News Article: It's Time For DJ Smith To Go

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
If you put yourself in Dorion's shoes, it should be a no brainer. He has to move into self-preservation mode.

New ownership is coming. They're going to spend anywhere from $750M-$1B to buy this team. With that sticker price, this will no longer be a mom-and-pop operation. They will have one primary priority when they take over:

1. Win back the fanbase and sell tickets

To do that, they're going to have to show that "somethings different".

You can bet that there'll be a very expensive market research agency doing a ton of research into fan sentiment. And when they put together that powerpoint for the new executives, it won't be kind to Dorion or DJ if the season continues like this.

His only chance to survive is to make DJ the fall guy and bring in someone who can lead this team to a respectable finish and change the conversation.

"See it wasn't me it was him. We just needed a better coach. The roster was good."

That's his only shot, and to be honest, it's still a long shot.

Last edited:
Reactions: ColinM

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Good article, well-articulated. It does seem nearly inevitable at this point, unless things turn on a dime tomorrow, but I think DJ has at least two more games of rope.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Well, if you're looking for insight as to what is lacking from a coaching perspective, the 2 points he mentions are special teams play and getting the top players to play better defensively. So, I guess that's good, yet I was looking for a little more detail.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Who is going to replace him this year? Not Capy

claude.jpeg

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Who is going to replace him this year? Not Capy
No he is actually the one running the D core, the alternative is to keep DJ and hire a new D coach. Id be open to that tbh. I dont want Dorion choosing a new coach with new potential ownership looming.

He seemed a little beaten after yesterdays game. My only concern about letting him go is that it’s almost a certainty Capuano gets the interim job and he is terrible
Like I said in my last post he is the problem.

I wouldnt be opposed to Mann as the replacement.

Reactions: Icelevel

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Good article articulates the situation well. I like D.J too it's just time to move on. He's stuck.
He seemed a little beaten after yesterdays game. My only concern about letting him go is that it’s almost a certainty Capuano gets the interim job and he is terrible

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Results speak for themselves. Every year a disasterous start. This is was the only year he had a capable lineup but he's still losing. Perhaps a bit of bad luck in there but we also see the same ol terrible D zone coverage lapses.

Last night was a good effort done in by lapses defensively again.

Reactions: NB613

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
That is likely to happen anyway.
Based on what? New management doesn't often do a wholesale clearing of coaching staffs at every level – they install their guys at the top positions and task them with auditing the lower levels. No owner worth their salt would let the Manns go just because.

And on their behalf, sure, if either/both get an NHL job that isn't in Ottawa they're taking it. But is that really likely? I'd buy possible. Likely feels like classic doomsday, sky-is-falling panic.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Based on what? New management doesn't often do a wholesale clearing of coaching staffs at every level – they install their guys at the top positions and task them with auditing the lower levels. No owner worth their salt would let the Manns go just because.

And on their behalf, sure, if either/both get an NHL job that isn't in Ottawa they're taking it. But is that really likely? I'd buy possible. Likely feels like classic doomsday, sky-is-falling panic.
GM will almost certainly be gone under new ownership. Does the new GM want to keep Mann, Bowness, etc or bring in his people.

New GMs generally wait a little while to replace the coach with their own guy but the leash is short.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
GM will almost certainly be gone under new ownership. Does the new GM want to keep Mann, Bowness, etc or bring in his people.

New GMs generally wait a little while to replace the coach with their own guy but the leash is short.
Nah, fam. Re-read my first paragraph – that's really not how these things usually go. GM and coach for the Sens will probably be let go. But the Manns run what is, by all accounts, a very effective system in Belleville. Any new hire would audit the organization, see that ain't broke, and not "fix" it.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
I don't see what choice Dorion has if this continues. Its just the way it goes in pro sports.
No doubt. His seat is incredibly hot right now.

The team needs a shakeup, and the only thing you can realistically do is a coaching change.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Results speak for themselves. Every year a disasterous start. This is was the only year he had a capable lineup but he's still losing. Perhaps a bit of bad luck in there but we also see the same ol terrible D zone coverage lapses.

Last night was a good effort done in by lapses defensively again.
Lapses in mismanaging the puck and turnovers. Not lapses in defensive zone structure or d-zone coverage.

Ultimately, this brings up the question of accountability though. Perhaps DJ is too well liked by the players, and they don't fear him when they make these mistakes. If these types of plays and mismanagement of the puck continues, I definitely think we need a coaching change. Not just Capuano, but a fresh voice that will put the fear of death into these players.

Tap on the Ankle

Jun 9, 2004
Ottawa
Why is everyone so worried about losing the Manns? Their drafting record is nice but not so great it necessitates keeping them.

Remember this board thought losing Tim Murray and Peter Chiarelli was going to be a disaster and those guys didn't do much outside Ottawa. Lots of good hockey minds out there, new ownership/management making hockey ops changes could be good for the team.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
bring up Mann as interim if Trotz does not want the job. Lets see what Mann has and at the end of the season interview better candidates

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad