It's been a year since the Jackets drafted three

Tom13Falcons

Aug 16, 2013
The blue jackets drafted three first rounders last year (Wennberg, Rychell and Dano). You could probably say that the jackets most definetly improved their prospect rankings by a good margin. There are several players that are not getting talked about as much like Dansk, Tynan, Chaput, Heatherington, Anderson, Bjorkstrand etc.....

At what level do you think each of theese individul players will be at? Obviously some in Columbus, AHL, some in college and others in junior leagues. Which ones will be at each level?

Cash for Nash

May 13, 2012
The blue jackets drafted three first rounders last year (Wennberg, Rychell and Dano). You could probably say that the jackets most definetly improved their prospect rankings by a good margin. There are several players that are not getting talked about as much like Dansk, Tynan, Chaput, Heatherington, Anderson, Bjorkstrand etc.....

At what level do you think each of theese individul players will be at? Obviously some in Columbus, AHL, some in college and others in junior leagues. Which ones will be at each level?

All in the minors for another year I believe.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Wennberg is the only one really with the potential to make the team out of camp, if not he, Rychel and Dano are penciled in at Springfield. Bjorkstrand and Heatherington are definitely going back to play for their juniors teams and Sonny Milano is going to play for BC

ernmorris

Jun 9, 2008

With D-Mac moving on, I wouldn't be surprised to see Chaput make the big squad this year. He was one of the final cuts and didn't look out of place when he was up last year.

Milltec

Aug 18, 2011
Columbus
anyone know how some of the lesser known prospects have been coming along?

i.e. Heatherington, soberg, moutrey, and the like?

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
anyone know how some of the lesser known prospects have been coming along?

i.e. Heatherington, soberg, moutrey, and the like?

Yes...

Heatherington will be back for one more year in Speedy Creek, and is probably another year after that from being a full-time NHLer. He's well on his way though ... big, mobile, good in all three zones. He had a solid year with the Broncos, really allowed Julius Honka the freedom to play as a fourth forward when necessary. Has a big shot too.

Soberg is progressing about as expected from a late round pick. Had some injury woes this year but was good when he played. I thought this was an excellent pick when it was made, and I still do. Soberg has the potential to be a nice late round find. I would love to see him come over to North America soon, rather than later.

Moutrey is coming along similarly to Josh Anderson, and should be on a similar timeline and projection. He's going to be a banger if he makes it ... not much in the form of top-6 skill here.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Wennberg will only make the CBJ if it's in a top-6 role, IMO ... so pencil him in for Springfield as well.

C'mon SL we all know he's going to anchor the 4th line this year. :sarcasm:

I agree if he isn't ready for the top 6 then a year in Springfield is best for him and the team.

Milltec

Aug 18, 2011
Columbus
Yes...

Heatherington will be back for one more year in Speedy Creek, and is probably another year after that from being a full-time NHLer. He's well on his way though ... big, mobile, good in all three zones. He had a solid year with the Broncos, really allowed Julius Honka the freedom to play as a fourth forward when necessary. Has a big shot too.

Soberg is progressing about as expected from a late round pick. Had some injury woes this year but was good when he played. I thought this was an excellent pick when it was made, and I still do. Soberg has the potential to be a nice late round find. I would love to see him come over to North America soon, rather than later.

Moutrey is coming along similarly to Josh Anderson, and should be on a similar timeline and projection. He's going to be a banger if he makes it ... not much in the form of top-6 skill here.

Awesome updates SL. Really appreciate them. I was really hoping to hear Heatherington coming along as expected and that he was still projecting as an NHL player. Heres to hoping he takes another step this year!

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011
Wennberg: AHL, We roll three scoring lines, but he's just not ready to replace Anisimov, and I figure he is going to be kept at center. Let him center a top line in the AHL and dominate while he learns.

Dano: NHL, I believe he could be the third line winger on the Anisimov line, though it is a toss up. Plus he is probably the most physically ready due to his time in the KHL.

Rychel: AHL, probably the most physically imposing player of the three, however he likely will be another we save for a top six roll, while he plays top line minutes.

FlaggerX

Mar 21, 2008
Columbus
I think Kirby Rychel is the most likely to maker he team. He's performed at a tremendous level offensively in the WHLs, has been a leader and clutch performer. Plus he plays a physical enough game to play a primarily defensive role while learning. Picture he and Test Tube on the same line and you have grinders who could score. I don't think he's ready yet, but I think if anyone makes the team it will be he.

Wennberg needs another year or two of seasoning most likely but has performed well in a man's league. Again, he has a chance but really needs a top six opening. Not yet unless I'm surprised.

I thank Dano may turn out to be a bust. True he was playing in the KHL at a young age, and that will help, but didn't perform all that well, was limited to a grinder's role and often scratched. He played well during the brief time he was in Springfield but hardly set the world on fire. Of the three, he's the one I think least likely to make the Jackets. I'm not sure he'll ever see any NHL minutes in Columbus. Hope I'm wrong, but that's how I see it.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Eh i see Rychel being more ready than Dano. Similar to. jenner, he plays the NHL style of hockey already, just needs to focus on a few things to make the jump. Should be a interesting season to say the least!

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Eh i see Rychel being more ready than Dano. Similar to. jenner, he plays the NHL style of hockey already, just needs to focus on a few things to make the jump. Should be a interesting season to say the least!

I definitely don't think Rychel is more ready, there's a lot more for him to learn and I think the AHL would be good. Dano has already played pro hockey, is very responsible defensively and is a competitor that can fit on a 3rd or 4th line

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I definitely don't think Rychel is more ready, there's a lot more for him to learn and I think the AHL would be good. Dano has already played pro hockey, is very responsible defensively and is a competitor that can fit on a 3rd or 4th line

4min/game in the KHL is hardly a learning experience, and he really hasn't had that much time in Springfield yet. Im not saying either of them will be ready this year but i see Rychel like Jenner in the sense that he absolutely dominated in his last year if eligibility of Jr's and showed massive improvements every season. A year of AHL experience would do them both wonders, but I see Rychel being able to hop on the 3rd or 4th line and already being able to go to the gritty areas and score the garbage goals.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
To be fair, a lot of people seem to care most about losing DMac because of his motor. Dano definitely has a great motor. Wouldn't be too bad of a replacement.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
4min/game in the KHL is hardly a learning experience, and he really hasn't had that much time in Springfield yet. Im not saying either of them will be ready this year but i see Rychel like Jenner in the sense that he absolutely dominated in his last year if eligibility of Jr's and showed massive improvements every season. A year of AHL experience would do them both wonders, but I see Rychel being able to hop on the 3rd or 4th line and already being able to go to the gritty areas and score the garbage goals.

He doesn't skate hard enough and isn't responsible enough on the defensive side to step into a bottom 6 role yet. If he had Jenner's work ethic? Definitely, he has everything else going for him but Dano is more polished. Was the KHL a great experience? No not really but it's still experience

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
I think having any of them on the team could be a mistake, but that being said, the biggest need on the team is for a scoring winger. Kerby Rychel fits that need. Whether or not he's ready is the question, but if he could make the lineup and score anywhere between 17-25 goals (have a Jenner or better rookie year), then there's nothing wrong with having him here.

His style dictates that he'll score at least some goals. The question is, will the rest of his game be close enough to ready? Learning the pro game is a BIG step from juniors.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
I'm terrified that we're having this discussion. I don't want any of these guys anywhere near the big club for at least another season.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Wennberg will only make the CBJ if it's in a top-6 role, IMO ... so pencil him in for Springfield as well.

This where I'm at. We MIGHT see one of the 3 up here at some point this season. Wennberg looks to have the greatest potential, but I actually feels he needs a year in the AHL more than the other two because of his game and role.

Johansen took 3 years post draft, and he was a solid 4th overall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad