It's the quarter-season mark, grade the players!

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I'm not bothering with +/-'s for brevity.

A's

Jordan Martinook - Really one of the only reasons this team had any chance of winning a game in October. I'm not sold on the move to C but he's getting there.

Brad Richardson - Similar to Martinook, had a hot start and played very well with a variety of linemates. Was slowing down right around the time of his injury but it didn't play out enough for me to lower the ranking.

Radim Vrbata - I wasn't a believer in the Vrbata is done idea but I did think he was pretty much done as a real top 6 scoring threat and if he got 15 goals or so it would he awesome. He's in the top 90 of league scoring :biglaugh:. Of course he's a streaky scorer so it could all go to crap but for now he's earned the A.

Jakob Chychrun - Since I didn't expect him to be ready for the NHL at all I guess I'd have to go with an A. Before he was getting scratched the main thing I noticed trending downward was his decision making at the blue line offensively.

Anthony Deangelo - Similar to Chychrun except even more productive. The big weakness in his game from what I've seen is his technical approach to defending 1 on 1. Outside of that he's been stellar.

B's
Max Domi - He's the guy the eye test is most deceiving on this team IMO. A bit snake bitten scoring wise and you'll see him cause turnovers trying to do too much but it's because he has to. Starting to gel with the Hanzal line despite early concerns there.

Mike Smith - If he'd quit getting injured he'd get an A. If his pace keeps up through the season it will turn into one from me.

Tobias Rieder - He goes quiet for a few games at a time but I think he's had a nice improvement from last season. Showing more scoring instincts and has gotten back to being a dangerous PKer that teams have to respect on the blue line.

Luke Schenn - His recent return to the lineup boosting the PK has been valuable.

C's
Laurent Dauphin - Generic just-a-guy prospect that won't kill ya on the 4th line. No complaints.

Christian Dvorak - Very inconsistent period to period but managing respectable numbers and presence in the offensive zone and along the boards when given good line mates.

Lawson Crouse - Not much to praise or complain about. A bit more polished defensively than I expected and can PK. But if he were swapped out with a random 4th liner around the league I probably wouldn't notice.

Jamie McGinn - Shown some really impressive goal scoring instincts but is basically as expected. Probably a little easier for opposition to shut down on the Coyotes vs his past teams.

Michael Stone - I'm probably still giving him something of a break for his injuries. Looked pretty good in his first few games, since he's been back from the concussion he has been basically bad. Don't like him on the left side either.

Ryan White - Moderately impressed with what I've seen from him taking charge on the ice and helping younger players between shifts despite being new to the team. Otherwise he's just a guy.

D's
Oliver Ekman-Larsson - His more recent solid all-around play aside, his trainwrecky stretches during the early season some of his passing blunders make him a D. He appeared to be turning the corner lately so no worries here yet.

Kevin Connauton - I didn't expect him to be great, but I did think he was a little more than a flash in the pan offensively last season. Looks like that's all he was. Not showing the same offensive instincts at all.

Alex Goligoski - Similar to OEL, he was really all over the place even period to period in the first month or so. Solidifying on defense now but he's not showing the offensive game I remember from him in admittedly limited past viewings.

Louis Domingue - It wasn't all his fault in those games when Smith was out, but he didn't help matters either. I expected him to at least be within striking distance of bottom 1/3rd starters if pressed into service.

Anthony Duclair - Unlucky in some respects but also showing improvement in his defense and passing game. But results being what there are I'd have to go with a D.

Martin Hanzal - Hanzal's offensive drop off this season has been a big part of the problem. Hopefully it's just a combination of the bad early easy that got almost everyone and having to get back up to speed after injury.

Connor Murphy - SLOWLY rounding into form but it hasn't been pretty. The often looked forward to offensive breakout isn't there at all. I ALMOST put him at F but his usage is really tough.

F's
Shane Doan - As a long time "Doan's not declining that much don't :scared: just yet" defender, that's just not the case this season. Seems to be behind mentally even.

Here's a handy blank list of players if you want to do your own:
[collapse=stuff]Jakob Chychrun
Kevin Connauton
Lawson Crouse
Laurent Dauphin
Anthony Deangelo
Shane Doan
Max Domi
Louis Domingue
Anthony Duclair
Christian Dvorak
Oliver Ekman-Larsson
Tyler Gaudet
Alex Goligoski
Martin Hanzal
Jordan Martinook
Jamie McBain
Jamie McGinn
Connor Murphy
Justin Peters
Brad Richardson
Tobias Rieder
Luke Schenn
Mike Smith
Michael Stone
Dylan Strome
Radim Vrbata
Ryan White[/collapse]

Spirit of Lindgren

Jan 1, 2016
Kevin Connauton B
Lawson Crouse B+-Tough hard hitting big man, why Panthers coach quit, wanted more guys like this.
Laurent Dauphin B- Great in camp
Anthony Deangelo A- Great skater, puck handler. Ate breakfast with him at hotel during camp.
Shane Doan C+ (leadership)
Max Domi B-
Louis Domingue B+
Anthony Duclair C....Come on Duke.
Christian Dvorak C+..
Oliver Ekman-Larsson A
Tyler Gaudet C
Alex Goligoski C-
Martin Hanzal B
Jordan Martinook A ..Great player, Gus his dogs cuts farts. Great story
Jamie McBain Inc
Jamie McGinn B
Connor Murphy B..Theres another guy named Connor Murphy being recruited by Jim Harbaugh
Justin Peters C
Brad Richardson A- My favorite by far.
Tobias Rieder B-
Luke Schenn B+
Mike Smith A
Michael Stone B
Dylan Strome Inc
Radim Vrbata A..Wow what a great job he's been doing.
Ryan White A- Has done a great job out there, skates well, passes well too..likes to fish

The Ticket people..Katrina, Josh Pitts..etc....A+++++ for their effort in this tough year..Thank you all.

Concessions: C- (If they have two more years at GRA, lets get some good stuff in there at least as good as Chase Field.)

Front Office: C- (playing with fans emotions, the roller coaster ride of a new arena, an announcement which at the very least generated more questions than answers.

Fan Support: D..Sure a teams gotta win, but when you see an adrift lifeboat in the ocean you throw em a line. Since IA took over they asked for a line (14 sellouts, tailgate..etc) they've tried...maybe not hard enough. But thats the grade I give me and my fellow hockey fans so far.

Last edited by a moderator:

PerpetualTankYear

Doan 3:16
Mar 27, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
A

Shane Doan A+++. It's Shane Doan, he gets nothing less. If he wants to play until he's 80 they should let him.

Dylan Strome A+ Cuz **** Tippett

Anthony Deangelo A. Love watching him play. Fun, exciting, not turn-over prone.

Ryan White A. Does what he's here to do. Doesn't look bad at all. I'm a fan.

Jordan Martinook A. Goal Scoring machine. Halak, Martinook, and a 2nd for Crosby.

Mike Smith A-, great since back from injury.

B

Jakob Chychrun B+ Better than expected, bright future, still makes a few mistakes but he's also 18

Max Domi B+ Looks good, bad luck sometimes. He'll start lighting it up

Brad Richardson B+ (RIP)

Radim Vrbata B+, he scores sometimes, but looks invisible 99% of the time.

Martin Hanzal B, good when he's playing.

Jamie McGinn B. Looks good. Solid 2nd line role player.

Justin Peters B-. Off the top of my head, I think he started 1 game, and came into one more. Don't remember much else, so I guess he wasn't bad

Lawson Crouse B-. Does what he's there to do, does it decently well.

C

Luke Schenn C+, started weak but has picked it up.

Kevin Connauton C. Sometimes I forget he's on the team, so I guess he doesn't mess up?

Laurent Dauphin C. Eh, just kinda there I guess

Jamie McBain C. Don't remember much, tbh.

Tobias Rieder C. Wish he used his speed more.

Michael Stone C-, not a lot of offense.

Louis Domingue C-. Pretty bad sometimes, kinda ok sometimes.

Anthony Duclair C-. Lots of try.

Christian Dvorak C-. Hasn't done much on the 4th line with 7 minutes a game.

D

Oliver Ekman-Larsson D+. Not what we've come to expect from OEL.

Alex Goligoski D+. Hasn't put up the points expected, and has some stupid defensive moments.

Connor Murphy D+, really :( season from him.

Dave Tippett D-. Puts me to sleep watching hockey sometimes.

Last edited:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Assuming the effort last game holds, the only players I have a problem with are Murphy, Doan, and Rieder. Murphy didn't bring much of that WC success into this season, still slow on his reads even though he has found a consistent physical game. Doan is done, he should be scratched or put on the 4th line with Crouse getting all of those minutes. Rieder hasn't looked like his old self and seems to be going through the motions.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
A's

Domi - On pace for a better season than last.
Vrbata - He's still got game.
Martinook - Has reached another offensive gear.
Rieder - 200-footer that competes in all areas.
DeAngelo - Got his chance and ran with it.
Smith - Our MVP. Healthy and playing well.

B's

OEL - Production has seen a skid as of late.
Richardson - Done for the year, but had a great start.
Dvorak - Getting there, with some flashes already.
Chychrun - Beating expectations for an 18 yr old D.
Stone - Who knew he could also play LHD effectively?

C's

Goligoski - Coming along, some bumps in the road.
McGinn - Inconsistent at best.
Hanzal - I'm tired of your injuries and hesistant play.
White - Better and less stupid as of late.
Crouse - Production isn't there, but he's found a niche.
Dauphin - Close to a "B", getting better by the game.
Schenn - He does his job.

D's

Doan - Notoriously slow starter looks just slow.
Duclair - One dimensional and needs to grow his game.
Murphy - He's been incredibly average after a great year.
Connauton - Almost "inconclusive". Has looked bad when he's played.
Domingue - Has looked like a very average backup most nights.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Kevin Connauton C
Lawson Crouse B- He keeps looking better and better out there. Surprising speed
Laurent Dauphin C+
Anthony Deangelo B+ Big surprise
Shane Doan C
Max Domi B+
Louis Domingue B
Anthony Duclair C Holds on to puck too long
Christian Dvorak C+
Oliver Ekman-Larsson B+
Tyler Gaudet D
Alex Goligoski C Turning it around - plays a smarter positional game than people realized and may not be as much of a puck mover as once thought
Martin Hanzal C+
Jordan Martinook A
Jamie McBain C-
Jamie McGinn C
Connor Murphy C+
Justin Peters C
Brad Richardson A Injury sucks
Tobias Rieder B-
Luke Schenn B-
Mike Smith A
Michael Stone B-
Dylan Strome C Just not ready yet
Radim Vrbata A
Ryan White B+

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
My take:
Forwards
Crouse: B Exceeded by a little my low expectation. Didn't expect him on the team.
Dauphin: C Met my expectations of a 3rd - 4th line center. No offensive upside.
Doan: D Poor year for him, but a defensive disaster (yet). Shot from half wall has less velocity.
Domi: B Starting to play at a very high level now.
DuClair: C Snakebit. Shows the sizzle, but not the steak as of yet.
Dvorak: B Doing well for a rookie center. In an ideal world would be sheltered.
Gaudet: inc. I just don't know what to think about him yet.
Hanzal: B Monster defensive center, needs to score.
Martinook: A Really exceeded my expectations of a bottom line forward
McGinn: B Meets expectations of a secondary scoring forward. Like his defense. I do.
Reider: C Needs to show a lot more. Hoping he isn't Boedker.
Vrbata: A All that and a bag of chips.
White: A All that and a 2 by 4.
Strome just wasn't ready. Needs to lift more, needs anabolic steroids.

Defense
DeAngelo: B 90% fantastic but the 10% isn't just bad, its ugly and costs us.
OEL: D. WTF is his problem? Screws up on both sides of the ice. Way below expectations.
Gogo: C Not the player I thought that he was. Playing better as of late.
Murphy: B. Solid, not stellar.
Schenn: A Plays his 3rd pairing role very nicely. Pleasant surprise
Stone: inc. Not sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad