It's the summer of 1992 - What would you have offered for Eric Lindros?

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Let's say HF Boards existed back in '92. You guys know that prospects are ridiculously hyped on here, and Lindros was being called the next Gretzky/Lemieux. At that time, many felt he'd become the greatest player to ever play the game.

I was skimming through an old issue of The Hockey News, and I read that Serge Savard was apparently ready to trade Patrick Roy to Quebec if it meant Lindros coming back. Pierre Page also reportedly had interest in Eric Desjardins, Mathieu Schneider, Shayne Corson, and Stephan Lebeau. So, if a deal between the Habs and Nords would have taken place (it's highly unlikely Lindros would have played in Montreal though), it likely would have included a mix of those names. I for one, am glad such a trade never took place.. Definitely not if Roy would have been part of the package.

So basically, it's 1992 and you're on the HF Boards trade rumors section. What would your offer have been at that time to bring Lindros to your team?

Derick*

No one's going to tell the truth now that they have hindsight.

In before "I would have known, and therefore not offered much..."

Also, are we talking current assets or our assets then? Because the Sharks couldn't have gotten him for their entire team at that point :laugh:

Actually we got screwed out of drafting him ourself iirc :rant:

headsigh

leave at once!
Oct 5, 2008
Atlanta
ofthesouth.blogspot.com
Thrashers didn't exist then. ):
Okay, let's say my second favorite... Ottawa?

I don't have really all that much to offer. :v

I hope Quebec likes a first, Jody Hull, Mike Peluso and Sylvain Turgeon. Most likely, they won't.

Analyzer*

Thrashers didn't exist then. ):
Okay, let's say my second favorite... Ottawa?

I don't have really all that much to offer. :v

I hope Quebec likes a first, Jody Hull, Mike Peluso and Sylvain Turgeon. Most likely, they won't.

I wonder if, say there was the option of Daigle, or Lindros, how much more it would have took to get Lindros for Daigle. I mean he was very highly touted too.

LeBlondeDemon10

Jul 10, 2010
Canada
As a Habs fan I would have offered Quebec Roy, Lebeau and Schneider if his parents stay out of his business. If his parents are part of the deal, they can have Racicot, Ronan and a bag of pucks.

Raoul Duke*

Let's say HF Boards existed back in '92. You guys know that prospects are ridiculously hyped on here, and Lindros was being called the next Gretzky/Lemieux. At that time, many felt he'd become the greatest player to ever play the game.

I was skimming through an old issue of The Hockey News, and I read that Serge Savard was apparently ready to trade Patrick Roy to Quebec if it meant Lindros coming back. Pierre Page also reportedly had interest in Eric Desjardins, Mathieu Schneider, Shayne Corson, and Stephan Lebeau. So, if a deal between the Habs and Nords would have taken place (it's highly unlikely Lindros would have played in Montreal though), it likely would have included a mix of those names. I for one, am glad such a trade never took place.. Definitely not if Roy would have been part of the package.

So basically, it's 1992 and you're on the HF Boards trade rumors section. What would your offer have been at that time to bring Lindros to your team?

Lindros said numerous times during the whole Quebec fiasco that he would play for Montreal, it had nothing to do with the province or people.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
I would offer Doug Weight, Tony Amonte, Alexei Kovalev, John Vanbiesbrouck, three first round draft picks (1993, 1994 & 1995) and $12 million. :)

Franck

eltiT resU motsuC
Jan 5, 2010
Gothenburg
Lindros said numerous times during the whole Quebec fiasco that he would play for Montreal, it had nothing to do with the province or people.

So the general awfulness of the 'Nords was the only reason?

Anyway, I wouldn't have traded for Lindros in '92 if I was a GM, considering how much the Rangers and Flyers were willing to give up for him.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
I wonder if, say there was the option of Daigle, or Lindros, how much more it would have took to get Lindros for Daigle. I mean he was very highly touted too.

Even then at maximum hype everyone knew Lindros was magnitudes better than Daigle was. Also the year after Lindros was drafted when he was available for trade it was Yashin that was drafted 2nd overall. Daigle was 2 years after Lindros. Let's say Ottawa was after Lindros. They would have needed to offer Yashin and probably their next 3 first rounders plus maybe their 2nd rounders as well. And their best 2 or 3 roster players like Maciver, Turgeon and so on. That still would have paled to the Rangers and Philly's offers but maybe knowing how horrible Ottawa was then the 3 first rounders would have been really high maybe first overall for the 3 seasons it could have been motivation. Also Ottawa's ownership would not have had the $10 million+ in cash the Nords wanted.

Assuming they got similar picks to Ottawa for 3 seasons they would have got Yashin, Daigle at 1st overall (could have been Kariya or Pronger), Bonk at 3rd overall (or Tverdovsky or Jovanovski), Berard at 1st overall (or Redden or Aki Berg or Chad Kilger). So even with top end picks they would not have done near as well as they would have with Philly.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
As a Habs fan I would have offered Quebec Roy, Lebeau and Schneider if his parents stay out of his business. If his parents are part of the deal, they can have Racicot, Ronan and a bag of pucks.

But aren't we happy now that a trade never took place? We likely wouldn't have won the Stanley Cup that coming season.

Our number 1 goaltender would have been Andre Racicot. :help:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I would offer Doug Weight, Tony Amonte, Alexei Kovalev, John Vanbiesbrouck, three first round draft picks (1993, 1994 & 1995) and $12 million. :)

That trade delays the "move" (at the very least) and the Nordiques makes it further in the playoffs on their last season, but win no Cup.

(The Kovalev dive).

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
I'm just going to do it from the mindset of my favorite team. The Sabres were quite stacked in 1992 so I think we would be one of the few teams with the assets to pull it off. The Nordiques already had Sakic so Lafontaine would be sort of redundant. Hawerchuck, Mogilny, two years of first round picks and Fuhr sounds like a deal they might like, though.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
Eric was an amazing talent blended with his size. It was easy to see why teams were willing to offer up the world for him back then.

He looked like an unstoppable beast then.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Let's assume Lindros was somehow a free agent 19 years old and it is 2002 or 2003 and there is no salary cap. What kind of contract would he have been offered in that circumstance when Bobby Holik is getting $9 million per season? Would he have got a $250 million 10 year deal from some team like the Rangers, Leafs or Flyers? $200 million 10 years?

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
That trade delays the "move" (at the very least) and the Nordiques makes it further in the playoffs on their last season, but win no Cup.

(The Kovalev dive).

Assuming that the teams somehow wound up with the exact same records in 95 as they actually did, the Rangers still probably would've won that series. A Rangers team with Messier and Lindros might've won more than one cup.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
SDC14181.jpg

It's pretty interesting to go back and read an old article like this. Here are some main points:

Title is "Taking a Flyer...or Five."

"Nordiques may have been low-balled in Lindros deal."

"Still, examining the deal closely, and considering what other teams reportedly offered, you have to wonder whether the Nordiques could have done better."

"The names of players such as Steve Yzerman, Sergei Fedorov, Brian Leetch and Jeremy Roenick invariably surfaced when Lindros trade rumors circulated. That's also why it's surprising the Flyers were in the running, since they did not have a true marquee player to put in the package. Even more surprisingly, they didn't even have to give up one of their two best players - right winger Mark Recchi or center Rod Brind'Amour."

"You have to wonder if the price for Lindros was all that hefty."

"Quebec actually offered Lindros a 10 year deal worth 55 million before the trade."

Mike Ricci - "May well become a dominant player. The key player in the deal."

Peter Forsberg - "Deft offensive touch. Nice scouting reports but a long way from a sure thing."

Ron Hextall - "When he's good, there are few better. Hasn't been consistently good for four years now. Should be an asset."

Steve Duchesne - "Ample offensive skills. Philly wasn't willing to give him the 1 million dollar contract he felt he deserved."

Kerry Huffman - "Enigmatic. Appeared to be a rising star in 1987-1988. Solid performer."

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
I think it would more of a curiosity to be able to look back and see the HFBoards banter over prospects and picks.

"NO WAY does Toronto trade a future star like Brandon Convery for a malcontent in Lindros."
"Craig Janney in a deal for Lindros? I think not."
"I want to make this clear. Gilbert Dionne is UNTOUCHABLE."
"The Bruins' future in net is Matt DelGuidice, so why would he be moved?"
"Robert Kron AND Jim Sandlak? In your dreams. And then to add Dixon Ward to the package....you must be crazy."

Scott1980

Apr 27, 2010
Toronto
Amazing to see what was said at the time!

Funny, though. Roy's not going to Quebec, yet Quebec moves and Roy is there in Colorado not long after in a deal that the Habs got far less than Eric Lindros!

As to what I'd give up to get Lindros? I'd be willing to part with a star player, a goaltender and two first round draft choices.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'm just going to do it from the mindset of my favorite team. The Sabres were quite stacked in 1992 so I think we would be one of the few teams with the assets to pull it off. The Nordiques already had Sakic so Lafontaine would be sort of redundant. Hawerchuck, Mogilny, two years of first round picks and Fuhr sounds like a deal they might like, though.

You didn't have Fuhr in the summer of 92, and if Lafontaine is redundant, why would they want Hawerchuk?

If I'm the Leafs, I guess I'd be offering Wendel Clark, Glenn Anderson Rob Pearson, Drake Berehowsky, Grant Fuhr, Brandon Convery and 1sts and cash or whatever was highly touted on the Leafs at the time. Although I think the Leafs were offering Gilmour and Potvin as part of a real package at the time.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00