It would be better if the trapezoid was the area the goalie COULDN'T play the puck

Fishboy*

Jun 29, 2017
Azerbaijan
Think about it. It was so exciting to see goalies skate to the corner to try to rip a long bomb to clear the puck. Now that excitement is taken away from us.

BUT, if the trapezoid was off limits for goalies, it would change quite a bit. How exciting would it be for a puck to die in the trapezoid and the goalie just has to prepare for a wraparound and there's nothing he can do about it? He would have to take a bigger risk to stop the puck on a clear too in order to skate to the corner. High stakes play right there.

mercury

Mar 10, 2003
South Philly/SoCal
Visit site
There should be a box, like in soccer. Inside it, you are a goalie. Outside, you are a skater and all the rules apply, including the ones for checking and penalties for mishandling the puck.

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
There should be a box, like in soccer. Inside it, you are a goalie. Outside, you are a skater and all the rules apply, including the ones for checking and penalties for mishandling the puck.

If you make it permissible, under any circumstance, to bodycheck the goalie, then goalie injuries will skyrocket. Even if the goalie doesn't actually leave the 'box', even if he's close to the edge of it, players will run them and say "I thought he was outside the crease" and wouldn't get suspended for midjudging a player's location. Except the opposing goalie is now out for the season.

mercury

Mar 10, 2003
South Philly/SoCal
Visit site
If you make it permissible, under any circumstance, to bodycheck the goalie, then goalie injuries will skyrocket. Even if the goalie doesn't actually leave the 'box', even if he's close to the edge of it, players will run them and say "I thought he was outside the crease" and wouldn't get suspended for midjudging a player's location. Except the opposing goalie is now out for the season.

Sounds like goalies would be very wary of going near the edge of the box.

Fishboy*

Jun 29, 2017
Azerbaijan
Goalie equipment is designed for stopping 100km shots from a puck where the surface area of impact is extremely small. They are NOT designed for getting hit by 220lb men going full speed on skates! Goalie's would get ruined if they were fair game, it's just not safe.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I would tend to agree with making the trapezoid an area where goalies can't touch the puck, but goalies also shouldn't be fair game if they skate to the corners.

That said, it probably would result in at least a little more offence if goalies weren't allowed to play the puck behind the net. No more goalies stopping dump ins and starting the breakout.

theanomaly

you just lost the game
Nov 18, 2010
NJ
Personally I have always hated the trapezoid, but I do understand what they were going for.

That being said, it never made too much sense the way it was implemented. It should should have been let them play anything below the goal line, or nothing.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
It would be interesting if goalies could not go behind the net to play it...so above the goal line only towards the corners (like now) and in an extended area near the net but only back as far as the back of the net. Having a goalie go behind the net to play the puck, virtually untouchable, helps teams trap since the counter is the dump.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad