News Article: IZOD Center/CAA Expected To Shut Down

Desert Devil

Legend
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Always had an amazing time when I went to CAA for games but that was probably more due to the team being awesome. I'll never forget game 4 of the 2001 Stanley Cup Finals, or the home opener against the Penguins immediately following the lockout. Also was pretty neat being able to play there for high school hockey.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Rember the original boardwalk cow tunnel?

It would catch fire at times and it wasn't a stretch to think if a board snapped you were falling onto Rt 120.

I don't recall when it was finally re-done with concrete.

They also eventually start offering shuttle busses to the arena from the stadium lot.
Just "loved it" when a driver started a let's go rangers chant on route over in the 2006 playoffs.
Too bad I didn't get his bus postgame. The mad dog hat trick night.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
That tunnel was one of my favorite parts about going to games when I was a pup :laugh:, especially after a win and when my dad first started taking me to games it was during that period when we were undefeated against the Rangers over a 4 year span in the late 90s, so a Ranger home game or two was in there and those tunnel walks were nuts

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Hated the freaking tunnel(or at least the walk that went through the tunnel). 10 pm mid January, 20 degree's, and I have to walk a mile to get to my car?

I was so glad when they got out of the meadowlands.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
That tunnel was one of my favorite parts about going to games when I was a pup :laugh:, especially after a win and when my dad first started taking me to games it was during that period when we were undefeated against the Rangers over a 4 year span in the late 90s, so a Ranger home game or two was in there and those tunnel walks were nuts

Oh lord the tunnel. I think the tunnel left a larger impression on me as a kid then the place itself. :laugh:

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I always missed the 7:30 start times after we moved to Newark. I was working in Pennsylvania for a while after we moved, and I'd just barely get there before puck drop on weeknights.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
I wonder if the anti-Rags and messier defamation graffiti is still scribed on the cow tunnel walls.

I use the tunnel constantly for Giants games. They re-did it a long time ago and it's all concrete/metal now. There's no inscriptions, and really nowhere to write anything. And that thing is ****ing freezing cold in November/December.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
ive only seen one game at CAA, the last one vs ottawa playoffs in '07…..had a blast that day. the tailgate and street hockey….****ing right. love the parking lot atmosphere.

…..then i went back for the opening of the rock in october :)

Sarge18

Feb 17, 2007
1995 cup parade video/telecast (this is some awesome stuff)

I implore everyone to set aside an hour and watch this video. It's like a time capsule of awesomeness. A Rockin' Rollers commercial, Bazookas girls, a wonderful sign in regards to Mark Messier, a bunch of our players completely hammered and I think Lou was too. I was there that night and it was just incredible and a total disaster in terms of execution and organization, just like everything this team tried to do in that era.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
I implore everyone to set aside an hour and watch this video. It's like a time capsule of awesomeness. A Rockin' Rollers commercial, Bazookas girls, a wonderful sign in regards to Mark Messier, a bunch of our players completely hammered and I think Lou was too. I was there that night and it was just incredible and a total disaster in terms of execution and organization, just like everything this team tried to do in that era.

I browsed through it when I found it the other day, but sat aside last night and watched it in full, some really great footage. Also makes you also realize how close and dicey things really were regarding Nashville.

The Messier sign was great and then seconds later so was the 'Bo Knows, But Jacques Knows Better' one :laugh:

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
that VCR tape held no less than 40 movies prior to being used to record that cup parade. LOL

>>>Tracking +1 +1 +1 +1 <<<<<

Stan Fischler talking to a younger Stan Fischler!

RGwgutL.jpg

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
One of my favorite things about the place was that the announced attendance for soldout Devils games was always....

Mystically helped with the 1940 chant.

God, I miss that chant. When the tunnel was going after a game in the '94 playoffs, the walk back to the car was bliss.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
One of my favorite things about the place was that the announced attendance for soldout Devils games was always....

Mystically helped with the 1940 chant.

God, I miss that chant. When the tunnel was going after a game in the '94 playoffs, the walk back to the car was bliss.

It actually was 19,023 then someone in the Devils organization smartly upped it to 19,040.
Too bad that chant is still not applicable today.

Brick City

Ignore me!
May 21, 2012
New Jersey
Great pics on the first page Wingman. Obviously great memories of the team there, but the place was obsolete within a few years of its opening. Remember wondering why there was only one cramped concourse, not understanding the value of the spartan luxury boxes immediately behind the lower bowl seats and the press box taking up prime seating at center ice. It was slapped up relatively quickly to lure teams to New Jersey and did its job. Hoping the new barn, with its array of future proof amenities, has a much longer useful lifespan.

The thing I miss most about the Meadowlands experience is also the hike through the old rickety looking bridge over the highway. Lots of stomping/pounding and good luck to any Rangers/Flyers fans unfortunate enough to be stuck in there.

I'll believe it ONLY when I see it imploded with my own two eyes.

My prediction is the Democrats find SOME way....SOME how.....by SOME means..... to keep this money-wasting taxpayer sinkhole alive.

The partisanship is misplaced - the incompetence and greed of politicians from both parties lurks behind the NJSEA's many blunders and missteps.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
So part of this deal was that the acts have the option of moving their shows to The Rock or cancel the show.

Maroon 5 for example, was schedued for March 8 at izod.
Well, the Devils play Philly that night so that show has been cancelled.

The Rock will not see any immediate tangible benefits but possibly down the road.

Based Anime Fan

Himedanshi Bandit
Mar 11, 2012
Tokai
I browsed through it when I found it the other day, but sat aside last night and watched it in full, some really great footage. Also makes you also realize how close and dicey things really were regarding Nashville.

The Messier sign was great and then seconds later so was the 'Bo Knows, But Jacques Knows Better' one :laugh:

I miss that broadcast crew

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto

4:00 dress in drag and matt becomes frank n furter :laugh:

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Some more good news for The Rock;

A close reading of the 10-page “letter agreement†obtained by The Record from the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority shows numerous promises made to the operators of the arena in Newark, in exchange for the $2 million they pledged to pay the state agency.

In the letter, the sports authority agreed either to keep the Izod Center closed in 2017 and in 2018 as well, or alternatively to reopen in 2017 in a format that is not directly competitive with the Newark arena.

In the latter case, the sports authority would agree that from 2017-2021, the Meadowlands facility would only offer a “single theatrical residency production†— a series of performances such as Cirque du Soleil — or cut the capacity of the Izod Center in half, to a maximum of 10,000 seats. Popular family shows such as the traditional traveling circus and ice-skating events that are featured in most or all arenas in the region also would not be held at Izod Center at that time, with an exception for shows produced by a new operator.

That exception could prove useful for Triple Five, the developer of American Dream Meadowlands, if it won a bid to operate the Izod Center in a scaled-down form. Triple Five — which operates Mall of America in Minnesota — has a partnership at American Dream with DreamWorks Animation, the source of popular characters such as Shrek and Kung Fu Panda. A Triple Five spokesman declined to comment.

Jon F. Hanson, Governor Christie’s adviser, said last month that the only logical operators of a reconstituted Izod Center would be Triple Five, Prudential Center, or the Giants and Jets football teams — who own and operate MetLife Stadium.

Three sports authority board members who were part of the majority in Thursday’s 10-2 vote to close Izod Center said before their votes that they expected Izod eventually to reopen in some form.

http://www.northjersey.com/news/nj-s-agreement-with-prudential-center-limits-meadowlands-arena-s-future-operations-1.1201083

Sarge18

Feb 17, 2007
Also apparently the circus will go on as planned in March at the Izod, but no Izod Center Nazis, I mean employees will staff the event. It will be all Prudential Center employees and the Rock will take in any money that is generated by it. Since I refused to ever go back to that place with the way they treated Devil fans the last few years there, I may now try to get tickets to the last circus show there and close the old dump. Maybe I'll bring some tools and take a seat home with me. Think anybody would care at that point?

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Also apparently the circus will go on as planned in March at the Izod, but no Izod Center Nazis, I mean employees will staff the event. It will be all Prudential Center employees and the Rock will take in any money that is generated by it. Since I refused to ever go back to that place with the way they treated Devil fans the last few years there, I may now try to get tickets to the last circus show there and close the old dump. Maybe I'll bring some tools and take a seat home with me. Think anybody would care at that point?

On more than one occassion some of their concession stand folks would have Rags turtlenecks under their uniforms at games.
My gal at that time told a guy to take the bleep off or she'll climb over and rip it off herself. :laugh:

Then out of nowhere the last season, the red coated security tough guys would not let fans stand up at the top of the upper level sections, which was always allowed. They were trying to do everything in their power to ruin fans fan that last season.

It really was a hostile attitude vs the Devils and us fans by many of the people that used to work games there.
Night and day to the true Devils home feel we enjoy now.

Back to the cow tunnel, it seemed like every time we played the Rags from around 1999 to 2007, a group of about 5 Devils fans would be tailgating right at the spot where the tunnel let fans out.
They would have the chicken dance song playing nonstop and Devils fans (and them of course) would yell "The Rangers Suck!", which was awesome.
Obviously pissed off the Rags fans walking by and arguments occurred, but it was good stuff by them guys.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA

I'm definitely going to cop tickets to the circus in March and head over in a Devils jersey. Probably won't even watch the circus, I'll just walk all over.

Were you kidding about taking a seat home? Sounds like a solid idea..

Sarge18

Feb 17, 2007
I'm definitely going to cop tickets to the circus in March and head over in a Devils jersey. Probably won't even watch the circus, I'll just walk all over.

Were you kidding about taking a seat home? Sounds like a solid idea..

I was mostly kidding about the seats. Don't know how I can sneak one out the door. I remember when we knocked Boston out in 95 they were showing their fans taking seats out of the old Garden. Might be easier to take something smaller. I have an armrest from one of the seats that easily popped off.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
If you were serious enough about taking a seat....

Consider that it will be Prudential Center employees working the events who are just collecting a pay check and mentally probably couldn't careless about the place and I wouldn't be surprised if their superiors "told" them not to care so much about the place. Slip em a $5 or a $10 if you get haggled and off you walk :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad