It's Not About Winning Or Losing. It's About Who Gets The Blame (CBA/Lockout) XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
My bet is we get hockey started at Thanksgiving weekend(when NBC's coverage kicks in) it gives enough time for the Winter classic and 24/7. Plus it gives abut a 65-70 game season.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I agree with Quinn on this point. He's spot on and this league spends way too much time worrying about reducing costs and not enough on improving the product or increasing revenues. For all I know when this returns, GPG is gonna continue to drop and be closer to 5 than it is to 6.

""As far as I can tell there has been no energy devoted in these negotiations to figuring out how to improve the game," Quinn said. "To me, the quality of the game and how it's played and how much entertainment it provides is the thing that makes everybody money. And it's the only thing that makes everybody money. And the people that are given the responsibility for running this game -- both sides -- have not been able to spend enough time on it. To me, that's the greatest tragedy of the whole thing."

I don't really care who gets what % as long as the returning product is improved and they don't even seem to be working on that and likely won't until the summer and only if the whole season gets cancelled like the last time.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
Jiggy deflected this question in the last thread so I'll ask it again:

Many NHL teams are losing money, which means they have to cut costs. What costs do you (or any pro-NHLPA poster) suggest they cut if they aren't allowed to cut player's salaries?

Krishna

Jun 15, 2010
New Jersey

Many NHL teams are losing money, which means they have to cut costs. What costs do you (or any pro-NHLPA poster) suggest they cut if they aren't allowed to cut player's salaries?

Make the players pay for their own flights and hotels :)

Frosty415

Nov 27, 2009
415 to 519

Excellent question, awaiting the answer.

Chiuozu*

My bet is we get hockey started at Thanksgiving weekend(when NBC's coverage kicks in) it gives enough time for the Winter classic and 24/7. Plus it gives abut a 65-70 game season.

The can prepare all they want - it isn't happening.

The NHLPA feels like that gave up massive concessions last time, and now the owners want MORE.

They aren't going to just say "Yes Sir".

With Fehr in the drivers seat, they'll stand pat for an entire year, and we'll lose the season.

This Lockout comes down to the last Lockout and CBA. The NHLPA pretty much blew up last time around, and the players feel they got taken to the cleaners.

That won't happen this time around.

We'll lose a season. This will be made official when the Winter Classic enters the chopping block. The owners will get fed up, and end the entire season.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ

Many NHL teams are losing money
, which means they have to cut costs. What costs do you (or any pro-NHLPA poster) suggest they cut if they aren't allowed to cut player's salaries?

Which teams and how much?

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
If the Winter Classic is cancelled, I say Bettman gets fired. The owners are posturing but the league cannot afford to lose the Classic. Hockey is DONE in the US if they lose the momentum they started there.

RedWingsNow*

1. Sell to a businessman who can manage competently.
2. Trade players for picks, sign Minimum wage players.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
"This is a standard approach, I think it was done in the NBA in the same way," Fehr told ESPN.com Thursday. "Review the history here: they make a proposal, it's essentially a take it or leave it, we respond on the core economics, they take 10 minutes and say no. They tell all the players if we're agreeable to everything except the Make Whole (provision), including all the stuff that's in there, I can give Gary a telephone call. And then we have made several efforts, including yesterday, to say we're prepared to sit down and negotiate with no pre-conditions. They essentially said 'No.'

"It takes two to negotiate. They seem to be really good at imposing deadlines and issuing ultimatums and having lockouts. It seems to be something they're well-practiced at."

Proskauer Rose scripted lockout.

I'm not sure why anyone of us check in, to be honest. We just check the dates of the NBA offers.

stuffradio

Oct 3, 2012
Vancouver
Everyone is to blame, even the fans. We shouldn't have gone back to the game in such droves including having record attendance to games. We wouldn't be having another lockout. :)

Honeycutt

Jan 18, 2010

You can't just sign minimum wage because there is a salary floor. Do you understand how the system work in the NHL?

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB

So the answer is to run the team into the ground?

Those players making minimum wage turn into players asking for a big raise VERY quick.

I am pretty sure the answer to all of this isn't "settle for 30th place"

MacOfNiagara

Feb 8, 2006
Ithaca
The can prepare all they want - it isn't happening.

The NHLPA feels like that gave up massive concessions last time, and now the owners want MORE.

They aren't going to just say "Yes Sir".

With Fehr in the drivers seat, they'll stand pat for an entire year, and we'll lose the season.

This Lockout comes down to the last Lockout and CBA. The NHLPA pretty much blew up last time around, and the players feel they got taken to the cleaners.

That won't happen this time around.

We'll lose a season. This will be made official when the Winter Classic enters the chopping block. The owners will get fed up, and end the entire season.

Their paychecks doubled in six years (from a whole lot more than any of us would ever make to a whole lot more than any of us would ever make x 2). Any 'whoa is me', or 'we're being treated like animals' statements lose 100% of their credibility in face of that fact.

Iggy77

Oct 5, 2009
Ottawa, ON

And how many tickets do you plan on selling with a team full of minimum wage players.

You think you'll have many happy fans burning jerseys because you just went all cheapskate ?

RedWingsNow*

What were the dates of the NBA offers?

It's not the players' job to make sure that every business in the league can compete with NYR and Toronto.

The league needs to take some responsiblity here, too.

Overall, the business is profitable.

Many departments are profitable. Many are on the bubble. Many are losing money.

but overall, the business is profitable.

So how about we correct the problem in a 50/50 manner.

Let's determine how much revenue is needed to help the poor franchises.

The players will go 50 percent of the way. The rich teams can go the other 50 percent.

Instead of the 90/10 proposal being demanded by the owners today

RedWingsNow*

I am not fighting for anything. MOD

Also where are all these people who are going to buy a hockey team that is losing money?

Put one on the market.
It'lll get snapped up quick. MOD

Last edited by a moderator:

Honeycutt

Jan 18, 2010
It's not the players' job to make sure that every business in the league can compete with NYR and Toronto.

The league needs to take some responsiblity here, too.

Overall, the business is profitable.

Many departments are profitable. Many are on the bubble. Many are losing money.

but overall, the business is profitable.

So how about we correct the problem in a 50/50 manner.

Let's determine how much revenue is needed to help the poor franchises.

The players will go 50 percent of the way. The rich teams can go the other 50 percent.

Instead of the 90/10 proposal being demanded by the owners today

Do you have a source?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad