Post-Game Talk: Its a Trap

TKB21

Oct 27, 2013
Chance to gain two points on almost everyone in the pacific. Playing a team that has lost 5 straight. Of course the oilers lay a huge egg and look absolutely pathetic while doing it. It’s not like Arizona were even good, you can see why they had lost 5 straight...

Reactions: tardigrade81

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
We're 8-2-2 in our last 12 games, some of which were some of the most important games of the season. The Oilers have come up big recently, and we're second in the division with games in hand. Plus we have #1 and #2 in scoring. I'm extremely happy with how the season is unfolding, so I'm perfectly okay with us dropping a stinker every now and then.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
He's been 1/4th of the forward core on what has been one of the top pk units all year on a team with no viable option to replace him since Granlund flopped
We got by when he was a healthy scratch. He just follows the puck anyway, he has no ability to think ahead of the play.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Am I the only one seeing us losing to the Sharks!?:skeptic:
Probably not, there are always a bunch of posters feeling the need to say something similar before every each game.

The reality is of course that there are no games where you can be certain we win, that's just how it is in this league/sport.

Boston has lost against Detroit and Ottawa this season, Washington lost against New Jersey and Montreal, and St Louis lost against Anaheim and Buffalo.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
Expected docile effort, a bit disappointing.

Now what I REALLY hope does not happen... just because Koskinen lost, Tippett goes back to Smith vs SJ. Koskinen is the better goaltender, full stop.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Probably time to put Benson with McDavid and pop Archibald back down with Sheahan and Russell.

It's tough, it was a big spot for some movement, but I understand. The emotional high that was Saturday, a few days off, it can be tough to get that motor going again.

They need to be better, but I'm not going to harpoon them for this, sometime it ain't your night. The Oilers have come off a stretch that was really good. The key is leaving this as one outlier loss and get back to finding success.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Chance to gain two points on almost everyone in the pacific. Playing a team that has lost 5 straight. Of course the oilers lay a huge egg and look absolutely pathetic while doing it. It’s not like Arizona were even good, you can see why they had lost 5 straight...
At the same time you knew Arizona would come out hungry for a win at home. But still. Being shut out is embarrassing

cobra427

May 6, 2012
That wasn't an awful game... they got beat by the better team on the night.

There was effort there by the Oilers and they actually played decent hockey after that admittedly weak 1st period... it's just that the Coyotes played a textbook defensive game and kept most scoring chances to the outside which meant the Oilers really couldn't capitalize on the chances they did have because the scoring lanes were always tied up and it was hard to generate good scoring chances.

Full credit to the Coyotes on the team wide effort in that game.

Koskinen was every bit as good as Raanta as the 2 goals that beat Koskinen were impossible to stop... one on a skate blade own goal and the perfect thread the needle pass to a quick shot which was just out of his reach as he came across the crease.

Koskinen should have been one of the 3 stars imo as he was very solid all night and made some exceptional saves as well.

Oilers had a few decent chances but Raanta played well overall and the team D on the Coyotes was better on the night... making several Oilers players less effective than they should/could have been.

Yotes were drowning in their last 10 games and were simply the more organized, determined and desperate team on the night.

Were the Oilers **** tonight? No... but they were the less structured of the 2 teams out there and the Yotes found a way to bury 2 chances that they had... one semi-fluky one and the other a real sharp play by Hall threading the needle to Garland who made a tough re-direction to score.

It's the bounce back from this game for the Oilers that will tell the story of whether they can learn from this game... work on a plan to bust through a tough defensive structure like they were stifled with tonight... and come out and bust through offensively in their homestand coming up.

I think this is a blip in an otherwise solid uptrend for this team and they will bounce back strongly in their upcoming games.

8-2-2 is a solid stretch of hockey and this was just a rare dry night where the offense dries up vs a stifling team.

They had scored 52 goals in their last 11 games which is a phenomenal 4.73 goals per game over that stretch... so I don't think this 1 shutout is going to instantly erase the offensive heat that the team has been conjuring up recently.

Move on... give credit to Arizona for a game well played and rip into the next teams they play with the type of effort they have been providing over the last month of hockey and this team will be fine rolling into the stretch run heading for a ~100 pt season and a playoff spot.
Coyotes fan, great post, agree with your analysis of the game/teams tonight, was at the game, had nice conversations with a number of Oiler fans, very classy.

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
We played pretty lack luster, but let's not go on thinking the yotes utterly dominated the game. They had 2 lucky bouncesvthat literally ended up in the back of the net and that was the differance. It was a boring game from start to finish which is pretty much coyotes in a nutshell

Like everyone else is quick to point out we are 8-2-2 in are last 12. And yeah we didnt make up any points but more importantly we didnt lose any either amd still hold game in hands.

Now lets gooooo

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
It was an awful game and it sucks that it came against a team that's chasing them but lets calm down and put this in perspective. They just came off of a 8-1-2 stretch in which they were playing very high level hockey against a lot of good teams so they were long overdue for a clunker. Just burn the game film and move on to San Jose.

edmoil3

Mar 26, 2010
Tippett said he was concerned about energy
Levels for a couple days.

If he was so concerned why not change the line up a bit and dress benson?

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Arizona played a more desperate game
I mean, how many shots did they block?

Oilers had an emotional letdown, no doubt about it...going from the fires of a heated Battle of Alberta to a half-empty rink with little atmosphere is a tough turnaround

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
It's not 1 game. This is what this team does. They look like world beaters, get a fat head, and then **** the bed because they refuse to show up to play a first period against a team they assume they're better than. If they come out flat against SJ, we could easily see a February record reminiscent of our terrible December.

I know we're safely in a playoff spot for now, but this has been plaguing us all season, even in our 5 game winning streak to start the year, every single victory was "from behind" because they couldn't bother to show up for the first period.

This is a massive overreaction to one game.
They've been consistent in the 10 games prior to this one. outscoring teams like the Bruins, Leafs, Preds, Coyotes, Flames and Blues 43-24 and playing the right way getting those victories. This isn't a Cup contender, there's going to be some ebbs and flows in their game.

If they lose to San Jose, I can see cause for concern but I'd chalk last night up to shit happens. Coming off the highest of emotional highs playing a team in a quiet arena on choppy ice, it's just one of those games that happens in a long season.

Last edited:

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
If you can sit through 60 minutes of watching the Arizona Coyotes play hockey then you might have a second career as a saint or a monk.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
If you can sit through 60 minutes of watching the Arizona Coyotes play hockey then you might have a second career as a saint or a monk.

I only fell asleep 4 times.

Anybody else have trouble with the telecast. 2 of the SN channels carrying the game dropped out in the 2nd period. Pixallation followed by a screen with "this channel is temporarily unavailable" So that I missed the two goals scored in a long boring hockey game. Finally I noticed that Shaw channel 298 was working and also had the game on.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
one game isn't cause for worry, it happens.

what I would like to see now is Sharks get feasted on.

but just like ARI without OEL and Demers, Sharks are without Couture and Hertl so........

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
This is a massive overreaction to one game.
They've been consistent in the 10 games prior to this one. outscoring teams like the Bruins, Leafs, Preds, Coyotes, Flames and Blues 43-24 and playing the right way getting those victories. This isn't a Cup contender, there's going to be some ebbs and flows in their game.

If they lose to San Jose, I can see cause for concern but I'd chalk last night up to **** happens. Coming off the highest of emotional highs playing a team in a quiet arena on choppy ice, it's just one of those games that happens in a long season.
This isn't a Cup contender and it's a team with some notable flaws so there's going to be some ebbs and flows in their game.
When I get my “like” privileges back I’m going to have to come back and remember to “like” this post.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Tippett said he was concerned about energy
Levels for a couple days.

If he was so concerned why not change the line up a bit and dress benson?

As a coach if you're concerned about how the team is looking and approaching practice wouldn't this maybe be a bad time to give a player his first game?

We don't know any of the background. Theres been suggestion Tippett wanted Benning to be in two practices before dressing.

Also makes sense that a cap strung club that has to get every drop out of a roster would ride the team when its going and then inject a new player after its confirmed the team didn't have enthusiasm. The game play is not always like the prep play. Pretty sure Tippett will start Benson now.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00