Advice: I've just been cut...twice

madlee

Mar 7, 2015
So I'm a 17-year-old going into my midget major year of hockey. I just tried out for my local AAA program that I've played for two years. I got cut. Not really surprised as I had an awful tryout. I decided to take the two-hour drive to a neighboring city to try out (in the same city as an NHL team). I had the greatest try out of my life. In the All-Star game, my team lost 7-2 but I scored the only two goals. Now I know the game of hockey is much more than goals. I won 90% of my faceoffs. I was physical. I moved the puck well and created scoring chances. And most importantly, I played a 200-foot game. When I got home from school today, I got the call that I had been the very last cut. What's very frustrating about all of this is that I know for a fact that there were politics involved. People who have been in the program for so long (no matter their skill level), practically can't get cut.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, what the heck do I do. I'm beyond devastated and am so tired of being cut when I know damn well I could fit right in with that team. It's just frustrating knowing that this has nothing to do with skill and effort. Please help. Maybe there is something I'm no getting.

When I was a kid, there were mothers that would sleep with the coach to keep their kid on the team. Adults are just as petty, possibly more so than children.

What will be even more infuriating is if you ever go into the work force and you see similar favoritism. You will see sycophants rise over talent again and again.

Last edited:

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
When I was a kid, there were mothers that would sleep with the coach to keep their kid on the team. Adults are just as petty, possibly more so than children.

What will be even more infuriating is if you ever go into the work force and you see similar favoritism. You will see sycophants rise over talent again and again.

That's falls into the 'life's not fair' category. It isn't; and dealing with it is a part of growing up. There's some stuff you can control and some stuff you can't.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
I really wonder how many talented players the NHL has never seen because of exactly this kind of thing.

A kid suffers a setback and a bunch of jacakasses welcome him to the beer leagues. Maybe that's where this kid belongs, but none of you know that. You could be helping Sidney Crosby give up on his dream. As a Jets' fan, I know both Mark Scheifele and Nik Ehlers nearly quit playing hockey before they were junior eligible. How are those guys doing now?

To the OP, if you really feel you were good enough to make that team, prove it on the ice. Talk to everyone you can and try to get into that league any way you can. If that means playing a level down for a club in the same league, do it. You'll get called up when you're dominating weaker competition. If that means playing for the worst team in the league, do that. If you've got to commute 2 hours for every practice and every home game, do it.

You can pm me with where to get your rookie card autographed after you're drafted.

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
I got cut from my HS baseball team in a very similar manner to you. Politics were involved. The coach lived in my neighborhood and also cut two other kids from the neighborhood. One literally my neighbor. They transfered, were top players on the local public school team, and went on to play D1 and D3 college ball.

Don't be like me and let it frustrate you. I kept on playing fall/winter/spring/summer ball and parents, players, and coaches were asking why I wasn't playing high school ball. Players on opposing teams were asking me why I wasn't on the HS team and how I was a much better fielder than the players they picked.

DO NOT LET IT FRUSTRATE YOU. I let it frustrate me and I didn't put 110% into making the HS team and I regret that. I stopped trying out after my freshman year. I shoulda kept working to improve and be so good they had to choose me. I didn't want to transfer schools just for a sport. So my advice would be to keeping grinding and practicing hard, work harder than the other guy, and it will hopefully payoff in the long run. I also never sought advice from one of the coaches. Looking back I wished I asked them why and what I should work on.

Fun fact, Carlos Pena is from my hometown. He got cut from the local HS team TWICE. He went on to play at Northeastern D1 ball and had a pretty successful $51 mil MLB career. Some of these high school age coaches don't know ****. Keep working hard it'll pay off. Just try out everywhere you can.

Last edited:

Clarke

Aug 21, 2008
Toronto
Honestly, the one thing i took from my hockey years specifically years 17-21 Jr. A and B (cut 3 times in one year) was being cut was possibly the best thing for future me. You really learn not to stress on the little things and improved my ability (i think) to handle adversity in the work force.

Sounds silly, but when you're 25 you'll laugh about it and really appreciate it.

BogsDiamond

Anybody get 2 U yet?
Mar 16, 2008
Unfortunately, that's life.
I coach hockey and baseball and I see it all the time.
Kids who have no business making a travel team prevent better athletes from making the club - all because the parents are friends with the coaches, etc.

My advice would be to catch on with a 'lesser' team and make the most of it.
Don't be like the kids (or parents) in my town who refuse to go 'down' a level or, HEAVEN FORBID, return to their home town team.
Why? It's still hockey and you can still learn something.
Nothing defeats a dream like a bad attitude. Or Lupus. That's pretty bad too.

When I was a kid, there were mothers that would sleep with the coach to keep their kid on the team.

Where do you live and are there coaching vacancies?

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
It's like anything competitive in life. You're going to have more rejections than approvals, and that's just the way it is.

I've been playing music and writing stories somewhere between for fun and semi-professionally for years. It's cool when stuff gets accepted, but, more often than not, you're likely getting rejected.

But my thing is I take that as motivation. It makes me work harder to prove those people wrong. Does it always work out? No. But keep at it--skate faster, play harder, and score a few more goals. I might not be the most talented writer/musician/person, but my work ethic is second-to-none, and I know I'll have zero regrets later on.

You're 17. You're still young. See these things through while you can. Try another city. Try another team. Try out another league, even if it's a little less competitive, and work your ass off to be the best guy in that league.

Whatever you do, wherever you go, strive to be the best and get the most out of it. Most importantly, enjoy it.

Sometimes you need to make your own luck and opportunity.

leftwinger37

Jun 7, 2011
"Great Lakes State"
It's like anything competitive in life. You're going to have more rejections than approvals, and that's just the way it is.

I've been playing music and writing stories somewhere between for fun and semi-professionally for years. It's cool when stuff gets accepted, but, more often than not, you're likely getting rejected.

But my thing is I take that as motivation. It makes me work harder to prove those people wrong. Does it always work out? No. But keep at it--skate faster, play harder, and score a few more goals. I might not be the most talented writer/musician/person, but my work ethic is second-to-none, and I know I'll have zero regrets later on.

You're 17. You're still young. See these things through while you can. Try another city. Try another team. Try out another league, even if it's a little less competitive, and work your ass off to be the best guy in that league.

Whatever you do, wherever you go, strive to be the best and get the most out of it. Most importantly, enjoy it.

Sometimes you need to make your own luck and opportunity.

This is good advice. To piggy back off of this sentiment, there is always something to learn through your mistakes and shortcomings. If you get cut, ask for feedback. It's not fun to hear someone point out your flaws, but sometimes it's necessary so that you know what to improve upon so you can be more prepared for the next try-out.

The words from that cheesy motivational poster often ring true "Luck: When preparation meets opportunity."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad