that Hayes brings, I think a change is coming soon.

I think Miller will be moved up, Etem will bounce around between the 3rd/4th lines seeing what fits best and Fast will ultimately be moved down. He has earned more minutes. The beauty of this is that if Kreider-Brassard-Zucc continue to gel with more ice time together, Miller fits in rather nicely on a line with Nash and Stepan.

Just because Miller is in a bit of a hot streak (which I've seen him go through before, only to disappear again), definitely does not all of a sudden make Hayes expendable.

When it's all said and done Hayes will still be the better player. Hayes is going through growing pains in his 2nd NHL season just like Miller has been through.

On a team where our average age has steadily been getting older and older, neither are expendable.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Kid is putting a nice string together that's for sure.

He definitely brings noticeable effort, which has been welcome the past few weeks.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
If Miller and Hayes can get it together and have great games for the rest of the season, it would make a lot of issues disappear, IMO. We'd have more stability in the top-6, and a bit more stability in the bottom-6, even with the perpetual revolving door of the 13th forward, whoever that may be from game to game.

Miller has been doing well recently. I'd like to stick him in the top-6 soon. Not Fast.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Just because Miller is in a bit of a hot streak (which I've seen him go through before, only to disappear again), definitely does not all of a sudden make Hayes expendable.

When it's all said and done Hayes will still be the better player. Hayes is going through growing pains in his 2nd NHL season just like Miller has been through.

On a team where our average age has steadily been getting older and older, neither are expendable.

So much this. We've seen Miller put together streaks before. The talent has always been there, but the consistency is what needs to be shown.

Mordeth

Sep 18, 2015
Miller has played alot better recently. Like he has some fire under his skates. Its very good to see. I hope he can keep it up, because we need it.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Who would be the consistent player they traded him for? Like does he not go through good and bad play stretches, or point spurts than not much too?

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
JT is fine and could absolutely improve. But the team is in win-now mode until Hank isn't a top goalie anymore. If you can move JT+ for an older but established top 6 winger I think you have to do it.

I guess this could make sense. But I'm tired of these trades. Miller has something on the ball - he's not a bust.

Rangers' management has made too many mistakes to be in a position to "win now" with one older player.

It doesn't make sense trade away our youth (to "win now for Hank") on one hand while signing anchors like Girardi and letting people like Stralman walk on the other. It's like one guy bailing out the boat while the other pours more water in.

Mr Clutch

Jan 21, 2014
Virginia
Miller can help this team win now. Thats why trading him would be a mistake. Id definitely be in favor of acquiring a top 9 or top 6 forward but we should look at moving someone else.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Never been clear what kind of player Miller is to me. I know we all like to say he needs to show consistency, but I don't expect that's easy to develop when you have two new line mates every night. Put him with Nash an Stepan or zucc and brassard and leave him be for a few weeks, let him work through the lumps. That's how you develop consistency.

JC704

Jan 6, 2012

Hayes obviously won't be moved, but if and when this team runs into Cap decisions again, I think it's entirely possible Miller could be higher in the pecking order than Hayes. Just an observation, and I love both to death.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Why do I always hear player x is playing well which makes player y expendable.

Why can we keep both?

Because people have an obsession with the word "redundancy" as if having two similar players that are both good players is a bad thing. If you have two guys like Tanner Glass that is bad redundancy. If you have two guys like Derek Stepan that is an advantage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Melbourne Demons @ West Coast Eagles
    Melbourne Demons @ West Coast Eagles
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,700.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Austria vs Norway
    Austria vs Norway