Salary Cap: It's time to buyout the Lehman Brothers

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
What UFA goalie is enough of an upgrade on Korpisalo to justify the cost of getting rid of Korpisalo?

Of this years crop of UFA goalies

The guy with the most wins- Talbot at 22 but Sens have been there done that.

Stolarz 14-5-1 1.97 Gaa and .927 sav % and Brossoit 12-5-2 2.05 GAA and .927% have the best numbers but that is as a back up facing lesser competition on a great team. Both are on the wrong side of 30 and neither will come close to those numbers in Ottawa even if they bring the panthers and jets starting 6 d-men with them.

The only starter available is Samsonov and in my mind he is not an upgrade on Korpisalo, this team will break him before the leaves fall.

Unless you are willing to trade 4 a goalie - Korpi is next years starter
Change for the sake of change. Sometimes that's just what you have to do.

When these guys come in to camp and see Korpisalo waiting for them again, they'll already know they have no chance.

Korpisalo has a track record of not being good for 6 of his 9 seasons. The idea that he'll be any good next year seems like it flies in the face of his career norm.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
What UFA goalie is enough of an upgrade on Korpisalo to justify the cost of getting rid of Korpisalo?

Stolarz 14-5-1 1.97 Gaa and .927 sav % and Brossoit 12-5-2 2.05 GAA and .927% have the best numbers but that is as a back up facing lesser competition on a great team. Both are on the wrong side of 30 and neither will come close to those numbers in Ottawa even if they bring the panthers and jets starting 6 d-men with them.

The only starter available is Samsonov and in my mind he is not an upgrade on Korpisalo, this team will break him before the leaves fall.

Yes, I don’t know what Staois will do, but I don’t envy the job that he has in front of him.

There’s a few things to consider.

1. Who do we get that is better, and what will the cost be? If its a UFA, that won’t cost assets, but how much improvement can we expect?

2. If we are trying to move the Korpse, how do we actually accomplish this? People are talking about a buy out, but we were poised to finally get out of that predicament (almost, there’s still White’s buyout), but now we'd be getting back into it for eight years? And people mention the $1.33 m figure, but it's higher for a couple of years.

It's kind of a pickle. There’s going to be some cost & pain.

The idea that our players give up if the goaltending is bad is rather troublesome as well.

I guess we’ll have to wait to see what happens. It's going to an interesting off-season in Senatorsland.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I’d rather get nothing back than those 3 guys.

Soderblom has no where to play with Leevi and Mads in Belleville and AA for a year is not worth 2 years of Murphy.

You'd rather use Chychrun just to dump Korpisalo? In that case it's really bad asset management. Just buy him out or retain half his salary to trade him instead.

And Murphy has 3 years left, could be a solid stop gap veteran RHD

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

Stolartz.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
You'd rather use Chychrun just to dump Korpisalo? In that case it's really bad asset management. Just buy him out or retain half his salary to trade him instead.

And Murphy has 3 years left, could be a solid stop gap veteran RHD
Murphy has 2 more years. No more dead
money should be added to the books. No more high picks given away. We need cap space and we need to move Chychrun or Chabot.

I also doubt Chychrun or Murphy would waive their NTC to move to another bottom 5 team.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Murphy has 2 more years. No more dead
money should be added to the books. No more high picks given away. We need cap space and we need to move Chychrun or Chabot.

I also doubt Chychrun or Murphy would waive their NTC to move to another bottom 5 team.

hmm I remembered 3 years but yeah 2 years left... makes it less desirable then

And regarding "dead money", yes you add Athanasiou for 1 years but remove Korpisalo for 4 years.

We also don't really need cap space, need to re-allocate Chychrun and Tarasenko money to a RHD and a Winger. Sanderson's raise is paid by moving on from Kubalik and Dorion's dead money expiring.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
hmm I remembered 3 years but yeah 2 years left... makes it less desirable then

And regarding "dead money", yes you add Athanasiou for 1 years but remove Korpisalo for 4 years.

We also don't really need cap space, need to re-allocate Chychrun and Tarasenko money to a RHD and a Winger. Sanderson's raise is paid by moving on from Kubalik and Dorion's dead money expiring.
Not really. Once you add a new goalie, a couple bottom 6 vets and a RHD we are bumping up against it.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Not really. Once you add a new goalie, a couple bottom 6 vets and a RHD we are bumping up against it.
I agree. After doing a dozen spreadsheets with people’s roster ideas in them, I’d say your assessment is accurate. Yet, people keep saying this.

Reactions: Loach

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I agree. After doing a dozen spreadsheets with people’s roster ideas in them, I’d say your assessment is accurate. Yet, people keep saying this.

I feel like there are some choices to be made, some people want to add 3 D a G and 2 wingers, it's not likely to happen.

If we can get a Saros, Markstrom or Ulmark level goalie and ship out Forsberg as part of the deal, and swap out Chychrun for a RHD at ~5.6 mil (Roy, Pesce, Tanev, DeMelo) then re-sign Pinto to a bridge deal, we can add one more 3 mil contract and fill in the rest internally with low cost contracts and come in under the cap. Much more than that and you get tight quick

Tkachuk-Stu-Giroux
Greig-Pinto-Batherson
UFA@3m-Ostapchuk-Joseph
Kelly-Kastelic-Kachouk
Norris(assuming he's missing to start the year, but want to count his cap hit)

Sanderson-DeMelo/Pesce/Roy/[email protected]
Chabot-Zub
Kleven-JBD
Hamonic

Markstrom/Saros/Ulmark @ 6m
Korpisalo

That's a 22 man roster at 400k over the cap, Ulmark and Saros are only 5 mil, so if it's either of them, we're good, if it's Markstrom we'd need to not carry a 13th forward.

Now, if we want to also add a vet bottom pair D, we could buy out Korpisalo and run with Sogaard,

Other concerns, do we want to bridge Pinto, or try to lock him in, and how much will Greig cost next year?

Edit: Just realized I posted this in the buyout the goalies thread... I guess a buyout of Korpi and 1 mil back up addition adds about 2.6 mil on the best years, and 666k in the worst years of the buyout. on average 1.666m

Last edited:

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I feel like there are some choices to be made, some people want to add 3 D a G and 2 wingers, it's not likely to happen.

If we can get a Saros, Markstrom or Ulmark level goalie and ship out Forsberg as part of the deal, and swap out Chychrun for a RHD at ~5.6 mil (Roy, Pesce, Tanev, DeMelo) then re-sign Pinto to a bridge deal, we can add one more 3 mil contract and fill in the rest internally with low cost contracts and come in under the cap. Much more than that and you get tight quick

Tkachuk-Stu-Giroux
Greig-Pinto-Batherson
UFA@3m-Ostapchuk-Joseph
Kelly-Kastelic-Kachouk
Norris(assuming he's missing to start the year, but want to count his cap hit)

Sanderson-DeMelo/Pesce/Roy/[email protected]
Chabot-Zub
Kleven-JBD
Hamonic

Markstrom/Saros/Ulmark @ 6m
Korpisalo

That's a 22 man roster at 400k over the cap, Ulmark and Saros are only 5 mil, so if it's either of them, we're good, if it's Markstrom we'd need to not carry a 13th forward.

Now, if we want to also add a vet bottom pair D, we could buy out Korpisalo and run with Sogaard,

Other concerns, do we want to bridge Pinto, or try to lock him in, and how much will Greig cost next year?

Edit: Just realized I posted this in the buyout the goalies thread... I guess a buyout of Korpi and 1 mil back up addition adds about 2.6 mil on the best years, and 666k in the worst years of the buyout. on average 1.666m
I took a quick look at your roster. I may have missed something, so mea culpa. This does seem similar to a roster that I generated a spreadsheet for. I think the only difference was I put Norris into the roster. I based this on the statement from the surgeon that said that the surgeries he performs of this type are successful. So, with this in mind, Norris will be in & we’ll need to be cap compliant whether he’s in the lineup for game 1 or later in the season. I made Korpisalo disappear without cap repercussions, and added Saros with Forsberg as the backup. The total was over $85.8 m.

If we moved Forsberg instead of Korpisalo, the cap would be $1.25 m higher, so we’d be pretty tight ($87,053,714).

1711405169725.png

Attachments

• 1711404450246.png
    1711404450246.png
    58.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I took a quick look at your roster. I may have missed something, so mea culpa. This does seem similar to a roster that I generated a spreadsheet for. I think the only difference was I put Norris into the roster. I based this on the statement from the surgeon that said that the surgeries he performs of this type are successful. So, with this in mind, Norris will be in & we’ll need to be cap compliant whether he’s in the lineup for game 1 or later in the season. I made Korpisalo disappear without cap repercussions, and added Saros with Forsberg as the backup. The total was over $85.8 m.

If we moved Forsberg instead of Korpisalo, the cap would be $1.25 m higher, so we’d be pretty tight.

View attachment 841373
Biggest difference is I'm trading Forsberg and Chychrun to get Saros and then UFA signing a RHD, so I still have Korpisalo (or buy him out) where as you ejected him and kept Forsberg. There are some other small difference (Norris is still in my roster, just I have him as the 13th with Ostapchuk in the lineup, while you have Norris with Smejkal, no big difference there. I also have Kleven instead of TBD as our 3rd pair LD. Oh, and I have Kachouk vs MacEwen, but again, no big deal.

I'm not convinced Korpisalo is moveable given the term he has left, which is why I approached it from the assumption he's still here,

I think either way, it's a very reasonable roster, that could be pretty competitive if those UFA RHD and middle 6 winger signings work out. I quality defensive minded RHD balances out the D, and a hard nosed winger gives us the grit we can sometimes lack.

Despite how poorly this season has gone, I don't think we are actually that far off of being very competitive, and as guys like Greig, Pinto, Sanderson, and Stu develop, we could become a true contender

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Biggest difference is I'm trading Forsberg and Chychrun to get Saros and then UFA signing a RHD, so I still have Korpisalo (or buy him out) where as you ejected him and kept Forsberg. There are some other small difference (Norris is still in my roster, just I have him as the 13th with Ostapchuk in the lineup, while you have Norris with Smejkal, no big difference there. I also have Kleven instead of TBD as our 3rd pair LD. Oh, and I have Kachouk vs MacEwen, but again, no big deal.

I'm not convinced Korpisalo is moveable given the term he has left, which is why I approached it from the assumption he's still here,

I think either way, it's a very reasonable roster, that could be pretty competitive if those UFA RHD and middle 6 winger signings work out. I quality defensive minded RHD balances out the D, and a hard nosed winger gives us the grit we can sometimes lack.

Despite how poorly this season has gone, I don't think we are actually that far off of being very competitive, and as guys like Greig, Pinto, Sanderson, and Stu develop, we could become a true contender
I didn’t have Chychrun in either. I put Norris in, but sounds like you had him in as well (as the 13F). I allotted $5.75 m for the new RD which I think is very reasonable for the defenders that typically get mentioned in our posts. You had $5.6 m, so that was very close to what I had. Kleven would save a little versus the “TBD", but the savings would be quite small. We both have a new $3m UFA winger.

So, all in all, I think our rosters are very similar with the big difference being which goalie we kept.

The big kicker is identified in the text that I wrote which was making Korpisalo disappear without any cap implications. If there’s a buyout, cap coming back in a trade, or retained salary, that would or could mess things up.

If we keep Forsberg versus dumping the Korpse, we are quite close to the cap ceiling. That’s what my spreadsheets are telling me at least. I do agree that dumping Korpisalo could be challenging. That’s why I typed a sentence about that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad