Confirmed with Link: Ivan Provorov traded to CBJ (via LA) - 1st, 2 2nds, Petersen, Walker, Grans to Philly

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
Actually, it's not a bell curve, it's the end of the long tail of an unknown distribution (which could be a Bell Curve, but who knows?).
So McDavid is way out there in his own tier, then the second tier has a handful or two, the third tier a couple dozen, the fourth tier maybe 50 and so on.

When I look at scoring, I look at the median "line" player, but that obscures how scoring is actually distributed.
So 1st line median is #48, 2nd line, #144, 3rd line, #240.

When you look at actual pp/60 (5x5):
#48: 2.26, #144: 1.69, #240: 1.17
3.00+ - McKinnon, Skinner, Tkachuk, Pastrnak, Thompson, Pettersson
2.80-2.99: McCann, Point, Tuch, Kuzmenko, Roberson, Hughes
2.60-2.79: Marner, Hintz, Verhaeghe, Matthews, McDavid, Benn, Crosby, Nylander
2.40-2.59: 16
2.20-2.39: 25
2.00-2.19: 28
1.80-1.99: 35
1.60-1.79: 32
1.40-1.59: 50
1.20-1.39: 29 [800 minute minimum probably causes players to drop out at this point]
[this is not a ranking of players, just a crude attempt to get a picture of the distribution of scoring]

3 year distribution [2000 minutes]:
#48: 2.23, #144: 1.75, #240: 1.18
3.00+ - Marner, Matthews, McKinnon
2.80-2.99: McDavid, Tkachuk, Robertson
2.60-2.79: Pastrnak, Marchand, Verhaeghe, Kaprizov, Panarin, Fiala, JG
2.40-2.59: 17
2.20-2.39: 23 [Farabee 2.21, #53]
2.00-2.19: 33 [TK 2.19 #54, Giroux 2.10 #70]
1.80-1.99: 44
1.60-1.79: 47 [Hayes 1.79 #132, JVR 1.76 #138, Tippett 1.69 #157]
1.40-1.59: 43 [Cousins 1.59, #178, Laughton 1.41, #217]
Deslauriers 0.86, #255
1.40 or so seems to be the cutoff to have a secure, top 9 spot.
I got to be honest I have no idea what you’re trying to say with these numbers, given the context of the term bell curve in my post. All I really meant is the very good and very bad players.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I got to be honest I have no idea what you’re trying to say with these numbers, given the context of the term bell curve in my post. All I really meant is the very good and very bad players.
The best players are on the tail end of the distribution, and 3rd lines are in the fatter part, 4th liners are tricky b/c most are replacement level and don't play enough minutes to qualify in my scan, but would be a much larger number. It was just a quick and dirty look.

Interesting rumor:

"The Fourth Period also mentioned in today’s report that the lines of communication aren’t quite closed between the Flyers and Columbus Blue Jackets, especially regarding a long-time rumored deal involving Kevin Hayes. They noted the Provorov trade was of higher priority to both clubs, but the two parties are now “set to reengage” after completing the three-team deal.

The main negotiating factor in a Hayes trade is reportedly salary retention, suggesting a return package from Columbus might already be ironed out. Hayes, 31, finished second in scoring among Flyers players with 54 points in 81 games this season and provides a much-needed upgrade at center for Columbus, although his roughly $7.1MM cap hit is a tad rich for his skillset and career arc."

Sounds like Briere wants to be paid more to retain/take on Gudbrunson's contract.
Hold firm Danny, get your pound of flesh.

Last edited:

04hockey

Sep 28, 2017
he should, Hayes is a good hockey player if he's surrounded by decent linemates, he's above average in the offensive zone with his vision and passing, he is a point a game scorer if he gets those linemates . :nod:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
CBJ has a special interest b/c JG and Hayes were lights out playing on the same line in college.
So they probably see Hayes with JG as a 40+ ES, 60+ overall scorer - and you can live with mediocre defense with that kind of production.

Reactions: renberg

PDX Flyer

Lost in the Woods
Nov 13, 2019
No scoring? In 2012 playoffs:

Kopitar PPG
Brown PPG
Doughty 66 point pace
Richard's 62 point pace
Williams 62 point pace
Carter 53 point pace

Pitt and Philly had the highest goals/game because neither was playing any defense. And we all know that series was an outlier....4.33 and 3.73 g/g.

Next highest g/game? LA at 2.85...then NJ at 2.46, Fla 2.43.

So excluding the outliers, LA clearly had the best offense that playoffs....and the best defense.

oh, and in 2014, they had the top g/game in tbe playoffs.

Let's not pretend they ONLY had defense. Both playoffs wins they had the best offense. Funny how people ignore that.
Thank you for posting that. I didn’t have the energy to respond

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
he should, Hayes is a good hockey player if he's surrounded by decent linemates, he's above average in the offensive zone with his vision and passing, he is a point a game scorer if he gets those linemates . :nod:
Sorry, is this sarcasm?

Hayes has never been a point per gme producer in his career, so I dont know how you can claim that. The guy hasn't even broken 60 points in a season

04hockey

Sep 28, 2017
Sorry, is this sarcasm?

Hayes has never been a point per gme producer in his career, so I dont know how you can claim that. The guy hasn't even broken 60 points in a season
no it's not .....watch any Flyers games the past couple of years ?

Hayes is GOOD in the offensive zone.....with the right linemates ..... who knows

he could hardly be bothered this past season and he still produced 54 pts

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
no it's not .....watch any Flyers games the past couple of years ?

Hayes is GOOD in the offensive zone.....with the right linemates ..... who knows

he could hardly be bothered this past season and he still produced 54 pts

Hayes has had the right linemates. It's common for his linemates to produce less with him. I bet that's related to his propensity for holding the puck and ignoring numerous passing opportunities while trying to Zherdev things himself.

Last edited:

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Hayes has had the right linemates. It's common for his linemates to produce less with him. I bet that's related to his propensity for holding the puck and ignoring numerous passing opportunities while trying to Zherdev things himself.
I really hope we can get someone to take Hayes. A return home to Boston, who need Cs, would be perfect. Retain 50% and get a pick or a prospect, anything really as long as we don't have to add. What do people think Hayes' value is?

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

chadateit

Jan 11, 2021
I really hope we can get someone to take Hayes. A return home to Boston, who need Cs, would be perfect. Retain 50% and get a pick or a prospect, anything really as long as we don't have to add. What do people think Hayes' value is?
I'd set your expectations low for a Hayes return. I think you'll see significant retention (30-50%) or a really ugly contract in return. I don't expect more than a couple mid-round picks, or maybe a B-prospect and one pick. I'll be thrilled if we can even get a 2nd back as part of a deal.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
a 50+ point center at $4M is a bargain, at $7M a millstone around the Flyers' neck.

So retain $3M or take on a bad contract (Gudbranson) and he's have real value - compare to what you'd have to pay in free agency for that kind of production.

Reactions: renberg

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
I'd set your expectations low for a Hayes return. I think you'll see significant retention (30-50%) or a really ugly contract in return. I don't expect more than a couple mid-round picks, or maybe a B-prospect and one pick. I'll be thrilled if we can even get a 2nd back as part of a deal.
My expectations are even lower. I'd take a stack of practice pylons and a shooter tutor for Hayes, but if you want 50% retention, we have to get a pick back. As you say, a 2nd would be ideal, or a 2nd and 3rd if the Flyers take a bad one-year contract back. I never wanted Hayes, hated every second he's been a Flyer and can't wait until he's gone.

Last edited:

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
a 50+ point center at $4M is a bargain, at $7M a millstone around the Flyers' neck.

So retain $3M or take on a bad contract (Gudbranson) and he's have real value - compare to what you'd have to pay in free agency for that kind of production.

You've basically described a Charlie Coyle more slanted to offense. And you're going to spend a retention slot and cap space for 3 years on that type of return because your coach can't be an adult. And also tell me this is good.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You've basically described a Charlie Coyle more slanted to offense. And you're going to spend a retention slot and cap space for 3 years on that type of return because your coach can't be an adult. And also tell me this is good.
A retention slot and cap room aren't a big deal at this point of a rebuild - how many players are the Flyers going to retain on the next three years?
TDA is one year, Atkinson is next year, Sanheim you're not going to retain, and probably not Risto next summer (3 more years).
And they still gain $4M in cap room if they retain $3M.

Hayes' problem wasn't pique by Torts, it's that he's just not a good fit for the style of play under Torts.
Torts tried to make it work, Hayes was 2nd in minutes per game by Flyer forwards.
Tried Hayes at wing, but Hayes wasn't comfortable there, so he moved him back to center.

Sometimes you just have to accept sunk costs and move on.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
A retention slot and cap room aren't a big deal at this point of a rebuild - how many players are the Flyers going to retain on the next three years?
TDA is one year, Atkinson is next year, Sanheim you're not going to retain, and probably not Risto next summer (3 more years).
And they still gain $4M in cap room if they retain $3M.

Hayes' problem wasn't pique by Torts, it's that he's just not a good fit for the style of play under Torts.
Torts tried to make it work, Hayes was 2nd in minutes per game by Flyer forwards.
Tried Hayes at wing, but Hayes wasn't comfortable there, so he moved him back to center.

Sometimes you just have to accept sunk costs and move on.

What if the retention slot is available sooner so they can leverage it for more picks to speed things along? Seems like something that matters.

Reactions: kudymen and Larry44

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Provy is happy to go to a possession team…

"[The Flyers] never really had a full lineup and we were down and behind, didn't play with the puck as much the last two years, so it's really hard to create something offensively when we don't have the puck, when you defend the whole time," Provorov said. "That's why I'm really excited to play on this team, because there are a lot of guys that can play with the puck and there's a lot of guys that can put the puck in the net."

Provorov excited for fresh start with Blue Jackets

Chicken N Raffls

Here for the chaos and lolz
Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville
Provy is happy to go to a possession team…

"[The Flyers] never really had a full lineup and we were down and behind, didn't play with the puck as much the last two years, so it's really hard to create something offensively when we don't have the puck, when you defend the whole time," Provorov said. "That's why I'm really excited to play on this team, because there are a lot of guys that can play with the puck and there's a lot of guys that can put the puck in the net."

Provorov excited for fresh start with Blue Jackets

He's not wrong, but damn this dude is all about it being anyone's fault but his.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad