It's time to consider demoting Giordano to the third pair

You think its time to demote Giordano?

• Total voters

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Defensive Pairs - Natural Stat Trick

Now I get that it is only 8 games in, but I think the Flames need to start thinking this through a little bit. Simply put, Giordano-Andersson have struggled all season. Underwater by virtually every metric right now and its not really close. Its not like that pair is carrying the load either given that Hanifin-Tanev lead the team in ES TOI (in fact Valimaki-Nesterov have only played 2:35 less than Giordano-Andersson in total).

Now I get that Giordano is a warrior and won that norris, and at times my mood has been bipolar towards him, but he's barely top 4 caliber right now without the mismatching style between him and Andersson. I find both are too aggressive in the ozone, yet they also lack the footspeed to effectively defend the cycle and make smart plays under pressure. I get that Valimaki is a rookie and whatnot, but honestly his caliber of play has been better in my eyes overall (and at least at ES he already gets almost the same amount of minutes as Gio already).

Hanifin-Tanev
Valimaki-Andersson
Giordano-Nesterov

I doubt it happens, but I hope Ward at least considers the possibility at some point.

Edit: Ah my god I spelled "role" wrong and can't change it. Its late guys, we all make mistakes (some more than others lol).

Last edited:

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Worth considering but I would give Hanifin/Tanev first pair duties first, Gio/Andersson second just to bide more time until Valimaki is more adjusted

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Put anderson valimaki together...gio can be with nestorov or whoever

There is no such thing as 1st pair on the Flames

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
I think if Valimaki starts having more games like tonight then this can be considered after a couple losses. Moving Giordano for Valimaki to make rookie mistakes in an elevated role doesn't seem like a good idea, but if/when we get to see that Valimaki is the d-man we all hope he is then we can consider moving things around.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Tossing unproven kids like Valamaki into the fire, when Gio isn't terrible, is a move straight out of Oilerville. Continue to increase others exposure to big game situations and let Gio naturally fade back, Win-Win

This.
These things will happen organically as Gio continues to decline and Juuso, among others, continue to grow.

I don’t see Ras and Gio as the top pair regardless; that’s Hanifin and Tanev. Or at least a 1A/1B situation.

Do the people who want Juuso to jump into a top 4 minute role not forget how bad he’s been to start the year? Last night was his best game, but we are just starting to scratch the surface. It’s a very Oilerly thing to do, have him jump the line because he’s young.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
It's nice that Andersson emerged as such a stud right before as Gio entered age-induced decline.
Hanafin acquisition is looking better and better too.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Tossing unproven kids like Valamaki into the fire, when Gio isn't terrible, is a move straight out of Oilerville. Continue to increase others exposure to big game situations and let Gio naturally fade back, Win-Win

This.
These things will happen organically as Gio continues to decline and Juuso, among others, continue to grow.

I don’t see Ras and Gio as the top pair regardless; that’s Hanifin and Tanev. Or at least a 1A/1B situation.

Do the people who want Juuso to jump into a top 4 minute role not forget how bad he’s been to start the year? Last night was his best game, but we are just starting to scratch the surface. It’s a very Oilerly thing to do, have him jump the line because he’s young.

I mean I’d normally be inclined to agree, but at least at ES gio isn’t playing significantly more mins a game. Checking hockey reference I believe the difference between vali and gio is a whopping 1 minute/game, with speciality teams making most of the difference.

I don’t think it’s crazy to think valimaki should at least be considered on the pp somewhat soon. If you swap those two on the second unit than valimaki is already the #2 lhd

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I mean I’d normally be inclined to agree, but at least at ES gio isn’t playing significantly more mins a game. Checking hockey reference I believe the difference between vali and gio is a whopping 1 minute/game, with speciality teams making most of the difference.

I don’t think it’s crazy to think valimaki should at least be considered on the pp somewhat soon. If you swap those two on the second unit than valimaki is already the #2 lhd

TOI is not equivalent to what is expected during that TOI.

Giordano is still getting hard assignments, while Valimaki is getting fourth and third line roles. And until yesterday hasn’t been great at that responsibility. I’m all for Juike getting a look on the PP, because i think he’s creative, but I’m 100% against lining him up against Mark
Schiefele tonight.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I’m all for Juike getting a look on the PP, because i think he’s creative, but I’m 100% against lining him up against Mark
Schiefele tonight.
Funny you say this because Valimaki saw a lot of Scheifele tonight

Reactions: super6646

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Anybody still want to protect GIO for the expansion?

I have some med for you ;)

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
He’s lost a step for sure. Surprising how big that step has been. Thankfully he’s such a smart dman. He can still be efficient as a #3-4 guy for another season....maybe.

Reactions: Nightrain

NinjaTurtle

Feb 29, 2020
Windsor, Ont.
I think the coaching staff has to be considering it. Giordano has been an incredible part of the team for a long time, but its time to transition the younger guys into larger roles. Am I suggesting Mark gets 12 mins a night and is treated like a scrub? Heck no, but at this point in time he should have his minutes reduced a bit. Let the top 3 of Andersson, Hanifin and Tanev eat the most minutes. Get Ras, Noah and Valimaki PP time. Let Gio be a leader, a guy the younger D can learn from, but don’t expect him to carry the load anymore.

I know others are hesitant to break up Hanifin-Tanev, but with the success Hanifin-Andersson had at the end of last season, I’m intrigued to see what Valimaki-Tanev could do together. Tanev could insulate Juuso’s inexperience and allow him to be more offensive.

Give Kylington a chance on the third pair with Gio. I’d even consider rolling 7 defence if the team wants to keep Nesterov in the lineup. I feel like Dube, Mangiapane, Lindholm, Gaudreau and/or Tkachuk could handle/benefit extra shifts throughout a game.

Hanifin - Andersson
Valimaki - Tanev
Giordano - Kylington/Nesterov

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
Hanifin and Tanev have been elite, you don’t touch that. Put Andersson with Valimaki and let Gio mentor Oliver.

I actually really like this,

Hanifin-Tanev
Vali-Andersson

These two pairings can split and we can have a 1A 1B type situation.

Then put Gio-Kylington together. But for some reason this organization does not like Kyl.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Gio and Nestorov would be great for the tank.

One guy is lost in no man land and the other guy is too slow to recover for him.....

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I wanted to have Tanev as Hanifin's partner before it was cool AND I wanted to leave Gio unprotected in the upcoming expansion draft and protect Tanev instead. :naughty:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad