Confirmed with Link: Ivan Provorov Signs Extension - 6 Years/$40.5M ($6.75AAV)

mdm815

Dec 22, 2005
pa
And this is the biggest difference w his RFA status from his peers. He’s been utilized as an all situations minute cruncher since he entered the league. There is nothing he needs to prove like some of the other young defenders who had to show that they would grow into their game.

Also i think we all need to breathe a little. We all seem to mostly agree that he will fall between 6 and 8. The difference is some think 8 is outlandish and others (myself) would be disappointed but not shocked. And maybe I’ll admit that some of you have talked me off the ledge a bit. 6-7 sounds pretty reasonable after most of the back and forth on here.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Decided to change my avatar to my favorite Flyer. I wonder if my current favorite player's contract will influence the contract of my 2nd favorite player?

Reactions: Rebels57

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
tumblr_na4x5hMjud1smcbm7o1_500.gif

How about that Provorov? He's pretty good at the hockey, huh?

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
There can be fewer than 30 #1 defensemen and more than 30 5's, 6's, and 7's. Only reason I brought up baseball is because it's the only other sport that labels their players by number. There aren't 30 #1's or 30 #2's but there are ton's of 3's, 4's, and 5's.
:huh:
1st and 2nd team QB's?
NBA's 6th man award?
:sarcasm:

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Browse - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

I was just looking at the highest paid defensemen & Florida got zero bargain on that Ekblad contract. Florida has no state tax either so it could have very well been higher if elsewhere.

Or lower with a competent GM who didn't pay out a deal based on the feels.

The best part of that contract is that Hedman signed the same exact deal (only 250k more per) on the same day and had averaged 54 points/82 games the last 3 years, all while being Tampa's established #1. All 8 years were UFA years.

Ekblad was a RFA who had only 4 UFA years bought. Yes, he averaged 38 points his first 2 years, won the Calder, had 15 goals, and was on a Doughty-type Norris trajectory based solely on that (apropos of this thread a little), but he was low-key one of the most sheltered d-men in the league who hadn't put up a positive statistical season since his rookie year with Campbell. They paid him like an actual Norris contender, or assumed he'd be one shortly, before he even achieved close to that status. Now, he's basically flatlined the last 2 years while he's being paid like Hedman who is winning Norrises.

Reactions: pit and FLYguy3911

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
From what I've seen in NHL play and read here, that pair would be a cluster**** of no rules pond hockey

Lol good point. That being said as much as the Farmer drives me insane if he was playing like 16 minutes a night verse lowly competition I think I could at least stomach him. You would hope he would figure out he needs to play conservatively if he is playing with Myers.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

The best part of that contract is that Hedman signed the same exact deal (only 250k more per) on the same day and had averaged 54 points/82 games the last 3 years, all while being Tampa's established #1. All 8 years were UFA years.

Ekblad was a RFA who had only 4 UFA years bought. Yes, he averaged 38 points his first 2 years, won the Calder, had 15 goals, and was on a Doughty-type Norris trajectory based solely on that (apropos of this thread a little), but he was low-key one of the most sheltered d-men in the league who hadn't put up a positive statistical season since his rookie year with Campbell. They paid him like an actual Norris contender, or assumed he'd be one shortly, before he even achieved close to that status. Now, he's basically flatlined the last 2 years while he's being paid like Hedman who is winning Norrises.

I think that list kind of shows that defensemen’s salaries aren’t making some dramatic increase like people think. Doughty obviously signed a $11M AAV deal & Karlsson will follow afterwards but both guys are UFA’s considered top three defensemen in the game.

There’s maybe a guy or two a year (even if that) that jumps Ekblad as we move along here but they’re still UFA’s. There hasn’t even been guys towards the end of their RFA years that have really come close to him nonetheless guys with 3+ RFA years left.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
:huh:
1st and 2nd team QB's?
NBA's 6th man award?
:sarcasm:
Actually thought about it more last night. Football's equivalent would be starting QB vs. Franchise QB. There obviously aren't 30 franchise QBs. #1 WR's and CB's to a lesser extent.

And then followed it up a year later and gave Mike Matheson 8 years and 39 million.

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
And then followed it up a year later and gave Mike Matheson 8 years and 39 million.

I looked it up, and it was actually GM Rowe who gave the Ekblad deal and GM Tallon the Matheson deal. But I'm sure Tallon had his hand in both. That Matheson contract was also given a full season before Matheson's ELC expired, with one year experience and a 17 point season -- 8 years for that. If ever fools rush in....

Have there been any other d-men coming off their ELC, since Doughty, to get 8 years besides the two Panther d-men? I can't think of any. Many 6-7 year deals, but not 8. Not a great track record!

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018

MacDonald lacks awareness of defensive positioning and skill limitations. He makes awful reads and attempts low percentage offensive plays. As much as his reliability gets touted by the administration, he's anti-system hockey.

From what I read on here about the Phantoms, Gordon just lets Brennan and Myers do their own thing.

I'm guessing that a MacDonald-Myers pairing would be an adventure.

mdm815

Dec 22, 2005
pa
I would guess that part of the inflated panthers salaries has to do w being panthers, but I’m not sure. Smaller markets sometimes have to overpay but that’s pretty much baseless speculation on my part

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
MacDonald lacks awareness of defensive positioning and skill limitations. He makes awful reads and attempts low percentage offensive plays. As much as his reliability gets touted by the administration, he's anti-system hockey.

From what I read on here about the Phantoms, Gordon just lets Brennan and Myers do their own thing.

I'm guessing that a MacDonald-Myers pairing would be an adventure.

MacDonald is buttcheeks but Myers is intelligent enough to not neglect the dzone.

Reactions: Ruck Over

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I would guess that part of the inflated panthers salaries has to do w being panthers, but I’m not sure. Smaller markets sometimes have to overpay but that’s pretty much baseless speculation on my part

They signed Barkov to 6 years @ $5.9 mil 6 months prior. A whole helluva lot better contract for a much better player. They'd been better off signing him for 8 years @ $7.5 mil. Florida is known for being cheap, if anything.

Ekblad also was an RFA with 4 years left. He had no leverage. Overpay for what? Even if a team wanted to offer sheet him, it would have equated to 4 1sts. Who would do that?

Reactions: wankstifier

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad