Proposal: J. Johnson for Plekanec

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Just a note, I believe Toronto is at the 50 player contract limit... so someone has to move too... Marincin?

You can always add an expiring contract that has no value.

Marincin.

Or even further down the depth chart, a Colin Greening or Ben Smith.

Guys who are just taking up space on the 50 man limit but have no use to the NHL club.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
I doubt GMs think like that. You can flip picks just as much you want but it's a bit questionable to trade for a player using those kinda intentions. When is the last time someone traded for a player just to get a better return for him the next day?

Olli Jokinen as part of the Leafs/Preds trade with Franson/Santorelli to Nashville.

Leafs got him as part of the package and then moved him again a couple days later.

Boston getting Martin Jones in the Lucic deal and moving him for a 1st rounder pretty quickly thereafter.

There are others.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
You can always add an expiring contract that has no value.

Marincin.

Or even further down the depth chart, a Colin Greening or Ben Smith.

Guys who are just taking up space on the 50 man limit but have no use to the NHL club.
they all provide veteran experience to the marlies. however i would trade them in order to get jj

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
they all provide veteran experience to the marlies. however i would trade them in order to get jj

Sure, there is no rush to move them... but if you need to make a space under the 50 contract limit, they are expendable.

There are other options too. Justin Holl, Kasperi Kasikuo, Kerby Rychel,

whoever the Leafs deem most expendable and least valuable... you just move him to get under 50.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Sure, there is no rush to move them... but if you need to make a space under the 50 contract limit, they are expendable.

There are other options too. Justin Holl, Kasperi Kasikuo, Kerby Rychel,

whoever the Leafs deem most expendable and least valuable... you just move him to get under 50.
the guys you mentioned aren't expendable at all, but i get you idea.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
The original suggestion makes no sense for Montreal, even though JJ is likely worth more than Plek.

I could see CBJ moving JJ for various other assets on another team, and then trading a pick (say a 2nd rounder) for Plek as a pure rental, or a larger deal around Pacioretty instead, but JJ to Montreal makes no sense. A 3d team has to be involved in some way.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Plekanec is garbage.... Jack Johnson still has value. This doesnt work at all.
That's silly. Plek is a fine 3d line center who can play in any and all game situations. He's the kind of guy teams want to add for the playoffs. Guys like him have gotten nice returns over the years at the trade deadline.

QcFlames12

Feb 1, 2012
That's silly. Plek is a fine 3d line center who can play in any and all game situations. He's the kind of guy teams want to add for the playoffs. Guys like him have gotten nice returns over the years at the trade deadline.
Hes gotten downright horrible in his own zone during the years. Guy is just no longer a good hockey player. His salary is also a problem when considering a trade. Live in Quebec and catch a ton of Montreal games and all my friends are fans of the team. They all say he is garbage and i agree.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I disagree, his offense has dried up but he's still good in all game situations. I see 70+ games a year and he's still fine out there. Guys like him, Vermette, Pominville often get surprising returns at the deadline. He might even get a conditional late first.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
the guys you mentioned aren't expendable at all, but i get you idea.

The Leafs 5th string goalie, a 25 year old defenceman (26 this month) with 0 NHL games, and a forward who cleared waivers aren't expendable?

ok then.

Lets be honest, Kasikou was an undrafted free agent, worth a gamble, but its not working. Holl is a former 2nd rounder who is pretty much a career AHLer, and Kerby Rychel has no spot on the leafs depth chart and no one else wanted him on waivers.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
The Leafs 5th string goalie, a 25 year old defenceman (26 this month) with 0 NHL games, and a forward who cleared waivers aren't expendable?

ok then.

Lets be honest, Kasikou was an undrafted free agent, worth a gamble, but its not working. Holl is a former 2nd rounder who is pretty much a career AHLer, and Kerby Rychel has no spot on the leafs depth chart and no one else wanted him on waivers.
Kaskisuo is a pretty good goalie, regardless of whatever string he may Be on Toronto. Holl was a supposed call up on the Toronto board because he was playing well in the marlies and rychel has been decent in the ahl. There are definitively more players who are expendable.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Holl is behind Rosen, Borgman, Dermott, Liljegren, Carrick, Polak, Marcinin, Nielsen, Valiev, etc... Come on now. If that's not expendable, I don't know what is.

Keep in mind that I'm looking at guys whose contracts expire this summer.

At a certain point the 50 contract limit comes into play and you can't keep hoarding guys... thats why a guy who is about to turn 26 years old with 0 NHL games is not going to be the deal breaker if you improve the NHL team.

bellringer77

Nov 14, 2017
He was never gonna be worth 4.6M/5 years and I'm scared he gets injured again and becomes even worse. The guy can't even open pickle jars anymore.

I'd be fine with him at around 3M/2-3 years.

dang. I knew the contract was going to not look good but I'd thought he would hold steady

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
dang. I knew the contract was going to not look good but I'd thought he would hold steady
There is debate within Habs fans as to whether or not he should be bought out. Even those against it aren't really defending his play.

Reactions: Max Simon

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
Hes gotten downright horrible in his own zone during the years. Guy is just no longer a good hockey player. His salary is also a problem when considering a trade. Live in Quebec and catch a ton of Montreal games and all my friends are fans of the team. They all say he is garbage and i agree.
Fans were also calling Subban a "locker room cancer" and are calling Price "average". So I'd put little value on what rabid Habs' fans say.

Also, if you catch a ton of games you'd know the whole team sucks horribly this year and Plekanec was never an offensive dynamo, he's a shutdown center. He won't get you a ton of points but he's the guy that stops the other team from getting a ton of points against you. He's still good at that but we're starved for offense so fans blame everyone and their mother on this team for the management's stupidity.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Two things. One despite the other night, he's still averaging 19 minutes a night in Columbus. D who play 19 minutes a night are valuable, and are players that teams want come playoff time - especially bigger guys who can skate and move the puck. Two, why does Montreal if they're selling want JJ, who's a UFA who will be signing with the highest bidder in July.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
JJ wouldn't make sense to MTL unless it's part of a bigger deal. You arent trading a 2nd+ for him and you only have 1 player you would trade that makes sense to is in Galchenyuk. Patches isn't coming here with Torts and you aren't trading Drouin. Makes 0 sense.

QcFlames12

Feb 1, 2012
Fans were also calling Subban a "locker room cancer" and are calling Price "average". So I'd put little value on what rabid Habs' fans say.

Also, if you catch a ton of games you'd know the whole team sucks horribly this year and Plekanec was never an offensive dynamo, he's a shutdown center. He won't get you a ton of points but he's the guy that stops the other team from getting a ton of points against you. He's still good at that but we're starved for offense so fans blame everyone and their mother on this team for the management's stupidity.
I know also this

Never said he was an offensive dynamo, and never considered him to be. I know how he plays and who he is and thats why i principal pointed towards his defensive game.

Also i dont how who your listening to but people around here still consider Price a god. Trading scenerios on radio stations pointing towards all star young center as the percieved value if ever to trade which is ludacris.

Plekky is finished, he once was a great two way player but father time has caught up, hes basically on a Troy Brouwer or Matt Stajan level of NHLer.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
CBJ has been rumored to be looking for a center for a while. Both are UFAs so its similar risk. I could see Jarmo liking Plekanec.... not sure if the fit makes any sense at all for Habs.

Jack Johnson to the Montreal Canadiens

Tomas Plekanec to the Columbus Blue Jackets
Doubt Habs do that....they get more mileage out of first pick. Plekanec will return a lot. Here is a quote from Brian Wilde Twitter
Brian Wilde‏ @BWildeRecrutes 7h7 hours ago
More
If Plekanec is dealt, he’s gonna fetch a very good return. Two best lines in hockey, Stamkos and Bergeron, and Plekanec Gallagher and Byron got the tough match up and handled them. Teams want that bad in a series - shutdown the other team’s best.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Olli Jokinen as part of the Leafs/Preds trade with Franson/Santorelli to Nashville.

Leafs got him as part of the package and then moved him again a couple days later.

Boston getting Martin Jones in the Lucic deal and moving him for a 1st rounder pretty quickly thereafter.

There are others.

You're correct about that, although that's always just one part of a package that was moved, not a player acquired in a 1-for-1 trade. But this proposal suggests that we acquire JJ for Plekanec with no further intention. It just doesn't make sense and I think there are teams that would want JJ more than we do and a ready to give more than what Plekanec is worth. So all in all, to me this looks like a lose-lose-lose trade (Jackets lose in value, the Habs will lose JJ before he would make any impact, JJ loses an opportunity to truly show he's worth good money as he would be going to a team that's not competing). The only way I can see it working for everyone is if the Jackets trade JJ to another team, get something out of that trade and use it to acquire Plekanec if they need him.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Doubt Habs do that....they get more mileage out of first pick. Plekanec will return a lot. Here is a quote from Brian Wilde Twitter
Brian Wilde‏ @BWildeRecrutes 7h7 hours ago
More
If Plekanec is dealt, he’s gonna fetch a very good return. Two best lines in hockey, Stamkos and Bergeron, and Plekanec Gallagher and Byron got the tough match up and handled them. Teams want that bad in a series - shutdown the other team’s best.
Plekanec isn't getting a 1st unless some team has 4 1sts and the owners daughter has a crush on him. He's not worth that much. A team that's really desperate for a defensive minded C might give up a late 2nd and a prospect that would never make their team. That doesn't mean a bad prospect either just probably a former late 1st that's like 22 and hasn't proven himself yet. Like a Rychel.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Plekanec isn't getting a 1st unless some team has 4 1sts and the owners daughter has a crush on him. He's not worth that much. A team that's really desperate for a defensive minded C might give up a late 2nd and a prospect that would never make their team. That doesn't mean a bad prospect either just probably a former late 1st that's like 22 and hasn't proven himself yet. Like a Rychel.

A 2nd + Rychel is not a bad return at all. I'd hate to see a guy who's spent 15+ years with the Habs organization getting traded to the Leafs though.

Reactions: mikeyp24

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad