It's the halfway point, let's talk turkey (Grade the players)

jacobhockey13

used to watch hockey, then joined HF Boards
Apr 17, 2014
on the bench
Anders Lindback - Not as good as he was for Buffalo at the end of last year but not terrible.
Anthony Duclair - I might be letting my emotions out too much on this one but oh my goodness this kid is ****ing unreal. He can absolutely fly. One of the fastest pure skaters in the league. A delight to watch and once he gets some more confidence and drives the play more he is going to be a top player in this league.
Antoine Vermette - Not what he once was. Hasn't been as bad recently as he was at the start but the NMC will make this interesting.
Boyd Gordon - Good. Does his job. Still a face-off beast. Considering who we dumped to get him, I'd say it's a really nice upgrade.
Brad Richardson - Another good guy who just does his job. Not mind-blowing but make a lot of nice, simple plays. Thumbs up to Chayka on this one.
Connor Murphy - Poor at the start of the year, but in the last few games playing with OEL he has been good.
Joe Vitale - I wish he wouldn't have gotten his face smushed. We needed him with Hanzal out. At this point I hope he's able to have a nice life outside of hockey.
John Scott - ****ing all-star. On a more serious note, not as bad as I thought he would be.
Jordan Martinook - Somebody who hustles and uses his work ethic. Like a younger, way less talented Doan. Effective.
Klas Dahlbeck - I've been disappointed with him this year. Defensive play has been consistently lacking.
Kyle Chipchura - Actually has shown some life in the last few games. There are still ore talented options out there, but I'll give him credit.
Laurent Dauphin - Exciting. Maybe our second round picks aren't cursed anymore.
Louis Domingue - Been a Louis fan for a while. Good goalie, actually tracks the puck which is nice. Just no two-pad stacks and never play the puck, please.
Martin Hanzal - Beast. He may miss half the season but he's 4X as valuable as another player in any game he plays. Killing it offensively this year now that he has guys to play with.
Max Domi - Exceptional. Also a future top player in the league. Acceleration is scary for opposing defenders. Driving the play at such a young age is something that only really special players can do.
Michael Stone - Terrible at defense. One of my rare instaces of of being right was calling Stone out on his D play last year. Also a bad puck mover. If I were GM I'd ship him out for a bag of pucks and add a sweetner for the other team.
Mike Smith - Okay I guess. Team wasn't great for him. Had some bad momenta.
Mikkel Boedker - Thought he was going to be better this year. Point on PP was stupid. Feels like a continuation of 2013-2014 rather than 2014-2015. Still a nice player to have.
Nicklas Grossmann - Gets exposed footspeed wise and has to be sheltered. Not a fan, but his d-zone positioning and choices are generally good.
Oliver Ekman-Larsson - Transcedent offensive talent. That ******** early in the year with all those posts was... well... ********. Just a notch below Karlsson in that offensively. Bad with Stone defensively but has been his rock solid elite self with Murphy. Not a coincidence.
Shane Doan - looked behind the game early in the year but that injury did wonders. A good third-liner and leader to have.
Stefan Elliott - Pleasant surprise.
Steve Downie - Stupid penalties and not much upside.
Tobias Rieder - Great at hockey in every aspect. Well, maybe not finishing but that's why we have Doan for tap-ins.
Viktor Tikhonov - Filled a void of waivers. To be continued.
Zbynek Michalek - Has looked slow but better. Resillient.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Good point about Doan. 35g pace at his age, on this team, that's way above expectations and definitely deserves an A.

Shane Doan - B. Before his mid-season renaissance, Doaner played slow, tired, and disinterested. Whatever lit a fire under his ass, though, has turned him back into a substantial contributor. I hope it lasts the rest of the year.

Feckless's point is why I can't justify an A. He was not good for too many games. If it lasts the rest of the year I'd absolutely change my grade. But also perhaps I was not as down on Doan going into the season as most.

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
Looked at this today

Season|Goals For (41 games)|Goals Against (41 games)|Goals For(season)|Goals Against(season)
2014-15|
97​
|
139​
|
170​
|
272​

2015-16|
116​
|
125​
|
???​
|
???​

I'd figure for this season 232 goals for and 240 against. That probably won't be playoff worthy. If the boys somehow figure out a way to keep 15 more goals out of our net, I think that might do it.

We're ahead of the 2011-12 team right now. We can dream of a Feb like that team had.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Looked at this today

Season|Goals For (41 games)|Goals Against (41 games)|Goals For(season)|Goals Against(season)
2014-15|
97​
|
139​
|
170​
|
272​

2015-16|
116​
|
125​
|
???​
|
???​

I'd figure for this season 232 goals for and 240 against. That probably won't be playoff worthy. If the boys somehow figure out a way to keep 15 more goals out of our net, I think that might do it.

We're ahead of the 2011-12 team right now. We can dream of a Feb like that team had.

So offensively we have improved, even though our PP is worse. We are a little better defensively, but not a lot. I think in the second half, our scoring will slow down, but over all it is fine. The key is going to be goal tending and defense. The defensive keys after goal tending, are Murphy's improvement and Hanzal staying healthy. Both would go a long way for our playoff chances.

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
So offensively we have improved, even though our PP is worse. We are a little better defensively, but not a lot. I think in the second half, our scoring will slow down, but over all it is fine. The key is going to be goal tending and defense. The defensive keys after goal tending, are Murphy's improvement and Hanzal staying healthy. Both would go a long way for our playoff chances.

During that 5 game losing streak we had in early Dec, we went from a -1 goal differential to a -14. Can't be having another one of those.

Coyotes are 16-11-1 (.589 points percentage) with Hanzal in the lineup by my count, 5-5-3 (.500 points percentage) without him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad